DefinitionChlamydia is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) in the United States.Treatment includes antibiotics, partner notification, and lifestyle changes.
CausesChlamydia is caused by a bacterium that is transmitted from an infected partner during sex. This can happen during oral, vaginal, or anal sex.
Risk FactorsChlamydia is most common among sexually active teens and young adults. Other factors that increase your chances of getting chlamydia include:
- Being sexually active
- Multiple sexual partners
- Having sex without a condom
- History of STDs
SymptomsMost people who have chlamydia do not have symptoms. If symptoms do occur, they might appear within 1-3 weeks of exposure.Symptoms in men may include:
- Discharge of pus from the penis
- Burning, itchy, or painful sensation while urinating
- Increased or abnormal vaginal discharge
- Vaginal redness or irritation
- Painful and frequent urination
- Unusual vaginal bleeding, or bleeding between periods
- Pain or bleeding during or after sex
- Abdominal pain
- Epididymitis —A painful swelling and inflammation of the testicles, which may lead to infertility.
- Urethritis —The inside of the urethra may become inflamed, which causes burning when passing urine. If scarring occurs, it may cause difficulty with passing urine or block urine flow completely.
- Prostatitis —An inflammation of the prostate gland. Symptoms include pain in and around the groin and pelvis, or discomfort when urinating. It may also create flu-like symptoms, such as fever, chills, body aches, or fatigue.
- Reiter's syndrome —A triad of urethritis, arthritis, and conjunctivitis .
|Male Genitourinary System|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)—A serious infection that can lead to infertility , even in women who never have symptoms. If symptoms do occur, they may include pelvic pain and pain with intercourse. PID causes scar tissue, or may cause an abscess to form in the fallopian tubes.
- Tubal pregnancy —Scarring in the fallopian tube also increases the risk of a tubal pregnancy and infertility. A tubal pregnancy occurs when a fertilized egg cannot reach the uterus. It is a serious condition that may cause a rupture, bleeding, or infection inside the abdomen. A ruptured or bleeding tubal pregnancy is considered a surgical emergency.
- Abdominal inflammation—Chlamydia and gonorrhea may cause inflammation around the reproductive organs, the appendix, or the liver. When the liver is involved, symptoms resemble gallbladder disease , with fever and pain under the right ribs. This condition is called Fitz-Hugh-Curtis syndrome.
More from Beliefnet
Insomnia can make your days miserable and a cure can be hard to find. There are some medications but there is some worry with side effects and the potential for addiction. Music is side effect free and according to this study may help you find sleep.
CPAP May Help Older Adults with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Water Before Meals May Promote Weight Loss
Fecal Transplants Induce Ulcerative Colitis Remission