Your Charmed Life

Your Charmed Life

Victoria’s Victorious Bailout Plan

posted by Victoria Moran

Everybody else has a bailout plan for the economic woes facing our country and the world, so I figured I could come up with one, too.

My plan isn’t national and political; it’s personal and spiritual. I started formulating these ideas in late October when I was invited to Iceland to inspire people there in face of their nation’s economic collapse. I’ve honed then some since, so you’re getting the most up-to-date version. I used a slight variation on these yesterday when I spoke at Unity Church of Delray Beach (Florida), and I’m writing to you from the charming “main drag” of Delray, inhaling ocean air and feeling very grateful for being alive on earth right this minute.

The Plan

1. Live richly. You can live richly on just about any amount of money. When I was a single mom living in a little cabin in the MIssouri Ozarks without much income, I found ways for my daughter and me to live richly. We belonged to a food coop and got high-quality groceries at a deep discount. The library gave us the wisdom of the ages. We even got facials and manicures for a song at the local beauty school. My daughter tells me now that she never knew we were poor. That’s because we weren’t. As the late film producer Mike Todd once said, “I’ve been broke, but I’ve never been poor.”

2. Watch your words. Words are powerful. Why else do you think the guy who made off with $50 million of other people’s money is named Made-Off? But seriously: watch out for saying things like “I can’t afford it,” or “I hear about all these layoffs and I know I’ll be next.” Use your words to uplift yourself and others — now more than ever.

3. Keep good company. Downers will bring you down. Avoid the naysayers as much as you can. If you work with a naysayer (or sleep with one), invite enough positive people into your life to offset their negativity. I talk with a beautiful positive person every single morning, the Broadway and opera singer, Sherry Boone. When I say, “How are you?” she says, “Blessed and highly favored.” And she even says it on what looks like a “bad day.” Also, choose good company when you turn on the TV: too much woe-is-us news just goes into your psyche and impedes the brilliant ideas you could come up with for making things better.

4. Practice tithing. Tithing is giving 10 percent of your income to the people and organizations that give you your spiritual nourishment, and/or to those causes that you believe are doing the work of God (Goddess, Allah, Higher Power, whatever) on earth. Tithing not only enriches the world, but it guarantees your own prosperity in a way that is mystical, magical, and unerring. Read anything by Catherine Ponder for more details.

5. Take really good care of your money. In other words, clean up your financial life. Figure out a way to live debt-free. A life-saving book to help you out is How to Get Out of Debt, Stay Out of Debt, and Live Prosperously, by Jerrold Mundis. Money is a gift from God, like everything else. Value it, along with all your other gifts — your body, your talents, your loved ones, and the tiny joys in this deliciously imperfect day.

6. Look for good (God) in everything.  Of course things can happen to any of us that are scary, uncomfortable, and painful. Losing a job or a home can certainly be in this category. Even so, many, many times losses lead to greater good than we could possibly imagine. I wouldn’t be writing this blog (and writing books and speaking all over the place and being on TV and radio and having an altogether fabulous life) if I hadn’t once been fired.

I was pregnant with my daughter and working as an assistant editor for Quest Books (Theosophical Publishing House). I loved the job (Quest publishes beautiful, spiritual books) and I needed the job: my husband was working, but with a baby coming, we weren’t going to make ends meet on only his income. Just before I left on maternity leave, my boss called me in and said, “You are a brilliant writer and an excellent editor…” (I’m thinking, “We should have these  talks more often”), but she went on to say, “You are clerically incompetent. It may just be because you’re pregnant, but I can’t afford to have you back.”

I was devastated and embarrassed and afraid. But when my daughter was born and I fell in love with her at first sight, I was glad I wouldn’t be going back to work in six weeks, even though the lost income was looming large. But I found a part-time freelance job writing real estate ads (“Your dream home!” “Just a little TLC…” “This one won’t last!”) and started getting more magazine work. Within eight months, I was bringing in as much money as I had working outside the home. And I got to be with my daughter. And, even though I didn’t know it then, I was at the starting point of a long road leading to the amazing career and  life I have now.

Obviously, we have to be caring, compassionate, supportive, and helpful to anyone directly affected by the current economic situation, and if you yourself are directly affected, you need to be caring, compassionate, supportive, and helpful to yourself. At the same time, we have to hold in mind for ourselves and others, “This is not,” as a mentor of mine used to say, “the end of the story. It’s just a twist in the plot.” Hang in. Live richly. Watch your words. Keep good company. Practice tithing. Take good care of your money. And look for the good, the God if you will, in everything. It’s in there somewhere.

Theresa

posted February 2, 2009 at 9:30 am

Yes, one can certainly live richly during financial hard times. Although I’m working, my husband has been out of work since June. He’s due to start work again in March, but we do have to watch our spending. We had the most wonderful inexpensive day yesterday. The weather here in Southern California was a beautiful sunny and warm day, and we took our dog (a Chihuahua) and picnic lunch to a nearby park with a nice walking trail. We ate our lunch and then went for a nice walk. To my dog, a park on a nice day is like Disneyland to a child, so it was so much fun to watch her enjoy the simple joys of grass and sunshine. It’s funny…I’ve always loved the idea of picnics but never did it, and now that we’re having to live “on the cheap” we finally went on a picnic, and it was rich!!

Julia

posted February 2, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Ryan

posted February 2, 2009 at 7:51 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this blog. It’s exactly what I needed today.

Virginia

posted February 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm

I love to read your writings becauseI am always so inspired by you.

Heidi

posted February 3, 2009 at 11:26 pm

What wonderful ‘words’ of wisdom!

Jeri

posted February 3, 2009 at 11:40 pm

A great bailout plan. How simple. How effective. It’s all in maintaining that positive attitude. Every cloud has a silver lining. What if we lived our whole lives looking for silver linings? Every day would be bright and shining.

Aryn

posted February 4, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Victoria – thanks again, as always, for sharing with such clarity and finding the perfect words to create a sense of “access” to these principles.

Victoria Moran

posted February 4, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Theresa —
This is really a beautiful image. I love thinking of you guys on picnic with your tiny dog. Of course it was like Disneyland to him (her?) — what a lovely thought!

Mary

posted February 5, 2009 at 10:42 am

Thank you for the gracious reminders that it’s the little things that make such a difference in our lives. Your post was the perfect read to start my day!

Marshall Tarver, Jr.

posted February 6, 2009 at 11:54 am

Victoria, after reading your bailout plan I found it to be very interesting and encourging. I lost my job and have no income at all right now but, I’m keeping a positive attitude, an open mind and praying each and every day for a drastic change (financially) in my future. I have children also that I want to be more supportive of. “I have faith that GOD will make away somehow!” Thank you again for the encourgement!

Cheryl

posted February 6, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Thank you for the inspiration that will begin my day! I to am part of the recent layoffs all around the country. I am back in night school and searching for work. I know that by being pro active in my thinking and deeds that God will indeed show me the way back to financial freedom and no doubt a better way of living. I am learning new things everyday! THanks for your blog, keep them coming, it helps!
Cher

maryanne

posted February 6, 2009 at 11:57 pm

I REALLY WAS NOT IMPRESSED, AT ALL, WITH YOUR BLOG OR YOUR USE OF WORDS NOR YOUR THOUGHTS ON ‘A CHARMED LIFE’. SADLY,I WAS DISAPPOINTED SINCE I THINK A ‘LIFE COACH’ SHOULD GIVE OR SHARE MORE AND MOSTLY, GIVE MUCH GUIDANCE…..I READ LITTLE, IF ANY, ON HOW TO LIVE A MORE FULFILLING LIFE…
GOOD LUCK THOUGH!

Janice

posted February 7, 2009 at 10:51 am

Dear Maryanne,
Those of us who love Victoria are sending you our love too, wherever you are and whatever you’re going through. To have taken the time to write this comment full of disappointment and sadness makes me worry that you’re in some kind of pain. I’m a life coach too, but writing’s different, and so’s blogging. When we write, we share ourselves. When we coach, we’re totally focused on our clients, their needs, their stories, their answers and their journeys. Our support and guidance are totally tailored to the needs of the people we coach, even though we can suggest or share anything we might feel is appropriate or would be helpful. Victoria’s posts are wise, grounded in a lifetime’s study of personal development work and reading – so the coach is definitely there. But she’s first and foremost a deeply spiritual human being, who can take the simplest of situations and connect them to the bigger issues that concern and connect us all. If you’d lke to sample coaching to see if that would help you through anything you may be experiencing right now, many coaches offer free introductory sessions.
Victoria, I know you’ll moderate this if you think it’s inappropriate.

Victoria Moran

posted February 7, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Hi, Maryanne — Sorry this blog doesn’t speak to you. I guess that’s why Beliefnet has so many different ones, so there’s something for everybody.
And thanks, Janice, for the response and support. I’ll bet you’re an amazing coach.

Victoria Moran

posted February 7, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Marshall — It was so thoughtful of you to post. My husband saw your comment before I did and he told me about it and offers you good wishes for finding a great new job soon. He was laid off four years ago, in different times than we’re in now obviously, but was able to use his same skills to work for himself and do better than ever. I know everybody’s story is different and everyone’s path takes its own turns, but if good can come out of bad for one person, it can happen for you. I’m holding you in the Light.

Nicole

posted February 8, 2009 at 7:40 am

Victoria,
Thank you for the wonderful article. Last night I was reading “Trust Your Vibes” by Sonia Choquette and found this lovely line that applies “My teachers taught me that when an obstacle appears in our lives it’s the Universe’s way of redirecting us closer to our heart’s desire.” I believe all “hard times” are a gift calling us to remember our spirit’s purpose and to grow. While a period of mourning needs to be acknowledged, I’ve found that life becomes an adventure when ask what I am being called to learn.

Rick

posted February 8, 2009 at 12:01 pm

A great list. My first rule of unemployment is: “Your next job will be better than your last.” I have been unemployed several times and I have always found a better job. I agree with your views on tithing, there are great benefits to it (Malachi 3:8-12).

MEL

posted February 10, 2009 at 6:19 am

GLAD TO HAVE DISCOVERED YOU! YOUR WORDS ARE INDEED SAGE!! I AM A METAPHYSICIAN THAT WOULD LIKE TO BE APART OF YOUR BLOG…

Barbara Bartocci

posted February 11, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Let me add this:
19 Words to Guide Us
Through the Recession
Clutter less
Pray more
Consume less
Give more
Want less
Enjoy more
And always, always, give thanks to God.
Copyright@Barbara Bartocci
This is from my new book, Grace on the Go:
Powerful Prayers to Ease Money Worries
Perhaps these 19 words can empower
All of us to live in a more positive,
unafraid manner during
our world-wide recession.
Feel free to share this prayer with others.

SAL

posted February 18, 2009 at 6:55 pm

It would be a shame if Beliefnet (or Victoria or fans of Victoria) censored dissenting opinions. Although I really enjoyed Victoria’s piece, I am always interested in reading dissenting opinions (unless they’re completely outrageous, which I don’t think Maryanne’s was). I can see why people who have been affected by the economy might not feel all blissed out and new agey right now–and I think there’s a way to honor that when sharing one’s “positive” spin on a really critical time in U.S. history. I hope Maryanne comes back to this blog and both she and Victoria learn something from their “interaction.” Some kind of teachable moment here:).

posted February 23, 2009 at 7:19 pm

As a fellow writer, I just wanted to compliment you on a great piece! I also wanted to see if you had any words of wisdom for someone (such as myself!) who wants to write, speak travel, etc. I’m an excellent proofreader, editor, and have written many published pieces in magazine and a few Op Ed’s in newspapers. However, it seems that the jobs are so infrequent that I find myself about to take a job whose main attraction is a weekly paycheck (and it won’t be much). Can you give me some advice? I know I would benefit greatly from a mentor, because writing is by nature, a solitary endeavor (at least it is for me). What do you think about getting an agent? Did you find that a necessary step in the progression of your career? Thank you for taking the time to read this. I truly appreciate the light you bring to our world! Cindy Clifford

Manuel A. Leyba

posted March 1, 2009 at 4:58 am

Every thing you have here is nice. I like it. The only problem is we have the Mexican Moffia, the Italian Moffia, the Hells Angels, street gangs and others who could care less how Christians live or think. Just try sharing your thoughts with them. Their first rule is not to be Christian. This is very discouraging. I will share an even better plan. Stick to yourself, pray as much as possible, talk to Jesus when ever possible and watch your back.

Melvin

posted March 1, 2009 at 6:31 am

Thank you for your words of encouragement.
You know,I just realized that life’s struggles are opportunities for God to demonstrate His power in my life and the lives of others.Your words have helped reaffirm the fact that we are blessed even though we’re all going through tough times right now.
Thanks for reminding me to be grateful for the things that I do have and can enjoy right now.
God bless

thelma lawson

posted March 1, 2009 at 7:43 am

I believe our bailout plan was bringing the nation to it’s Knees because we were so rich we forgot to to Bless The Blesser our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I thank him daily in spite of my circumstance for another oportunity to remind myself and others he is the ultimate bail out but he should be the constant in our lives in trouble or not. Thank you for reminding us to stay connected to what is good. God Bless You and Your Family as you continue your Journey.

Sandra

posted March 1, 2009 at 8:28 am

Thank you Victoria for reminding us, as the old hymn says so eloquently, “from whom all blessings flow”.
I have had great times, good times, mediocre and really bad times; but, I can tell you with every assurance in my very being…..God has been in the midst of it all. HE shares our joy, our pain, our frustrations and our conquests. When we learn to rely on HIM and not on ourselves, that is the only bailout we will ever need. And, this is the truth no matter where we live or who surrounds us.

R Chapman

posted March 1, 2009 at 9:23 am

This is a wonderful uplifting thing to read in the morning.

posted March 1, 2009 at 9:53 am

I believe this is an encouraging article to read today and everyday. I am a firm believer that we are always in God’s loving hands. We just forget this detail sometimes way too often, but He never forgets us. We need to start thinking of all the blessings we have every single day… just breathing and waking up is a miracle. So let’s bless every moment with thoughts of caring, compassion, and positive attitudes for every living creature on this planet. This will in return give us the strength to continue this journey called life. Roxanna from the island of Puero Rico.

Charleybean

posted March 1, 2009 at 9:58 am

I believe that that you get what you put in and people get what they deserve. If you live a reckless life you can expect reckless return. If you live for God you can expect a spiritual return. Rich or poor, you can live happily. It took me SO long to realize this. Thank you for your spiritual uplifting this morning as we all need a conditioning all the time. I never get tired of anything uplifting and try to share uplifting words on a daily basis. We are only human so I know it isn’t possible to be this way 100% of the time, just try not to let anyone hear you then. LOL

Ms. Williams

posted March 1, 2009 at 10:28 am

I enjoyed the article, and sometimes I do forget the ones that are there for me, because of the negative that I carry around. But the good is GOD and I am thankful for waking up to read this article and thankful for just being able to see different experience. During my life I always had it handed to me, but as the world is changing, im having to get out on my own and get it myself. Yes, it has been hard but I know GOD is watching over me and my little girls. Change is coming within me, sometimes it don’t seem like its coming quick enought. But that is where patience comes into effect. Thank you and I am thankful for waking up this morning!

Ingrid Taylor

posted March 1, 2009 at 10:37 am

Thanks for a wonderful and inspiring morning read! I’m feeling more hopeful already. From the Ozarks to Iceland to Delray Beach–quite a journey!
Smiles,
Ingrid

posted March 1, 2009 at 11:07 am

Wonderful thought and words. I have begun my journey in the beginning of this year with the Dave Ramsey FPU classes. It’s people like you, Dave and even Suze Orman that are giving us the hope and encouragement to take control of our financial and spiritual lives. God IS and always HAS been in control of my life and will be more in control day by day as the country is not done going thru this financial crisis. We need to show the government how finances should work! Thank you for doing what you do and may God bless you all the days of your life!

posted March 1, 2009 at 11:16 am

I personally find this article to be very uplifting. Thank God for Victoria. I think we should download Victoria’s Bailout Plan in our spirits. And it wouldn’t hurt to mentally exercise it as well. I wholeheartedly believe in tithing. According to Malachi 3:10, it says Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of host, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. “That’s awesome”. God’s word is true. How I know, because I’ve tried it for myself. And last, but not the least, the tongue has power in it. So let’s be careful what we say. May God bless you all!!!

Lisa

posted March 1, 2009 at 11:29 am

lovely & painless steps to take … thank you, victoria!
i’d just add one thing, even if it’s a tad off-topic: if you have your health, and if your loved ones are healthy, that’s what REALLY matters. dealing with breast cancer/chemotherapy really puts this economic crisis in perspective, in a heartbeat. for me, anyway.

Maggie Baptiste

posted March 1, 2009 at 11:35 am

Great article !! I dont always read every one that I see, but this one is right on the button. Sometimes we get too comfortable in our lives to see that others are going through their own problems.
When my children were small, coupons at the grocery stores were my little ” bank account “. The store manager used to give me the cash for the coupons I used, and I hid that for purchases for birthdays, Christmas, or emergencies. I look back now and wish I were still in that comfortable, happy time with little possesions, only my beautiful family which included both of my parents. This proves that where there is a will, their is a way !! And Our Lord blesses all that help others as well as us. Keep up the great work !!

theresa

posted March 1, 2009 at 11:50 am

These are just some of my “own” inspirational words of wisdom that i remind myself of daily. Although i seek out other positive resourses and have throughout my life, times are very trying. And one may feel that it has got the best of them. But this is the very time to put your optimism to the test and, practice what youv’e learned along the way. To find out the impact of the lessons, the true test of our own “spiritual” being. There is much in life to be “thankful” for….it’s in the beliefs of the beholder. Remember “Life is Good” but, only if you allow it to be!!!!
God bless,

Theresa

posted March 1, 2009 at 11:57 am

BE POSITIVE OR BE NEGATIVE…THE RESULTS OF WHICH WILL FOLLOW !!!!
God bless,

kasron stong

posted March 1, 2009 at 12:41 pm

I liked the article Victoria wrote. I too believe in tithing. When my husband and I were younger, and went to church regularly, we always tithed 10%, and there were sometimes we could not afford that much, but we NEVER did without God always took care of us.
As christians, we are suspose to help people when we can.
God Bless

Linda

posted March 1, 2009 at 1:37 pm

that sounds like a good plan if it can be done. with only 1 person working it’s hard not to be in debt especially with credit cards that have to be used for things like food and medical needs, vehicle repairs and emergency stuff.

Renee

posted March 1, 2009 at 2:05 pm

I practice this bailout plan on a daily basis. I started tithing again. After my divorce my income was cut to the point I did not think that I could afford to tith. I have started volunteering with a local food bank and animal shelter. I am now recieving a new foster daughter in a few weeks. My life is so un-believeable again. God is still blessing me every day. God has even repaired my relationship with my daughter. She even volunteers with me at the shelter. I love my God and he loves me. Thanks so much for the uplifting words.
Renee Newport WA.

annalee

posted March 1, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Hi
Your words were very encouraging to me at this time in my life. My husbend who was the money earner in the family (we have an 8 yr. old son) was almost killed on Monday 2/23/09.
Behind his job runs the LIRR train tracks. Trucks go over it all day. One got stuck. My husbend went to help the
man to get him out of the truck because the train was coming. The train hit the truck and the truck took Courtney
and dragged him 75 feet and pinned him for about and hour. He had the weight of the train pushing down on the truck
plus the weight of the truck on him. The fire dept. had to first lift the train with one of their speacial balloons then the
truck was lifted off of him. The accident was on Monday Morning News, and Tuesday’s Daily News on page 16.
The paper says he was pulled from the truck clinging to life. He sustained a crushed brachial artery, and two breaks in his right arm. A broken collar bone, a frctured pelvis, cracked ribs. A nice cut under his eye. He is on a ventilator, and being constanty sedated. He is swollen to twice his size all over his body.
He had his artery repaired immediatly, and now must have screws
and plates put into his broken bones. I think that will be 3 more surgeries. His head and legs are in good shape.
They reduced his sedation to see if he could move his right arm, and he did move his left arm and his toes for us.
His right arm may have some nerve damage. The doctors do not yet know if his arm will work. I think it will though. It is a miracle he is alive.
The detective said that he had never seen anyone survive an accident like this.
If any of you pray to any GOD , or higher power , I would appreciate that you pray for My Husbend’s survival and total recovery.
I believe in prayer. And the more that do it the better.

posted March 1, 2009 at 3:32 pm

Annalee,
God is allowing you and your family to walk with Him through this challenge to strengthen you and to provide you and those around you with countless oppurtunities. By His Grace and Mercy, your husband is recovering although I’m sure the road appears long. God obviously hasn’t finished with your husband yet and will lead him to great works in His kingdom. We will add your family to our church prayers, praying for the doctors, nurses and other caregivers as well.
May God’s peace, comfort and love continue to enfold you.
Give Thanks, be safe and have a Blesed day.
Pastor Randy

Donna Melendez

posted March 1, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Beautifully written and inspiring. You are so correct in saying, “watch your words”. Words have the power to hurt and the power to heal. I’d rather heal. No matter what challenges I face in life, I always find the good in everything. We have so many lessons that are learned when dealing with life’s bumps in the road. I always count my blessing and prepare for whatever challenges come my way by having a strong relationship with God, the word and the positive people in my life. Thank you one again for the uplifting article and examples of living a positive life.

annalee

posted March 1, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Thanks for your kind words Pastor Randy. I am faithful that my love will recover, but there are moments when doubts creep into my mind. I dare not utter these negative thought for I am a firm believer in what Victoria spoke about regarding the power of words.

Linda Roach

posted March 1, 2009 at 8:29 pm

This plan couldn’t have come at a better time in my life. I will be losing my home this month not by choice either. I buroed my husband and my oldest child(son) just a little over a year and a half ago and have struggled financially and emotionally since. I do believe there is a plan for each of us but sometimes it seems like I won’t make it to see what it is. I try very hard to believe that GOD is watching over me and that I will be okay as long as I keep my faith. Please pray for me!!!!

Carolyn

posted March 1, 2009 at 9:28 pm

What a wonderful plan!!! Linda Roach, I’m praying for you. I’ve recently lost my job and probably will lose my apartment next month. It is so scary. I’m depressed most of the time; however, I don’t believe that God has brought me this far to leave me now. So I hang on to His love and I wait on Him to show me what the next chapter in my life will be. So Linda, even though you’ll lose your home and I may lose my apartment, just remember that God is still on the throne and he has something wonderful planned for us. God bless all.

posted March 1, 2009 at 10:30 pm

inspiring words,you have to focus on the things you want,even though thing are not going the way you would like.see yourself as you want to be, not as you are right now. motion forward , that what pray is.

posted March 1, 2009 at 10:57 pm

your plan is awesome full of wisdom and the word of God. you really said a lot about tithing, the word instructs us to give and it will be given to us good measures, pressed down,running over, and shaken together. we have a heavenly father who cares for us and will make provisions, just trust him.
grace and peace.

posted March 1, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Victoria, Victorious, I get it. You my friend are the most refreshing read I have had since the death of Ann Landers, You are a no nonsensical, spiritual balance that a large part of the population on this continent can understand with ease and compassion. I hope someday to be reading a column of yours in a nationally publicized yet local newspaper….You have great insight woman, and we all need that now….Thank you. Rita

CATHARINE CASTELLANOS

posted March 2, 2009 at 12:12 am

you make my day your horoscopes are so true, i recently got married for the first time in my life and i,m fortytwo years old. my husband is only twentysix so, things can get trying sometimes. i read you horoscopes and you got him down to a tee thank you so much….

Brenda

posted March 2, 2009 at 12:14 am

Through God all things are possible…while we may not have a home, a car, or other material things at the moment, and it is depressing and overwhelming to be in this state. These are trials and errors, that prepare us for the next step in life. The next direction that God wants for us. All things happen with a reason. Keep your faith and you will soon fine that you have started over, and are headed to a brighter future…it may take time, however when it comes, you will be happy with where God has lead you.
All of the hard times we are facing right now is leading us down the path to our final destination. The final return of our Lord. The bible did tell us in the end times it will be very difficult for a christian to remain a christian. Please don’t loose your faith in God, even when you are down and out. We would not like to see anyone left behind, especially a woman of faith, we will keep you in our prayers…may God Bless you and your family.

Christina

posted March 2, 2009 at 1:26 am

OH wow, it is indeed what we feed our Marvelous Minds and Spirits that generates our view of the world and everyone/thing in it..you know the old adage “Garbage in equals garbage out”. Reading newsletters/blogs like this one is definitely creates a better vantage point. I am grateful and richly enlightened with every encouraging word. Thank you so much! :)

posted March 2, 2009 at 4:23 am

brilliantassuming

Richard

posted March 2, 2009 at 4:24 am

Going back to the story of your boss and her comments, I can’t fathom how you could be a brilliant writer and excellent editor, and not have any clerical skills. But assuming just for a second that the statement might somehow be true, was that your job description? An editor is normally going to be a full time job and if the company was expecting you to write as well, somebody needed to be in your pregnant shoes for day and see how well she performs.

Reynold Feldman

posted March 2, 2009 at 9:03 am

This is excellent advice, Victoria. Thank you for it. Am passing it on to my network. Interestingly, I’ll be in Delray Beach this Thursday evening for the weekend. Are you still there, Coach? Best wishes from the snowy Hamptons. Reynold (author or co-author of A WORLD TREASURY OF FOLK WISDOM (1992), WISDOM (2000), and WISING UP–A YOUTH GUIDE TO GOOD LIVING (2007).

Donna

posted March 2, 2009 at 9:05 am

It is challenging and difficult to remain positive in these times. Is everyone going through this together? How can it be we are all struggling. I went to college. I encouraged my children to go to college. We have the bills to prove it. Yet, we have no jobs. I have had no income in six months. My husband works but it’s not enough to keep food on our table, the mortg paid and the electric and oil bill paid. I want to work, but I can’t get hired. I have very good skills.
Yes, I remain positive even though every 30 minutes a bill collector is calling. Two want to sue me for money. Yes, I’m still positive, I just can’t pay anyone because I have no work. Why is it other people,
large companies, seem to get “bailed out” yet the commonfolk go down the tubes? I pray, I believe. I pray my phone will ring with a job so I can help provide for my family. I’m close to losing everything we’ve worked for for 20 years.

posted March 2, 2009 at 9:39 am

What a great article. Your message is uplifting and should be remembered these days when most of the news is bad.
God Bless.

linda lyczynski

posted March 2, 2009 at 10:34 am

I REALLY ENJOT YOUR SAYINGS AND VIEDOS THEY HELP MAKE MY DAY I AM HAVIND SOME DIFFCULT TIMES RIGHT KNOW IN MY LIFE THANKS LINDA

posted March 2, 2009 at 10:57 am

The Plan was excellent advice to me because I am also pregnant and going through tough times with my life, money, work, partner, and trying to have the best for my child as well. So I just feel like that was what I needed to read at this point of my life.

Catherine Frye

posted March 2, 2009 at 12:10 pm

This is excellent advice Victoria. Keep up the great work that the Lord has given you. May God”s blessings continue be your.

posted March 2, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Keep moving forward, keep trying to better your life and your prayers will be answered. It will not be long before you find yourself in better situations. This is just a bump in the road, material things are just material things, your life and your loved ones are what matters, and at the end of the day, we are still here. Lots of love.
Your sister.

posted March 2, 2009 at 3:54 pm

I was so inspired by this article. I am personally going through a job crisis now. I have been unable to work due to some health issues that have gotten worse over the last few months; and it is encouraging to have the reminder that “all things work together for the good of those who love the lord”. Thank you for reminding me to look for the silver lining around this cloud. You are in my prayers. Your sister, Debbie

posted March 2, 2009 at 7:25 pm

I love your plan. I have a similar plan but having more of a challenge in the financial area. I have been terminated, back stabbed and pretty much blackballed from positions which the terminator oversees but oh well! The world is much bigger than the terminator and I guess I have finally come to terms and have stopped hating her and her niece who stabbed me in the back, so much, anymore. I used to be more worried about how I’m going to pay my bills, put food on the table, put clothes on my kid’s backs but have calmed down a lot and since have seen food come in when I least expect it, money in my account just in time and a calmer state of mind. I guess just not being so concerned with what other’s think has helped, too. Still looking for work and living one day at a time!

posted March 2, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Donna,
We are all in this journey together. Just as we are all in our personal walk with God. We may not quite be at the same point, but we are all walking the same road. I know that God takes us to what feels like the very bottom before He raises and restores us. That part of the journey He knows we need to truly be thankful for the blessings we have in our lives. While the challenges you face are significant, you will not lose all you’ve worked for for 20 years. It sounds as though you still have your health. Be Thankful. You have your husband, partner and probably one of your best friends on this earth,be Thankful. You have your children, be Thankful. The list of Blessings in our lives goes on and on and on. Keep the faith. As the Ivan Parker song says, “you do what’s possible, you do the praise, I’ll do the miracle, I’ll make a way”. God is bringing about something incredible!! Buckle up and hang on!!!
We’re adding you to our church family prayer list.
Victoria- Thanks for the awesome and inspiring article! A great plan and things we all need to be reminded of regularly! May God Bless you in your ministry as He Blesses us by your ministry!
Give Thanks, be safe and have an awesome day!
Pastor Randy

posted March 2, 2009 at 10:23 pm

Thanks victoria for your increasing wisdom and knowledge.I will start
meditating your ideas,from now on,i guess i need more on meditation
so as to bring out the best in me,to be compassionate to people
who needs my love and TLC.Just bear with me if i am still kinda poor
in everything,but still i am grateful to have a light shining my
unlighted and cruel road of life.How i love to share my love to people
who are most dear to me,i cannot show them the way they want me too
but if given time and understanding,there’s nothing that i will never
do to give them my best,i hope i will come up to a better me after
my meditation.

Willow

posted March 3, 2009 at 1:57 am

I, too, am in a very scary situation. I’m recently disabled, and disability checks will not nearly be enough to bay my bills and keep my home. I’ve been looking for jobs I can do from home, looking to consolidate debt, etc., but I am still not sleeping at night. It is a little comforting to know I am not alone, although, I would never wish a hardship on anyone, and I appreciate the words of encouragement! Miracles do happen!

Victoria Moran

posted March 3, 2009 at 9:08 am

Wow. In the five or six weeks I’ve been blogging on Beliefnet, I usually get three or four comments, and to come here today and see that the bailout blog has 65 comments is really mind-boggling. Thanks to everyone who posted.
Oh my goodness, there’s a lot of pain in our country right now, and hearing from some of you brought it front and center. My heart goes out to those of you who wrote about health challenges and job losses and very, very scary times. I feel as if I know you and wish I could help in some practical way. What I certainly can do is put all your names on my prayer list and hold you in the Light, as people have done for me when I’ve gone through dark places. Everything cycles and everything changes, and knowing that God is just as present as ever has to help.
A couple of things for anyone who is interested: the actual talk I gave in Delray (someone asked if I was still there — no, back home in New York City) is posted on my site if anyone would like to listen: http://www.victoriamoran.com, and it’s right there on the home page. Also, with so many people writing about financial worries, there’s a lot of help in the non-profit, no-cost organization Debtors Anonymous. It’s a 12 Step program like AA, and they have in-person meetings and phone and online meetings. Even if you don’t have a lot of debt but just have money worries, DA can be very helpful. Their site is http://www.debtorsanonymous.org.
And finally, to the gentleman who asked about writing and getting an agent and all, there’s a lot to say on that. I’ll do a blog on it in the next week or two, so check in with the “Your Charmed Life” blog and I’ll do my best to get those questions addressed.
Thanks again to everyone for reading the blog. I really appreciate you all and wish you every good thing.

posted March 5, 2009 at 11:36 am

I’m new to this website, but I have thoroughly enjoyed reading Victoria’s advice and all the blogs from others. It’s inspiring, but at the same time, it’s a downer for me. I worked for over 34 years for a major company in my town. I had been having quite a bit of back problems so in 2006 when they offered a “buyout plan” for those who wanted to leave, I took advantage of it and left in March 2007. Since then, my health problems have escalated. I have filed for disability; however, I can’t seem to get anyone to look at my health issues as a whole. They want to take each thing and look at it individually and then they tell me that I don’t qualify. My case it as the review stage again in our local office. I’d like to ask each of you reading this blog to please pray that my case will be approved. Since I left work and with the escalating health issues, I’ve incurred quite a bit of cc debt. I have been trying to find an individual/group who would be willing to help me get this debit paid off but have not had any luck. I’ve offered to go through an attorney and get paperwork draw up that I will begin paying them back as soon as I get my disability or as soon as I can begin drawing my retirement from my old job (4 1/2 years). But, I just can’t seem to find anyone who’s willing to help. I don’t want to file bankruptcy in no way. I want to get this debt paid of in full. But it along with my health problems are really taking a toll on my body. Please, everyone pray that I can get help and that my disability request will be approved. All I know to do is turn it all over to God. It’s in his hands. Love to all of you.

posted March 6, 2009 at 1:23 pm

I can’t ever remember a time of feeling so helpless and uncertain,I lost my job do to downsizing and I too live on limited funds that do not cover bills,afraid of not being able to pay them is very stressfull,not to mention not being able to sleep when job hunting and is a challenge,I will continue to pray and draw from others postive outlook !

posted March 7, 2009 at 11:04 am

To the person who took the early “buy-out” due to back problems and is now incurring more debt. He/she is unable to get anyone to take him/her seriously on his/her quest for disability. I have the name and address of a very good disability attorney. He lives in AZ but will fly to wherever you are when your case goes before a judge. He’s good!! (I got my disability on the first try!!) His name is Scott E. Davis, 16421 N Tatum Blvd – Ste 120, Phoenix, AZ. 85032. Phone is: 602-482-4300. Good luck!!

posted March 7, 2009 at 11:29 am

This is to the person who took and early “buy-out” from their company and now is incurring more debt due to back problems. I have the name of a good attorney for you. (He got my disability on the first try.) I tried to post it but I’m sure they don’t want someone’s name, address and phone number on the site. Perhaps Victoria, with your permission would e-mail me your e-mail address and I can get the information to you that way. All you can do is check and see. Good luck!!!

jeanette whyte

posted March 7, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Love your article. I have toyed with writing my own books but never did anything. I am a teacher and would love to write for magazines to hone my skills but don’t know how to start. Like the gentleman, I am awaiting your response. Should I check your website http://www.victoriamorian.com?

Victoria Moran

posted March 8, 2009 at 7:52 pm

They posted the info, so all is well. — Victoria

Victoria Moran

posted March 8, 2009 at 7:54 pm

To Jeanette looking to write for magazines — The business is changing a lot but the best place to get info and get started is the annual conference, coming in April, of the American Society of Journalists and Authors. Their site is http://www.asja.org. And you can always pick up a copy of The Writer’s Market, published annually, or subscribe to Writer’s Digest magazine. Good luck.

Curtis R. Bizelli

posted April 9, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Dear Victoria,
I simply wanted to thank you for sharing such an inspiring article with me today. I very much needed it. If we (at When Magazine) can assist you guys (there) in any way and vise versa … I would like to keep the lines of communication open. You can contact me at the entered email address on this form!
TC and God Bless,
Curt Bizelli, editor in chief
When Magazine

Jeanette Blonigen Clancy

posted July 7, 2009 at 10:35 am

Your advice about money–I always known these things, but I need reminding again and again. You have a way of reminding that quickly penetrates to the spots in me that need it.
Thanks!