The concept of defending the body politic — no matter where it was threatened — is both a traditional Western imperative and, when it takes the form of the Body of Christ, a Christian moral duty. Our charge as Christians to evangelize and bring Christ to the darkest corners of the world is at the very heart of Christianity.
This week, perhaps while you were in line getting coffee or enjoy any number of things we Americans have taken for granted, Pastor Yousef Nadarkhani had the heart to stand up before an Islamic court in Iran and defend his Christian faith. Pastor Yousef was told to recant his faith. Pastor Yousef refused.Pastor Yousef is now scheduled to be executed, as shariah law dictates he must be. The response from the Christian community online has been one mixed with revulsion and shock. Yet the governments of the world — and even some major Christian denominations — have been outrageously silent.Of course, some Islamists here in the United States would rather you not know about Pastor Yousef. In fact, they would rather you pay no attention to the man behind the Islamic Curtain.Consider that the Islamic Republic of Iran would threaten to kill and coerce to convert a Christian pastor.What would happen were the tables turned?In the Western tradition, “civis romanus sum” — I am a Roman citizen — used to be the three most terrifying words an ancient despot could hear. These words saved St. Paul from the judgment of an enraged centurion (Acts 22:27) as he demanded to be tried by a Roman court.In fact, so severe was the punishment against those who violated the rights of Roman citizens, that Acts records the commander of the Roman garrison “was afraid, after he knew that he [Paul] was a Roman, and because he had bound him.” (Acts 22:29)
In later years, when Muslim caliphs attempted to levy taxes on the Christian holy sites, Byzantine emperors would disproportionately raise armies and invade Muslim lands. Horrified caliphs wisely reconsidered and discontinued the tax… until the Turks crippled Byzantium at Manzikert in 1071 and the Arabs broke the power of Crusading armies in the 14th century.
This tradition of protecting members of the body politic extended not only to Christian Byzantium, but by the Austrian and Spanish Habsburgs, eclipsed in turn by the British Empire who made such a policy of protecting its citizens a hallmark of their Victorian-era world power.
The United States historically has insisted upon a similar tradition, whether it is protecting Americans against 19th century Barbary Pirates, to tackling Islamic terrorism in the modern day.
Today, the Pax Americana stands threatened by the powers of Islamic fanaticism among many others. For Christianity, the “body of Christ” remains threatened as it has been for centuries, and as Christ assured us it will be.
Yet the tyrannies of the world still prosper in the face of weakness. Why?
For those Christians living in America, we have the unique qualities of being both members of a great nation, as well as being believers in Christ. Christians around the world look to the wealth, prestige, and power of Christian Americans to come to the aid of Christians elsewhere — no different than if a wasp stung your left hand, than one would expect the right hand would swat at the pain shared by all.
Christians in America need to be that right hand for Pastor Yousef.
Pastor Yousef Nadarkhani currently waits and prays for the sentence of death to be delivered at the hands of his Islamist captors. Pastor Yousef’s congregation of 400 is praying for that deliverance. Countless Christians across the world are praying right now for Pastor Yousef’s deliverance.
I am asking you to pray with me. Now.
Ask your children to pray. Ask friends and family to pray.
Pray for Pastor Yousef.
Pray for his wife and two young children. Pray for those Iranian Christians who are serving the Great Commission to spread the message of Christ to the very ends of the world. Pray for all those Christians under persecution in China,Venezuela, the Middle East, Russia, Nigeria, Sudan, and for those struggling against the threat and impact of shariah law in their neighborhoods.
Pray the faith Pastor Yousef so fervently shares is lived not only in Iran, but fearlessly in places where the Christian faith is rarely tested… and therefore rarely tried.
Pray for an awakening of the Holy Spirit here in America, so that our faith may be worthy of the name Christian. Pray for us and our churches so that we may fearlessly live the Gospel. Pray for the restoration of all things to Christ.
Above all, pray for the time when “I am a Christian” gives despots and dictators pause to consider the reaction of the Body of Christ.
Pastor Yousef — and the body of Christ — needs your prayers this weekend.
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters»
Watchwoman on the Wallby Donna Calvin
Shouting from the rooftops, proclaiming warning to a sleeping nation, Donna offers her unique perspective on current events
Some items on Beliefnet may not reflect the views of Doers of the Word Church, Pastor Ernie Sanders, and “What’s Right, What’s Left, the Voice of the Christian Resistance,” all of whom promote this Watchwoman on the Wall blog on their web site < www.WRWL.org> and radio program. The Bible-based, conservative call-in talk radio program can be heard 10 PM-12 midnight, M-F on Salem Christian Radio Network, Cleveland’s powerful 50,000 watt radio station on the dial at 1220 AM & 1440 AM – and over the Internet worldwide at www.WRWL.org. Donna Calvin is a frequent co-host of “What’s Right, What’s Left.” The pro-life, conservative, non-compromising, King James only, Christian program, hosted by Pastor Ernie Sanders, has been airing for over 40 years and has over 6 million listeners.”
- Texas Man’s Pregnant Wife Never Wanted to Have a Gun in the House – But Now She’s Sure Glad He Insisted
- Heartwarming! Service dog helps teen with diabetes
- 9-11-TRIBUTE-2013 ~ 2 Million Bikers Rally To Washington DC vs Million Muslim Demonstration where 20-25 Showed up for ill-timed “No Fear” Protest
- Family dog helps alert parents to abusive baby sitter (video)
- Sept.11,2013 – 3 Good News Stories #3: Fisherman Reels in Wallet Stolen 3 Years Ago
- Sept.11,2013 – 3 Good News Stories #2: Teen Returns Money His Father Allegedly Stole From Elderly Woman
- Sept.11,2013 – 3 Good News Stories #1: “Never throw away an old pair of pantyhose…”
- CNN Breaking News – Poll: 49% Think Obama a Liar
- Page 2-Alert: Iranian diplomat threatens to kidnap Obama’s daughter and citizens if U S attack Syria-MORE PROOF
- Iran Threatens Rape and Murder of One of Obama’s Daughters if US Launches Missiles on Syria?
- Husband, 77, Takes to the Streets to Find Wife of 56 years a Kidney (video)
- Video your US Senators and US Rep must see before committing USA’s help to Syrian rebels!
- A Psalm for 2013
- PETA: Eating Chicken Wings During Pregnancy Could Affect Baby’s Penis Size
- Al Sharpton Confronted by Ex Gang Member (Excellent Video)
- Amazing! A Very Smart Dog Story – Awwwww!
- Miley Cyrus Porn Display at MTV Teen Choice Awards
- CDC Gun Violence Study’s Findings Not What Obama Wanted
- Anti-Gun Laws Boost Murders
- HUMOR: The History Of The Middle Finger
- Attn’y Gen’l Eric Holder says we have no right to possess guns! (Vote in USA Today Poll)
- Obamacare: The Law of Unintended Consequences (or is it intended?)
- When Blacks Murder White Student…Jesse Jackson Tweets “Senseless violence is frowned upon.”
- Gay men sue Church of England to Bless Wedding
- White Couple Horrfyingly Murdered by Black Gang Similar to Emmett Till (Didn’t hear about it?) (videos)
- Prayer Request from Franklin Graham
- UPDATE 8-19-2013 – 47 BURNED – 20 Churches Burned in Egypt: Morsi supporters, Muslim Brotherhood, Throw Firebombs
- Rodeo Clown Gets Banned for Life for Wearing Obama Mask!
- 400 US Surface-to-Air Missiles Went Missing in Benghazi
- What really brought down TWA Flight 800? Investigators want missile theory probed in ’96 crash
- Race-Based Claims That Led to Destruction of Paula Deen’s Reputation, Career Thrown Out by Judge
- Identified – Mystery Priest Showed Up at a Crash Scene, then Vanished
- Are you smarter than an 8th grader from 1912?
- Beautiful Thoughts: I wish the old paths were before us instead of behind us…
- The more you know about Dogs…the more you know about life (pics you’ll love and love you back)
- Facebook Banned Video-See it Here-CONTENT WARNING:Objectionable Words:”Freedom”Opportunity”Constitution”Traditional Marriage”
- Washington Secrets: IRS agent: Tax agency is still targeting Tea Party groups
- DEA agents directed to cover up secretive investigative program – IRS manual detailed DEA’s use of hidden intelligence evidence
- Mom banned from campus for praying out loud
- Mr. President, where is Charleston SC, Savannah GA, and Jacksonville FL? (Leno Video)
- New Video-Sweet Adorable Baby Elephant Makes Big Splash in Texas-Going Viral
- Rights Don’t Come From God Anymore, They Come From the Depravity of Man
- Anti-Obama Viral Arabic Egyptian Video
- Communist Party makes a comeback … Guess where!
- al-Qa’ida Threat: U.S. closes embassies, alerts Americans overseas to terrorist threats in August
- Benghazi bombshell: CNN report alleges consulate full of CIA agents
- Archaeologists: We found piece of Jesus’ cross
- Liberalism Makes It Easier to be Bad
- Ha! Ha! Ha! Jokes and jokes and more jokes . . . . ROFLOL!
- Pope Francis says he won’t judge homosexuals (Video-On Pope’s plane)
- Anthony Weiner ‘Popular’ Parody by Kristin Chenoweth on The Tonight Show (video) LOL!
- Guantanamo detainees can’t get enough ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’
- Now this is my kind of Customer Service! Enjoy!
- New teeth grown from urine – study
- How to Listen to Conservative Talk Radio 24/7 from Computers, Electronic Devices
- Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity getting dumped by Cumulus Media
- Did Obama Really ‘Compare’ an Infamous Communist Dictator to Thomas Jefferson?
- DOJ actively worked to foment Trayvon racial unrest, spending thousands in taxpayer dollars (Judicial Watch)
- ‘You’re Dead’: Pastor Gets Terrifying Expletive-Laden Death Threats After Being Mistaken for George Zimmerman
- UPDATE: Gastly, Comprehensive Details: The Abductions: Inside Castro’s House of Horrors: 11 Years of Captivity: 4 Victims: 3 Lured and Kidnapped, FOUND ALIVE!
- UPDATE: Cleveland Kidnapper Get Plea Deal-Life + 1000 years (Amada Berry, Gina DeJesus, Michelle Knight won’t be dragged through courtroom trial)
- Man, Created In God’s Image, Has the Right and Duty to Defend Life, Family, Property
- NBC Poll: Race Relations in America Have Worsened Since O’s Term
- Family Rescued By Heroic Zimmerman Terrified They Will Become Targets For Racist Hate Mobs’ Death Threats
- Astonishing Photos – Plane Flying to the Moon!
- Kate and Wills announce their Royal Baby’s Name!
- Mainstream Media Pooh-pooh’s Zimmerman’s Part in Rescuing Family from Overturned SUV (video)
- Royal Baby – Heir He Is! – (video) – First Glimpse of the Future King
- Kate Middleton: The Royal Baby Is Born – It’s a Boy
- Our Race-Hack President
- Not a “Little Kid”: Trayvon Martin in Hoodie at the 7-11 (Video Surveillance Footage)
- Reverend Lambastes Sharpton and Jackson as ‘Race Hustlers and Poverty Pimps,’ Calls Trayvon Martin a ‘Thug’ (video)
- Rev. Jesse Peterson: “Black Racism Killed Trayvon … And Paula Deen’s Career”
- GOOGLE plans on implanting chip in brains
- Zimmerman trial turns spotlight on another Florida self-defense case