DefinitionFainting is a loss of consciousness that happens quickly and sometimes without warning. A fainting episode usually resolves within seconds to minutes. If fainting is caused by another condition, then the condition will need to be treated.
CausesIn general, fainting is caused by decreased blood flow to the brain.
|Blood Flow to the Brain|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- During medical procedures
- During times of high stress, trauma, or fright
- After standing still for a long period of time
- Orthostatic hypotension , low blood pressure when standing
- Hypoglycemia , which is low blood sugar
- Stroke or transient ischemic attack
- Abnormal heart rhythms
- Heart conditions
- Blood loss
- Blood pressure medications
- Medications to regulate heart rhythms
- Certain antidepressants
Risk FactorsFactors that increase your risk of fainting include having a history of fainting.
SymptomsSymptoms may include:
- Sudden loss of consciousness
- Inability to remain standing or sitting
- Consciousness regained without any need for intervention
- Lightheadedness before losing consciousness
When Should I Call My Doctor?Call your doctor if you are having episodes of fainting. This is especially important if you:
- Have a heart condition
- Have a job where you or others may be at risk if you faint. Examples include airline pilot, bus driver, or machinist.
When Should I Call for Medical Help Immediately?Call for emergency medical services right away if you have:
- Weakness or numbness of face, arm, or leg, especially on the left side of the body
- Loss of balance, coordination problems
- Vision problems
- Severe headache
- Rapid, irregular heartbeat; chest pain
More from Beliefnet
A randomized trial found that fecal microbiota transplantation had a higher rate of remission in patients with active ulcerative colitis than those who recieved placebo. Fecal transplantation is believed to help the intestine develop a healthy balance of bacteria in the gut which can help the intestine recover and function more effectively.
Exercise Associated with Healthy Baby Weight
Mindful Meditation May Reduce Symptoms and Complications of Insomnia
Chewing Gum After Surgery May Improve Digestive Tract Recovery