Smoking Cessation Drugs: Nicotine Replacement Products
Type of Medication:Nicotine replacement
Medications and Their Commonly Used Brand Names
|Type of medication||Brand name|
|Nicotine patch/transdermal nicotine|| Habitrol |
|Nicotine nasal spray||Nicotrol NS|
|Nicotine inhaler||Nicotrol Inhaler|
What They Are Prescribed ForNicotine replacement products are used to help people stop smoking. These products work best as part of a program that also includes education, counseling, and/or psychological support.
How Nicotine Replacement Products WorkThese products provide nicotine without the cigarette and help to wean your body off of nicotine. The typical effects of withdrawal are reduced as your body adjusts to not smoking. The products provide you with progressively lower doses of nicotine until you stop using them.
- The nicotine patch releases nicotine through your skin and into your bloodstream.
- Nicotine gum is chewed slowly, and then stored between the gum and cheek so that the nicotine can be absorbed through the lining of your mouth and into your bloodstream.
- Nicotine lozenges are allowed to dissolve slowly in your mouth to release nicotine at a slow rate.
- Nicotine nasal spray contains small doses of nicotine that are sprayed into your nasal passages and absorbed into your bloodstream.
- A nicotine inhaler contains nicotine that is inhaled through the mouth and is absorbed in the mouth and throat.