(Lipoplasty; Suction Lipectomy; Body Fat Removal; Lipocontouring)
DefinitionLiposuction is an elective surgical procedure. It reshapes the body through the removal of excess body fat.
|Liposuction of the Abdomen|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for ProcedureSome common reasons for choosing to have liposuction include:
- Reshaping the body so that it is more in tune with an individual’s ideal body image
- Removing unwanted fat pockets that could not be lost with diet and exercise
- Boosting self-confidence and feelings about appearance
- Reducing the chest size of males suffering from gynecomastia (enlarged breasts)
- Removing fatty deposits known as lipomas
Possible ComplicationsProblems from the procedure are rare, but all procedures have some risk. Your doctor will review potential problems, like:
- Nerve damage
- Blood clots
- Allergic reaction
- Darkening of the skin
- Irregular appearance of the area
- Firm scarring under the skin
- Fluid build up under the skin
- Age—Older patients may not see the same results as younger patients, because their skin is less elastic.
- Experience of the doctor—Doctors with more experience tend to have fewer problems.