Good Food Sources of Vitamin B6
Here's Why:Vitamin B6 is involved in many functions in the body. It helps your immune system and nervous system, and it aids in the metabolism of essential nutrients. It is also found in many foods and will be easy to fit in your diet if you need to increase your intake.
|Food||Serving size|| Vitamin B6 content |
|Fortified breakfast cereal||¾ cup||0.5 (check Nutrition Facts label)|
|Bulgur, cooked||1 cup||0.2|
|Potatoes, boiled||1 cup||0.4|
|Chicken breast, skinless, roasted||3 ounces||0.5|
|Garbanzo beans (chickpeas)||1 cup||1.1|
|Beef liver, pan fried||3 ounces||0.9|
|Turkey, roasted||3 ounces||0.4|
|Salmon, sockeye, cooked||3 ounces||0.6|
|Tuna, yellowfin||3 ounces||0.9|
|White rice, cooked||1 cup||0.1|
|Squash, winter, baked||½ cup||0.2|
|Ground beef, patty, 85% lean||0.3||0.3|
|Waffles, plain, toasted||1 waffle||0.3|
|Cottage cheese, 1% low-fat||1 cup||0.2|
|Nuts, mixed, dry-roasted||1 ounce||0.1|
|Raisins, seedless||½ cup||0.1|
|Spinach, frozen, boiled||½ cup||0.1|
|Watermelon, raw||1 cup||0.1|
|Spaghetti sauce||1 cup||0.4|
- Sprinkle garbanzo beans on a salad.
- In the morning, opt for a fortified breakfast cereal.
- Slice a banana into your oatmeal, cereal, or yogurt.
- Have fish for dinner a few times a week.
- Choose brown rice instead of white. Mix lentils with the rice.
- For a different sandwich, try peanut butter and banana.
- If you take a vitamin supplement, make sure it contains vitamin B6—but no more than 100% of the RDA. Also, talk to your doctor before starting a new supplement.