Windows and Doors

Windows and Doors

If God Spoke To You

posted by Brad Hirschfield

If God spoke to you, what would you want to hear? Given that Jews are in the final three day countdown to Shavuot and its celebration of revelation at Sinai, it seems like a good time to ask.
The final three days before the giving of the Ten Commandments are mentioned in the Book of Exodus as a time of preparation. And since we can not prepare unless we know what we are preparing for, I think it makes sense to ask what we would want to hear from God if He/She/It ever spoke to us.
Classically, the answer to this question, at least as regards Shavuot, is Torah. We want to stand again at Sinai and feel that the wisdom which God has for us can flow directly to us – no intermediaries, no nothing between us and The Source. All good. But what else?
You don’t have to be Jewish, and certainly don’t have to observe Shavuot to respond to this question. But if you knew that God was going to speak to you, what is it that you most long to hear?

Maria

posted May 17, 2010 at 10:51 am

I would like to hear when the Messiah is coming. We have waited so long! Centuries of suffering, sadness, conflict. How much longer do we need to wait for this world to be restored so there will be no more broken hearts, tears, guilt?

Nathan Shapiro

posted May 17, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I would just want Him to speak his Name to me, as Moses heard it at the burning bush.

R

posted May 18, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Thank you for making me think about this simple, but profound, question. I suppose that my personal answer would be to ask God what I can do to increase his presence in my life.

R

posted May 18, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Should read “increase His presence in my life” Sorry for the typo.

Emily K

posted May 19, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I agree with Nathan.. I only want to hear His Name
I want to hear, “I am [His Name] with you always”

Annapurna Moffatt

posted May 20, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I believe that the divine is always speaking to us–it’s just that we put up a wall (by saying we’re too rushed, stressed, whatever) that prevents us from hearing.
But if the Goddess were to speak to me verbally I’d probably want to hear that She IS there, and any guidance and wisdom She might have for me.

Dan

posted May 21, 2010 at 3:18 am

I would want God to tell me that he holds me blameless, so that I can once and for all get out from under all the crushing GUILT that his followers have placed upon me!

Heretic_for_Christ

posted May 21, 2010 at 9:52 am

“You know that I am with you and within you, always.”

Donna

posted May 21, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I want to hear Him say, “You are healed.” I know that all my symptoms will disappear and I will be free to return to work.

European

posted May 23, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I Love You!

More blogs to enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Windows and Doors. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Truths You Can Use Most Recent Inspiration blog post Happy Reading!

posted 1:28:03pm Aug. 02, 2012 | read full post »

Apple's "Jew or Not Jew" App -- Should It Be Legal?
An Apple application that let users guess which French politicians or celebrities are Jewish was pulled from France's App Store. but its American equivalent is still available. French activist groups said the "Jew or Not Jew?" app violated bans on compiling information on people's religion and rev

posted 1:18:48am Sep. 18, 2011 | read full post »

Is God A Christian?
R. Kirby Godsey’s new book, Is God A Christian?, challenges what the author describes as the commonly held belief among many religious people that the God in whom they believe is “one of them”.  People, Mr. Kirby observes, too often confuse God’s religious identity with their own, leading t

posted 11:59:56am Sep. 12, 2011 | read full post »

Remembering 9/11 - Part One
The tenth anniversary of 9/11 brings up many emotions and presents some very real challenges, among them how to remember the past without being imprisoned by it.  This video, filmed at St. Paul's, the church closest to the World Trade Center site, is a wonderful example of rising to that challen

posted 2:40:58pm Sep. 08, 2011 | read full post »

Gilad Shalit, Still A Prisoner After 1,900 Days
Below is a copy of the Statement I got from the White House, and while I appreciate the words, I can't help but also ask, "Is this the best we can do?"  United States Mission to the United Nations Office of Press and Public Diplomacy 799 United Nations Plaza New York, NY 10017 (212) 41

posted 9:04:17am Sep. 08, 2011 | read full post »