Year of Sundays

Year of Sundays

Taizé—You’re it!

posted by Joel Gunz

By Joel Gunz

In 1940, the year France was trampled under the heel of Hitler’s army, Roger Schutz hopped on his bike and pedaled 90 miles west from neutral Geneva, Switzerland to the French town of Taizé. There he settled, adjacent to Nazi-occupied territory, to found a monastery dedicated to bringing spiritual healing to that war-ravaged land.

And then a funny thing happened. Though Frère Roger was Protestant, his community was soon joined by Reformed, Anglican and Roman Catholic monks whose driving mission was, basically, “Can’t we all just get along—doctrinally, racially, geopolitically?” Shorn of dogma and cant, his message was simple. As he once said, “We have come here to search or to go on searching through silence and prayer, to get in touch with our inner life.”

Blasting apart preconceptions about how a monastery works, Taizé is an ecumenical monastic community, making it the world’s only triple oxymoron. Last year, over 100,000 young people made a pilgrimage to the site. If you want to taste Taizé for yourself, there’s probably a church near you that offers a service based on its liturgy. Be wise. Go to one. Especially if you’re into candles, because typically, that’s the only light they use.

That’s what we did last Sunday. After Googling “Taize Portland Oregon” (Google doesn’t need the fancy French “é”) and sifting through the dozens of choices, we settled on Trinity Episcopal Cathedral.

Attending a Taizé service is easier and more stress-free than you may think. If you already belong to a religious tradition, chances are, you won’t have to change. Taizé services are offered as an adjunct service in churches of many faiths. Think of it as a supplement to your primary spiritual path—a metaphysical version of Aflac.

Unlike regular church services, there really isn’t a sermon. Focusing on the novel concept of pure spirituality, it features prayer, music and lots of silence. Our service was led by a small woman with salt and pepper hair and a black cassock, who could barely see over the ornate gilded lectern. After delivering a few introductory comments to set the tone (“silence is the first language of God,” “the purpose of Taizé is to find awareness of the sacred that is all around us,” “religious icons are there to draw you into the presence of the holy”) and a few bits of business (“come forward to write in our book the names of those you would like intercessory prayers for”), we were off and running. Actually, we sat quietly. Even Amanda’s kids—not the only miracle of the evening.

The service itself began with the ringing of a bowl-shaped gong, the kind you see at Buddhist temples. After that, it was a sort of round robin of prayers and music—chanting, really, in which a short phrase is repeated, giving the music itself an aspect of meditation—led by a choir and a coronet-piano-double bass ensemble—a perfect arrangement for midcentury devotional music, the era in which most of the chants were written. (Imagine: Aaron Copeland or Ralph Vaughan Williams, with words by Jesus Christ) The lyrics make a point to avoid theology; in so doing, they transcend it:

While you still have the light, believe in the light
and you will become children of the light

You’d have to be an irreformable cynic to argue with that. As Frère Roger says, “Nothing is more conducive to a communion with the living God than a meditative common prayer with, as its high point, singing that never ends but continues in the silence of one’s heart when one is alone again.”

At roughly the halfway point, a bowl of incense was burned, signaling that it was time for the prayers of intercession. In unison, the congregants (there were about 75) read a printed list of the names of those for whom intercessory prayers had been requested in the Big Book at the front of the hall. Sort of like Garrison Keillor’s greetings during Prairie Home Companion, but spoken to God instead of a studio audience. Just a few highlights:

Dakota, healing
Tom and Darlene, rich experiences
All men and women living in Old Town, may they be treated with dignity
People of Japan
People of Libya
Alec
Children orphaned by AIDS in Africa
Cathy and family
That we be open
Spring blossoms and renewal
Sherie
My patients
Janet, forgiveness
Lewis and Doris, health and happiness
Holly
Gerik
Laurie
Billie, Carter and Julie, pilgrimage to Turkey
Love and Joy for Beth and Anne
Sharin
Rose
Andrew
Meaningful work for Evan
Guy
Tom, my dear husband
Joyce, stability and love
Falling in love

I had a couple of additions I wish I’d made to the list:
Max, love and autonomy
Liza, love, piss and vinegar

Do you ever need a hug? If so, you’re going to love the next part: the laying on of the hands, to which, according to the program, “all are invited.” With “all” as the operative word, even I could approach. Take that, Jehovah’s Witnesses!

A cadre of aunt Marthas and uncle Bobs gathered in sets of two at the altar rail to receive anyone who felt moved to come forward to get a hug and a prayer, with the ministers’ hands placed gently on their heads and shoulders. The choir continued to sing—partly to sustain the mood and partly, I suspect, to muffle the prayers and whispered conversations at the altar, lending them privacy in the vast cathedral auditorium.

As men and women filed forward to take their turn, they approached the devotional duos with reverence; they returned to their seats smiling, or perhaps dabbing tears from their eyes, or both. I have no idea what was said in those pow-wows, but I can guess. What we so often need to hear from our aunt Marthas and uncle Bobs (if we’ve ever been lucky enough to have them) is that simplest of benedictions: You’re Going To Be Okay.

I’m a sucker for blessings and, like Amanda, I regret that I didn’t take advantage of the laying on of the hands. That just means we’ll have to go back. Unlike other churches that encourage the exhibitionistic show of emotionalism (yes, Portland Pentecostals, I’m talking to you), these individuals seemed shyly startled by their own expressions; it was as if they’d captured, by accident, their true nature reflected in a shop window—surprised, if you will, by joy.

At every point in the service, there were opportunities to veer off into interfaith Kumbaya sappiness. But that never happened. Though I’m sure that there are as many different ways to conduct a Taizé as there are Taizé services, the one we saw was carried out with solemn dignity, poise and contemplation. It was a renewal, a perfect conclusion to a springtime evening.

Frère Roger (why do I like writing that so much?) spent his life working to reconcile all churches of Christianity, and the favor was returned. Remarkably, though a Protestant himself, he received the sacraments every morning at a Catholic mass—communion usually being reserved for confirmed Catholics. Indicating their approval of his ecumenical stand, both Popes John Paul II and Benedict XVI also administered the Eucharist to him.

It almost requires a state of grace to break down those barriers, and that seems to me to be the secret of Frère Roger’s success. As he said, “Since my youth, I think that I have never lost the intuition that community life could be a sign that God is love, and love alone.”

——

What do you think? Have you been to a Taizé service? Want to share a thought? Drop a line in the comments section.

Terry

posted September 17, 2011 at 5:13 pm

We do a wonderful “Taize style” service on Saturdays here in Phoenix, AZ (and we webcast). Some of our members attend this service only even though we offer others.

Vangie

posted August 25, 2011 at 1:08 am

I have had the opportunity to experience Taize Service in Taize, France 15 yrs ago and it was the most unforgettable experience of my life. I have been searching for a Taize community here in Portland for a long time and wanted to join in. Thank you putting the word out that there is a Taize community here and I will definitely be attending the services. I have to find out the details of time & place. Thank you again!

agm

posted August 16, 2011 at 2:50 am

Joel – My favorite two services are Augustana Lutheran’s Jazz Church and Trinity’s Taize.. (why do those two both have to be on Sunday nights? Though I guess Taize is just once a month.) With both I feel reset, renewed for the week. And not preached at, whew. Without time to go through all your archives – any other services that leave you feeling like those two do?

Pingback: Pentecostal Services at Trinity Episcopal–FTW! - Year of Sundays

Joel Gunz

posted June 14, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Thanks, Rhonda – We’ll be sure to put those “alternative liturgies” in the queue for a future visit!

Rhonda

posted June 14, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Thank you so much for highlighting this beautiful worship experience for our community. I have been telling people about it for several years. Trinity Episcopal also does an “alternative liturgy” service every few months, based upon the music and writing of modern artists. Past services include Woody Guthrie’s work, the Decemberists (just last month) and there will be an outdoor service this summer with a bluegrass theme. Contact Trinity to be placed on the e-mail list for upcoming alternative liturgies (the Beatles, Bob Dylan, and more.) Thank you!

Tim G

posted May 23, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Just discovered thsi today. I am catching up, but wow, thsi quote was amazing:

“It seems that all the great spiritual leaders from the Dalai Lama to Gandhi to Frère Roger agree on one point: when you strip away the conventions and the cloth, the doctrine and the debate, you’re left alone with the one thing you’ll ever need, the one thing that constantly surrounds us, though its form is so simple it often goes right by and you never knew it. But, as Sunday’s Taizé service demonstrated, in silence and candlelight and with the right music and an open intent, if you’re lucky, you might find what you’re really looking for: love.”

You nailed it right there.

Joel Gunz

posted May 14, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Hey Dawn – Absolutely, do yourself a favor and let us know what you think of Taize!

Joel Gunz

posted May 14, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Hmmm…. maybe we should come back and check it out.

Dawn

posted May 13, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I had an Aunt Martha and an Uncle Bob…seriously, you nailed it. They could be those people. I’m seriously thinking I need to seek this type of service out. Thanks for what you do.

Jules

posted May 13, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I haven’t been to a service (really didn’t know much about it so thanks for this!)-but our choir does do a few of the Taize-style chants which I absolutely love.

Joel Gunz

posted May 13, 2011 at 9:44 am

Hey Colleen – Check back in to let us know what you thought of it!

Colleen

posted May 12, 2011 at 11:18 pm

I have never attended a Taize service but I am going to find one and attend as soon as possible. I recently ran across your blog and have enjoyed it tremendously! Thanks for the great writing and honest heartfelt opinions!

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting A Year of Sundays page. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Religion 101 Fellowship of Saints and Sinners Happy Reading!!!

posted 8:38:43am Jul. 10, 2012 | read full post »

Gnock Gnock Gnocking on the Gnostics' Door
When Amanda and I started our church tour, I'd had it up to here with vanilla religion. I wanted to take a walk on the wild side (read: nothing Christian), but it turns out that, for a city that prides itself on "keeping weird," Portland doesn't have much to offer in that regard. And then I heard

posted 1:39:14am Feb. 14, 2012 | read full post »

Home PDX: A Church By Any Other Name
Yesterday, we went downtown to check out Home PDX. If you want to make head honcho Bruce Arnold, squirm, call their community a church.  The word has so many negative connotations, they'd just as soon not use it. Then again, the PDX Homeys have a different word for everything. Take the word "hom

posted 6:54:51pm Feb. 06, 2012 | read full post »

Full-On Faith
It's been almost a year since the inspiration for this blog began with a trip to the First A.M.E. Zion Church in North Portland. It was a predominantly black church in a predominantly black neighborhood and what I wrote about it ended up being our most controversial post to date. To this day, it's a

posted 7:25:08pm Jan. 26, 2012 | read full post »

Happy Anniversary from Emmanuel Temple Church
One year ago, Amanda and I embarked on our Year of Sundays tour of the Portland church scene. To celebrate, we decided to head back to my roots in North Portland and visit a full gospel church, just like we did in our first week of blogging. That's how we landed at Emmanuel Temple Church. Can I have

posted 12:40:57am Jan. 23, 2012 | read full post »