Your Charmed Life

Your Charmed Life

Go Ahead, Make My Day

posted by Victoria Moran

I had the best day on Sunday, largely because of the people in it. First I met two folks from church before the service. Charlana is a singer and Bruce is a dancer—boy, is he! He has that Fosse thing going on—totally engaging. I don’t know either Bruce or Charlana very well yet, but we’re in a class together and I wanted to find out more of what makes them tick. What it is (or seems to me) is great expectations. They have them. I have them. And they’re not misplaced.

I feel sad when people give up their expectations. Life bats us about and we think, “I’m too old to dance,” or “There are better singers than me.” But with great expectations, there’s a way. There’s always a way. When we’re around people who know that, we know it too.

Later, I had lunch with two colleagues. Diana has had success with several self-published books and wanted to talk about publishing; Janet is touring with her new book, Writing Down Your Soul, and we just wanted to meet. We had a lovely macrobiotic lunch at Mana on the Upper West Side and then, on a whim, headed for the Nicholas Roerich Museum. Roerich was a Russian painter, writer, and mystic who moved to the Himalayas after the Russian Revolution and painted incredible, spiritual works that appear to be back-lit somehow. The colors—the blue shades especially—are otherworldly, particularly astounding given that many of his paintings were done on cardboard. (Getting large canvases to the Himalayas in 1923 must have made for, literally, quite a trek. See Roerich’s “Bridge of Glory,” below.)

roerichglory.jpgI’ve wanted to go to this museum for over four years. I was first captivated by Roerich’s work at twenty. I was a librarian at the Olcott Library & Research Center at the Theosophical Society in America, and we had some books that contained copies of his works. Then, on tour with my book Younger by the Day in 2005, I was in LA and went to see a spiritual healer. His apartment was modest, but he had several huge, breathtaking Roerichs. When I commented on them, he said, “You should go to the museum when you get back to New York.” I said I would. I believed I would. But it took that combined energy—Diana, Janet, myself—to catapult me from “gonna do that sometime” to “This is the day.”

cute pig pic.jpgIn the evening, William (that’s my husband) and I went to a thank-you event for donors to Farm Sanctuary, one of our favorite charities. (They take in animals that were downed at slaughterhouses or subject to abuses greater than even the grisly factory-farm norms. The photo is the new paperback of the co-founder’s book, Farm Sanctuary: Changing Hearts and Minds About Animals and Food.) Anyway, it was so nice: in a lovely little restaurant, Broadway East, way downtown. It wasn’t great big like a lot of these events, so it was easy to talk with people and get to know them. He probably wouldn’t admit, but I know William liked it that Joan Jett was there (he’s a fan), and I got to reconnect with a woman I knew seventeen years ago in a support group where we were all working through what had been holding us back. Seeing her—beautiful, elegant, sophisticated, doing work that is changing the world—was such a gift. Seeing how far she’s come told me that I’ve come a ways, too. (And we met an attorney who makes cigar-box guitars. I mean, how cool is that?)

Then we came home and hung out with Bobby (our cat) and watched a pivotal episode of Big Love. It was all just right. Every day is a gift from God. When I make the effort to populate one of them with so many of His amazing children, it feels that I may be giving God a little gift, too.

watzabatza

posted March 18, 2009 at 10:41 am

or just we say.. a great Sunday event.. :-)

Your Name

posted March 18, 2009 at 10:51 am

Thanks for sharing your day and enjoying it so much. I learned about Roerich. I had not heard of him before, so thanks and may we all have good days, or at least remember to appreciate the good ones and not think so hard about the ones that are not as much fun.

KT

posted March 18, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Thanks for reminding me to get out there and do things that feed my soul. With work and family I tend to be either head down getting through the day or feet up trying to recover from getting through the day. Then suddenly I look up and realize how small my world feels and how much I need to reach out beyond myself. I need to remember to get and and look around, to experience something different. A farmer’s market, the Japanese Garden, the Art Museum, lunch with a friend instead of at my desk. Making connections with beauty and friends makes life so much more beautiful and rewarding.

AllisonO

posted March 18, 2009 at 3:59 pm

I so love that you had this amazing day and then went home to watch Big Love. I am fascinated with that show.

Ryan

posted March 18, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Indeed, every day is a gift from god.

Angela

posted March 19, 2009 at 12:31 am

Every day is a gift from God and appreciating the things that make our days good, like you have, is a way to remain healthy and happy.
Angela
Backlinks

Sue

posted March 19, 2009 at 6:07 pm

This makes me remember what life should be like–thank you for sharing your gift–you are wonderful!

Izzy

posted May 31, 2009 at 8:16 pm

Being at one with God give us all insurance that we will be OK. Go travels with me in my heart everywhere I go and I would be lost without him. Thank you for the lovely post.

Toni

posted July 10, 2009 at 6:41 am

Wow! Thanks for sharing your gift ;)
Solarenergie

IsaGuha

posted July 21, 2009 at 6:17 am

I really enjoy reading your blog. Keep up the good work.
Resveratrol ultra

Dazzle White Pro

posted July 25, 2009 at 4:36 am

I read your article such a really wonderful post i like it

Dazzle White Pro

posted July 25, 2009 at 5:43 am

Very intersting site i like it because this site has good information all of user
dazzle white Review

Resveratrol

posted August 17, 2009 at 8:21 am

Really a educative and informative post, the post is good in all regards,I am glad to read this post.
Resveratrol

Wright

posted September 8, 2009 at 6:53 am

blueberries, cranberries and red wine. It is mostly concentrated in red wine. It is known as ‘phytolexin’, which is produced by plants to fight the bacterial and fungal infections of the
plant

Wright

posted September 8, 2009 at 6:58 am

now a days Resveratrol considered as the most potent anti oxidant of 21st century. Resveratrol is found in the skin of certain plants such as red grapes, raspberries, mulberries,blueberries, cranberries and red wine. It is mostly concentrated in red wine.

biGluv

posted October 29, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Thanks for your valuable matter

Florence

posted November 10, 2009 at 12:34 am

cool contacts

Acai berry

posted November 14, 2009 at 4:10 am

Oh so how did your experience with Charlana and Bruce.
Acai Berry

california tourist info

posted November 16, 2009 at 2:50 am

Reise Abenteuer

posted November 23, 2009 at 11:26 am

Colon Cleanse

posted November 24, 2009 at 4:11 am

Thank you for the sensible critique. Me & my neighbour were preparing to do some research about that. We got a good book on that matter from our local library and most books where not as influensive as your information. I am very glad to see such information which I was searching for a long time.This made very glad
m

July Smith

posted December 10, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Good to be you :)

Joshua

posted December 15, 2009 at 10:40 pm

That’s fantastic. I’m glad that you shared this post with us, It helped brighten up my day. Sexually Attract Women

AVS4YOU

posted April 24, 2011 at 10:07 pm

i can’t agree anymore with Angela..best to you!

health insurance Michigan

posted July 20, 2011 at 12:29 am

Angela, makes a good point. We should live life to the extreme everyday as we never know what the next day holds.

appliance repair Newport Beach

posted September 15, 2011 at 3:52 am

Search engine optimization needs a good search engine optimizer plan. Just one in all these strategies can make a giant distinction in your websites position and firm your web site brings you. #niotrans

bmw repair in st george

posted July 6, 2013 at 11:05 am

The internet site taste is ideal, the articles is in reality excellent . Outstanding activity, cheers. Thanks to your time.

foreign auto repair

posted July 6, 2013 at 11:16 am

Wonderful story, Your writing taste has been amazed me. I think that you should write more on this topic. Thanks

Tomorrow is my swan song ...
Hi, friends -- I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I would be giving up this blog at the end of my contract period. It's not an easy parting, since I look forward to our chats, but I haven't been able to figure out how to blog every day, have something worth reading every day, and still keep enou

posted 5:53:10pm Dec. 14, 2009 | read full post »

My top 10 favorite posts of 2009
As my career as a daily blogger ends, I've looked back over the year and pulled out my favorite posts, the ones that meant the most to me, or that I had the most fun writing. I hope you'll enjoy reading (or rereading) these. It's been a privilege to share my thoughts with you.Victoria's Victorious B

posted 7:08:45am Dec. 14, 2009 | read full post »

Preparing for Christmas
I took a class on mysticism the other night at The NY Open Center. The instructor was Jon Mundy, Ph.D., who publishes Miracles magazine. He had copies available -- it's wonderful -- and one tiny article caught my eye. I reproduce it here for your Yuletide pondering:Did You Know?from Miracles, N

posted 8:35:03am Dec. 11, 2009 | read full post »

Peace on Earth ... but maybe not quiet ...
I just visited The Writers Room. It is a wonderful place where serious writers write lots and lots of real books: the evidence is on shelves when you walk in. I'm grateful that three professional contacts wrote me glowing recommendations and thrilled that I've been invited to join. But I don't think

posted 5:03:59pm Dec. 10, 2009 | read full post »

Do You Use the Guest Towels? -- a guest blog from Elizabeth Grant
Do You Use the Guest Towels?  by Elizabeth A. Grant One of the greatest obstacles I see with clients is that people have trouble valuing themselves highly. Somewhere along the line, they took on a belief that they aren't worth much. A friend of mine is an artist, and she's really struggling wit

posted 10:40:34am Dec. 09, 2009 | read full post »