DefinitionRosacea is a skin disorder. It causes chronic redness of the face. Rosacea usually affects the cheeks, forehead, chin, and nose. The ears, chest, and back may also be affected. More than half of people with rosacea also have mild eye symptoms. This may include redness, burning, and watering. This is known as ocular rosacea.
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
CausesThe cause of rosacea is unknown. Several theories exist.Factors that can cause flushing or blushing may trigger flare-ups in people with rosacea.These factors include:
- Very hot or spicy foods
- Sun exposure
- Extreme temperatures (very hot or very cold)
- Emotional stress or social embarrassment
- Rubbing, scrubbing, or massaging the face
- Irritating cosmetics and other toiletries
Risk FactorsRosacea is more common in women, between 30 and 60 years old, and in people with fair skin.Your risk of rosacea is increased if you have family members who also have rosacea.
SymptomsThe symptoms of rosacea vary from person to person. They include:
- Frequent flushing on the face and neck
- Redness and swelling on the face
- Small pink bumps and/or pimples
- Thin red lines showing the small blood vessels of the face
- Redness, burning, dryness, and tearing of the eyes
- An enlarged, bulbous red nose—less common, affecting men more than women
DiagnosisYou will be asked about your symptoms and medical history. A physical exam will be done. Your skin will also be examined. You may be referred to a doctor who specializes in skin disorders. This type of doctor is called a dermatologist. Do not try to diagnose or treat yourself. Certain over-the-counter medications could make your condition worse.
More from Beliefnet
A randomized trial found that fecal microbiota transplantation had a higher rate of remission in patients with active ulcerative colitis than those who recieved placebo. Fecal transplantation is believed to help the intestine develop a healthy balance of bacteria in the gut which can help the intestine recover and function more effectively.
Exercise Associated with Healthy Baby Weight
Mindful Meditation May Reduce Symptoms and Complications of Insomnia
Chewing Gum After Surgery May Improve Digestive Tract Recovery