(Tailbone Fracture; Broken Tailbone)
DefinitionA coccyx fracture is a broken tailbone. The coccyx is the lowest part of the backbone or spine. It is small and shaped like a triangle. The bone curves gently from the end of the spine into the pelvis.
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
CausesCoccyx fracture is caused by trauma. Trauma may be caused by:
- Childbirth, which may result in a newborn breaking the mother's coccyx
Risk FactorsCoccyx fractures are more common in women. Other risk factors that may increase your chance of a coccyx fracture include:
- Increased age
- Certain diseases or conditions that result in bone or mineral loss, such as abnormal or absent menstrual cycles or menopause
- Decreased muscle mass
- Certain congenital bone conditions
- Participating in certain activities, such as skating or contact sports that may lead to falls in a seated position
SymptomsA coccyx fracture may cause:
- Pain that increases with sitting or getting up from a chair
- Pain that increases during a bowel movement
- Tenderness over the tailbone
DiagnosisYou will be asked about your symptoms and how the injury occurred. A physical exam will be done. The exam may include a rectal exam. If the coccyx is fractured, your doctor may feel abnormal movement of the coccyx. You will experience pain. X-rays may or may not be needed.
TreatmentThe goal is to manage pain until the bone can heal. The location of the coccyx and the number of muscles attached to it makes it difficult to prevent it from moving while it is healing. Generally, pain will go away on its own.The area may remain painful for a long period of time, even after the fracture has healed. You may be advised to stay in bed for a day or two, or move only as comfort allows.
MedicationsMedications may be given to help manage pain. These include:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen
- Analgesics, such as acetaminophen
- Prescription pain medications
- Local anesthetic injections
- Rarely, local steroid injections
SurgerySurgery for a painful coccyx fracture is rare and not very successful. If pain continues and causes disability, a coccygectomy might be recommended. During this procedure, the doctor removes the coccyx.
PreventionTo help reduce your chance of a coccyx fracture, take these steps:
- Do not put yourself at risk for trauma to the bone.
- Build strong muscles to prevent falls.
- Wear proper padding and safety equipment when participating in sports or activities.
- Clean spills and slippery areas right away.
- Remove tripping hazards such as loose cords, rugs, and clutter.
- Use non-slip mats in the bathtub and shower.
- Install grab bars next to the toilet and in the shower or tub.
- Put in handrails on both sides of stairways.
- Walk only in well-lit rooms, stairs, and halls.
- Keep flashlights on hand in case of a power outage.
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
Canadian Orthopaedic Association
Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation
Acute low back pain. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated September 8, 2014. Accessed September 12, 2014.
Coccydynia. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated June 28, 2010. Accessed September 12, 2014
Fractured coccyx. Cure Back Pain website. Available at: http://www.cure-back-pain.org/fractured-coccyx.html. Accessed September 12, 2014.
Low back pain. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00311. Updated December 2013. Accessed September 12, 2014.
Spinal cord injury—acute management. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us. Updated December 10, 2013. Accessed September 12, 2014.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 08/2014
- Update Date: 09/12/2014
Newborns who are underweight are at increased risk of complications, such as sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). This study found that higher maternal caffeine intake during pregnancy may be associated with a higher risk of having a low birth weight infant.
Prevent Eczema in Kids with a Daily Dose of Moisturizer
Broccoli Sprout Compound Associated with Reduction in Autism Symptoms
Family Meals May Decrease Risk of Obesity in Teens