DefinitionErythema nodosum is the name given to tender lumps on the legs and sometimes the arms. They are caused by inflammation of the fat or connective tissue beneath the skin.
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
CausesErythema nodosum is thought to be a type of autoimmune reaction. It may be caused by:
- Infections from a:
- Bacteria, especially strep throat
- Inflammatory conditions:
- Sulfa drugs and some other antibiotics
- Birth control pills
- Leukotriene modifiers
- Proton pump inhibitors
- Certain types of cancer:
Risk FactorsThis condition is rare. It is more common in females and young adults aged 20-30 years old. Having any of the causes listed above will only slightly increase your risk of the disorder.
- Very tender, deep lumps, like bruises, that change color in the same way, from pink to blue to brown:
- Usually located on your shins
- May also appear on the forearms, trunk, neck, and head
- Associated joint pain and fever and redness around the eyes
More from Beliefnet
Insomnia can make your days miserable and a cure can be hard to find. There are some medications but there is some worry with side effects and the potential for addiction. Music is side effect free and according to this study may help you find sleep.
CPAP May Help Older Adults with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Water Before Meals May Promote Weight Loss
Fecal Transplants Induce Ulcerative Colitis Remission