1. Melt 2 ounces of unsweetened chocolate. Let cool.
2. Sift 1/2 cup of sugar.
3. Beat one egg until light. Add the sugar to it gradually and beat until creamy.
4. Add melted chocolate and then add 1 tablespoon melted, cooled butter.
5. Sift 1 cup of all-purpose flour. Resift with 1/2 teaspoon baking powder. Add to the egg mixture in three parts, alternating the thirds with 1/2 cup of milk in three parts. Beat until smooth after each addition.
6. Pour into a buttered pudding mold. Cover with waxed paper tied down with a rubber band and steam in a kettle for one hour.
This pudding tips nicely out of its mold and looks like a baked hat. It is delicious with a raspberry puree, or with whipped cream. Some people like it sliced with a little jam. Steamed puddings have a wonderful satiny texture: half a pudding, half a cake and the nicer half of each.