DefinitionCroup is swelling in the voice box and wind pipe. The swelling can make it difficult to breathe. This can cause a barking cough.
|Upper Respiratory System in a Child|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
CausesCroup is caused by viral infections such as:
- Influenza virus type A
- Respiratory syncytial virus
- Enteric cytopathogenic human orphan virus
- Measles virus
Risk FactorsCroup occurs most often in children between age 6 months and 3 years. This is because young children have a smaller airway. Airways become wider as children grow. This decreases the chance of croup in older children and adults.Factors that may increase the risk of croup include:
- Attending day care
- History of croup
- Family history of croup
- Frequent upper respiratory infections
- Colder months: October through March
SymptomsCroup often begins with symptoms similar to an upper respiratory infection. The symptoms can come on suddenly and often at night. The following is a list of common croup symptoms:
- Cough spasms
- Cough that sounds like a barking seal
- A harsh, high-pitched sound when your child breathes in, especially when crying or upset
- Trouble breathing, especially breathing in
- Poor appetite and fluid intake
- Bluish color of nails, lips, or around the mouth—This is an absolute emergency. Call 911 .
- Decreased alertness—This is also a serious symptom. Call 911 .
- Restlessness or agitation—This can be due to dangerous lack of oxygen.
- Struggling for each breath
- Harsh, high-pitched breath sounds even at rest
- Trouble swallowing
- Inability to speak due to trouble breathing
- Nausea and vomiting
- Rapid, irregular heartbeat; chest pain
- Rash or hives
- High fever
More from Beliefnet
A randomized trial found that fecal microbiota transplantation had a higher rate of remission in patients with active ulcerative colitis than those who recieved placebo. Fecal transplantation is believed to help the intestine develop a healthy balance of bacteria in the gut which can help the intestine recover and function more effectively.
Exercise Associated with Healthy Baby Weight
Mindful Meditation May Reduce Symptoms and Complications of Insomnia
Chewing Gum After Surgery May Improve Digestive Tract Recovery