Mercury Toxicity

(Mercury Poisoning)


Mercury toxicity occurs when a person is exposed to mercury. Mercury is a naturally occurring metal. Short- or long-term exposure to mercury can cause serious health problems. Mercury has several forms, including:
  • Metallic mercury—a shiny, silver-white, odorless liquid that becomes a colorless, odorless gas when heated
  • Methylmercury—a chemical made up of mercury combined with carbon; mainly produced by microscopic organisms in the water and soil
  • Mercury salts—white powders or crystals formed when mercury combines with elements such as chlorine, sulfur, or oxygen
Metallic mercury and methylmercury easily reach the brain and are more harmful than mercury salts.


Mercury toxicity may occur when you are exposed to toxic amounts of mercury due to:
  • Breathing airborne mercury vapors
  • Eating contaminated food, especially fish or shellfish—Larger and older fish tend to have the highest levels of mercury.
  • Drinking water contaminated with mercury (rare)
  • Practicing religious or folk medicine rituals that include mercury
Metallic mercury can be found in consumer products, such as fluorescent light bulbs, batteries, thermostats, and old thermometers. Mercury, combined with other elements, is also found in some types of dental fillings. Research has not shown that this type of filling is harmful to people. Although thimerosol is no longer used in vaccines in the United States, the mercury-containing compound is still used in some countries. Research has not shown that it is harmful to people.

Risk Factors

Anyone can develop mercury toxicity as a result of mercury exposure. Certain people are more likely to be exposed to mercury. The following factors increase your chances of being exposed to mercury. If you have any of these risk factors, tell your doctor:
  • Working in:
    • Dental services
    • Health services
    • The chemical industry
    • Other industries that use mercury
    • Electric meter repair
  • Eating over 6 ounces of white albacore tuna per week
  • Eating over 12 ounces a week of fish and shellfish that is considered lower in mercury, such as shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish
  • Practicing rituals that include mercury
In addition, pregnant women, their unborn fetuses, and young children are especially vulnerable to the harmful effects of mercury exposure.
Widespread Toxicity in Infant
Infection in baby true
Fetuses and young children are more vulnerable to the effects of mercury poisoning.
Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.

leave comments
Did you like this? Share with your family and friends.
Related Topics:
Current Research From Top Journals

Water Before Meals May Promote Weight Loss
August 2015

A randomized trial found that drinking water before main meals led to higher weight loss than those who were asked to imagine a full stomach before main meals. Water preloading is believed to help create a feeling of fullness or satiety during the meal, which may help curb overeating.

dot separator
previous editions

Fecal Transplants Induce Ulcerative Colitis Remission
July 2015

Exercise Associated with Healthy Baby Weight
June 2015

Mindful Meditation May Reduce Symptoms and Complications of Insomnia
May 2015

dashed separator


Our Free Newsletter
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters »