(Histiocytoma; Benign Fibrous Histiocytoma)
DefinitionA dermatofibroma is an very common skin growth. It is a small, firm bump on the skin. The dermis layer of skin contains nerve endings, glands, and vessels. The bump is an overgrowth of the tissue in the dermis layer. The bump is generally pinkish-brown in color. It is often found on the legs. Sometimes more than one appears. Generally, they are harmless and are not connected to skin cancer.
|Layers of the Skin|
|In dermatofibroma, the overgrowth occurs in dermis layer of the skin.|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
CausesThe cause is unknown. Dermatofibromas sometimes appear after a minor injury to the skin. This can include an insect bite or a prick of a thorn.
Risk FactorsThe following factors increase your chance of developing dermatofibromas:
- Sex: women are more likely to develop this condition than men.
- Age: adults (dermatofibromas are rarely found in children)
SymptomsThese bumps rarely cause symptoms. However, it is always important to see a doctor about any new skin growth. Dermatofibromas are:
- Usually reddish-brown in color
- Are darker in individuals with darker skin
- May change color over time
- Found most often on the legs, but may also appear on the arms or torso of the body
- Small in size (3-10 millimeters)
- Very firm to touch
- Sometimes itchy or sensitive when touched
- Raised from the skin and may bleed if damaged (eg, a dermatofibroma can bleed if you shave over it)
DiagnosisYour doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history. A physical exam will be done.A dermatofibroma is diagnosed by sight and touch. Your doctor may also squeeze the skin over the bump. When squeezed together, a dimple will form.If diagnosis is not certain, the bump can be surgically removed. The removed tissue will be examined under a microscope.
More from Beliefnet
Insomnia can make your days miserable and a cure can be hard to find. There are some medications but there is some worry with side effects and the potential for addiction. Music is side effect free and according to this study may help you find sleep.
CPAP May Help Older Adults with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Water Before Meals May Promote Weight Loss
Fecal Transplants Induce Ulcerative Colitis Remission