Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
(Lupus; SLE; Lupus, Systemic)
DefinitionSystemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is an autoimmune disorder that causes inflammation of joints, tendons, skin, blood vessels and other connective tissue, and organs. SLE causes the immune system to produce antibodies that attack the body's healthy cells and tissue.Of all the forms of lupus, SLE is the most common and most well-known.
CausesThe cause of SLE is unknown. It is likely due to a combination of genetic and environmental factors.
Risk FactorsSLE is more common in women aged 20-45 years old. It is also more common in people of African American, Native American, and Hispanic descent. Other factors that increase your chance of SLE include:
- Family history
- Celiac disease
SymptomsSymptoms can be mild or very severe. For some people, only part of the body, such as skin, is affected. For others, many parts are affected. Though symptoms can be chronic, they can flare up and get better on and off.Common symptoms may include:
- Extreme fatigue
- Swollen and/or painful joints
- Fever without signs of infection
- Skin rashes over areas exposed to sunlight, especially butterfly shaped rash over the nose and cheeks
|Common SLE Rash Sites|
|Facial butterfly rash is hallmark of SLE.|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Affected skin may become sensitive to light, have hives or red or purple rashes, or have hair loss
- Affected muscles may become stiff and weak
- Affected stomach and intestines may cause nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain
- Affected brain and nerves may lead to psychiatric disorders, such as depression, seizures, and nerve pain and numbness
More from Beliefnet
A randomized trial found that drinking water before main meals led to higher weight loss than those who were asked to imagine a full stomach before main meals. Water preloading is believed to help create a feeling of fullness or satiety during the meal, which may help curb overeating.
Fecal Transplants Induce Ulcerative Colitis Remission
Exercise Associated with Healthy Baby Weight
Mindful Meditation May Reduce Symptoms and Complications of Insomnia