Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
(CFS; Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome)
DefinitionChronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a condition that causes chronic, debilitating fatigue. It continues for at least 6 months. The fatigue is not relieved by bed rest. People who have CFS perform at a significantly lower level compared to their activity prior to the onset of the illness.
CausesThe cause of CFS is unknown. Some believe there may be a link between CFS and stress, the immune system, toxins, the central nervous system, or activation of latent virus.
|Central Nervous System and Organs Including Endocrine Glands|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Risk FactorsWomen are more likely to have CFS than men. It is also more common in people between 25-55 years of age.
SymptomsSymptoms vary from person to person. They include:
- Unexplained, new onset, persistent fatigue that is not relieved with bed rest and often worsens with physical or mental activity
- Unexplained muscle aches
- Joint pain without swelling or redness over 6 months
- Headaches over 6 months
- Trouble with short-term memory or concentration a "brain fog"
- Forgetfulness or confusion
- Irritability, anxiety , panic attacks, mood swings, or depression
- Sore throat over 6 months
- Tender lymph nodes over 6 months
- Trouble sleeping or not feeling refreshed after sleep over 6 months
- Visual disturbances (eyes sensitive to light, blurring, pain)
- Reduced activities (social, job-related, educational, and personal)
- Lightheadedness, balance problems, or fainting
- Chills and night sweats
- Allergies or sensitivities to foods , chemicals, odors, medications, or noise
More from Beliefnet
A randomized trial found that drinking water before main meals led to higher weight loss than those who were asked to imagine a full stomach before main meals. Water preloading is believed to help create a feeling of fullness or satiety during the meal, which may help curb overeating.
Fecal Transplants Induce Ulcerative Colitis Remission
Exercise Associated with Healthy Baby Weight
Mindful Meditation May Reduce Symptoms and Complications of Insomnia