DefinitionBotulism is a potentially deadly illness that is caused by a toxin produced by specific bacteria.
CausesThe bacteria are found in the soil and at the bottom of lakes, streams, and oceans. The intestinal tracts of fish, mammals, crabs, and other shellfish may contain the bacteria and its spores. Bacterial spores can survive in improperly prepared foods. A very small amount of the botulism toxin can cause illness. People are exposed to this toxin in one of three ways:
- Food can be contaminated with the toxin and/or bacteria. Food that may be contaminated with the toxin include:
- Home-canned goods
- Meat products
- Canned vegetables
- If an infant swallows the spores, they will grow in the baby's body and produce the toxin. Unlike adults and older children, infants become sick from toxin produced by bacteria growing in their own intestines. Honey is a prime source of infant botulism. Other sources include soil and dust.
- A wound can become infected with the bacteria, but this is rare in the United States. The toxin then travels to other parts of the body through the bloodstream.
Risk FactorsFactors that increase your chance of botulism include:
- Eating improperly preserved, cooked, or canned foods
- For infants, consuming honey
- Rarely, a dirty wound or IV drugs use
SymptomsSymptoms begin in the face and eyes, and progress down both sides of the body. If left untreated, muscles in the arms, legs, and torso, as well as those used in breathing become unable to move. Death can occur.Symptoms can range from mild to severe and include:In adults:
- Double or blurred vision
- Droopy eyelids
- Generalized weakness, fatigue, vertigo/dizziness
- Muscle weakness
- Sore throat
- Trouble swallowing
- Dry mouth
- Slurred speech
- Difficulty breathing
- Not eating or sucking
- Little energy
- Poor muscle tone
- Weak cry
More from Beliefnet
Insomnia can make your days miserable and a cure can be hard to find. There are some medications but there is some worry with side effects and the potential for addiction. Music is side effect free and according to this study may help you find sleep.
CPAP May Help Older Adults with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Water Before Meals May Promote Weight Loss
Fecal Transplants Induce Ulcerative Colitis Remission