Watchwoman on the Wall

Watchwoman on the Wall

NEWS!!! – Baptist Pastor thanks God for his “smokin’ hot wife, in Jesus name!” Watch it right here!

posted by Donna Calvin

Carl Edwards won the Nationwide Race at Tennessee, Saturday, July 23, 2011, but his win won't go viral on YouTube!

Watchwoman:  This prayer may have left me shaking my head in utter amazement and 50% shock, but it was sure something to hear!  I may have gulped several times, and I have to say, I’ve never heard anything like it EVER before in my entire LIFE!  We always watch NASCAR and Nationwide and except when they race in California, as I recall, they pray in Jesus name.  But here in Tennessee this Baptist Pastor Joe Nelms of Family Baptist Church in the city of Gladeville, shook the foundations.  I knew this would make YOUTUBE and it wouldn’t surprise me if it goes viral!  It also made our local 11 o’clock news Saturday night — and they didn’t clip it before it got to the part where he prayed “in Jesus name”!  But it doesn’t end there, he still has words after “in Jesus name” taken right from the mouth of Darrell Waltrip, one of the announcers for NASCAR.  This is a must watch! I’m still trying to figure out how I feel about it.  I have many ambivalent feelings.  After you watch it, you might want to share yours at the bottom of the page in the comments box.  ▬  Donna Calvin

YouTube Preview Image

Excerpt from The Blaze:  A Tennessee pastor shocked more than a few spectators on Saturday during the NASCAR Federated Auto Parts 300 Nationwide series race. Why? Not only did he thank God for “Dodges” and “Toyotas” during the pre-race prayer, but he made sure to thank the Almighty for his “smokin’ hot wife.”

Reuters recounts the epic invocation by Pastor Joe Nelms of Family Baptist Church in Gladeville, Tenn:

He thanked God for such things as “these mighty machines that you’ve brought before us,” going on to cite the wonders of Dodges and Toyotas and Fords.

Prayerful thanks then were directed to, among other things,

“Sunoco Racing Fuel and Goodyear tires that bring performance and power to the track.”

But it was when he got to his family that he had fans and drivers unsuccessfully holding back laughter.

“Lord I want to thank you for my smokin’ hot wife tonight, Lisa, my two children, Eli and Emma, or as we like to call them the Little E’s.”

The prayer was quickly captured by many and posted on YouTube, and shows several breaking out in laughter during the normally serious ritual:

Read more: The Blaze - http://www.theblaze.com/stories/pastor-delivers-epic-controversial-nascar-prayer-thanks-god-for-cars-and-smoking-hot-wife/

vivianclare

posted August 1, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Thank you Manxman and Donna for kind words. I agree with Manxman about the sports idolatry. You can add to that the rockstar and popmusic idolatry, which results in pastors assuming everyone shares this idolatry by peppering every sermon with allusions to baseball, basketball, some rock group or guitarist, or a TV show. In my opinion, these allusions actually affirm Christians in their idolatry. Certainly, it shows that the pastor has set the bar for himself very low.

The passage from Song of Songs can be taken by Christians in a general sense, as none of us personally know the people in that Bible chapter. Therefore, although it regards sensuality, it is not a personal comment, it is not about a specific person whom we know. Not only that, it is not a prayer. The pastor could have thanked God for his wonderful wife, or beautiful wife, without making reference to his own sexual desires. Although even in this instance, he would still be making what is an individual prayer a public matter. I think that’s the crux of my objections. He totally ignores any distinction between individual and public, as he also ignores any distinction between the public and the private, in a way in which no society before the current one ever did. We sadly live in a “one-size-fits-all” world, where everything is aired out in public. It destroys the concept of intimacy, of the joys of that special place where one does not let the whole world march in. There’s nothing shameful about going to the bathroom, either, but that still doesn’t mean that we invite the world into the bathroom with us. To blur the distinction is just typical of a society which has lost its moral compass (and I’m sure we all agree on that point), which cannot tell the difference between grilling chicken and murdering 6 million Jews, distributes condoms in schools, hurtles along toward collectivization,and attempts to tell us their are five genders instead of two. I think it would be helpful in general to start introducing a few boundaries again, to realize that we are not intended to exist as just one big mushy blob. Private things should remain private, and public things should remain only public. And yes, some things should be allowed to remain mysterious.

Manxman

posted July 29, 2011 at 8:40 am

vivianclare/donna

I don’t think this pastor was intentionally putting on a show for the NASCAR audience or was trying to make a point about Christians not being stuffy. I think his prayer flowed out of the kind of walk with God he has. I suspect that in his sermons or in his participation at a church prayer meeting, you’d get the same “down home” emotion and plain language he used at the NASCAR thing.

I agree with you that bringing his wife and family into the prayer were out of place for an invocation at a NASCAR race. It just didn’t fit and wasn’t considerate to his wife. However, the smokin’ hot terminology is actually mild and rather simplistic compared to the sensual language used by the lover/beloved in Song of Solomon to describe their sexual attraction for each other.

There’s another issue here that DID bother me, though, with this pastor, and that’s the issue that sports of all kinds have become a form of idolatry that takes Christians’ energy and attention from more important obligations and responsibilities they have in life. NASCAR borders on being a cult. vivianclare rightly points to the fact that far too few children from “Christian” homes continue in the faith. I’d be interested to see if the pastor had as much zeal about protecting kids from the attacks of the educational system or other aspects of the culture. Or if he preaches strongly from his pulpit about members of his congregation working to clean up our corrupt government and social institutions in the name of Jesus Christ.

Donna Calvin

posted July 29, 2011 at 10:09 am

Manxman and vivianclare – Both your comments reflect the wisdom of much thought and study of God’s Word. I have really profited from hearing the conversation between the two of you. I started out with many ambivalent feelings about this prayer, one unlike I had ever heard before in my life. I still have them. I am so glad that the words of the prayer brought praying “in Jesus’ name” to the local 11 o’clock news, but since I’m still pacing at the speed of Charles Spurgeon’s wonderful words in his prayers, it’s a little hard for me to make it over this hurdle. I’m not so sure that bringing his wife and children into the prayer was out of order simply because it was NASCAR — most all the drivers and crews bring their families with them week to week — and we are called to give thanks for all things — but I’m still not convinced that the term he applied to his wife belongs in a prayer. Nevertheless, the first time I read Song of Solomon I couldn’t believe it was actually in the Bible either! About sports! I once wrote a quick email to a local sports newscaster that the next time I heard LeBron’s name, “I was going to puke.” I regretted the term immediately when I saw he used my short quip with my first name only on his program. I was so embarrassed! Sports-a-ga-ga is not only NASCAR fans, but all fans — and I conclude that is why they are called fans — short for fanatics, as we all know. However, the only thing we should be fanatic for is Jesus Christ and God’s Holy Word and preserving God’s Image on planet earth and bringing the Gospel Message of Jesus Christ’s salvation and teaching them to obey God’s ordinances. And that, my dear Christian friends, is why the world hates us so. As Christians we are called by the first directive of God way back in Genesis to procreate and fill the earth with His creations, people. Babies! So I’m not convinced either that a pastor saying he is attracted to his wife is out of order. God designed it to be that way. I mean, look at what Adam said when he first saw Eve. It wasn’t “smokin’ hot” but it was the equivalent. Like I said, I have so many ambivalent feelings about this prayer that I am still having a very difficult time articulating them. One thing I would like to add is how firmly each of you maintained your positions without flaming or getting ugly worldly words into your comments, one to another. Thank you for your decorum! People who are not Christians (and many who claim to be who send comments you never see) cannot keep ugly, degrading, filthy, base words from their text. Now that is what I call pathetic! You both kept to the commands of our Lord to love one another. An associate pastor I was taught by long ago had us do a study once on looking up every scripture that had the phrase in it, “one another.” It would be good for those who speak to their brothers and sisters in Christ to read all of them. As I said from the get-go, I hope that many people will leave their comments here. I am still working with mine and I still haven’t made up my mind. Anyone got any more viewpoints to share? I’m listening! In fact, I am so interested in comments on this pastor’s prayer that I am going to put some clips from these comments in a new post with a hyperlink here where I hope they will leave more comments. Thank you both, Manxman and vivianclare, for responding and if you have anything else to add, it is completely and warmly welcomed! I would appreciate hearing anything else the two of you have to offer, not only here, but on any of the posts I make. God bless you both richly and bring much wisdom and continued growth in your walk with our Lord, forever and ever, until that day He comes again, and you get all the crowns you both so richly deserve following that long-anticipated event! I pray for you, in the name of Jesus! Amen! — I won’t add “booggoty, booggoty!!!” as the Baptist minister did to his prayer, mimicking Darrell Waltrip, the NASCAR announcer who shouts this as the pace car pulls off and all 43 race cars, with engines roaring, punch their accelerators, with much excitement in the stands, with the flagman wildly waving his green flag signaling, “Go, go, go!” and they are off and running, but I will add it to the end of my comment. Soooooooooo – - – Booggoty!!! Booggoty!!!

vivianclare

posted July 28, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Donna, Manxman’s comment is exactly what I thought you would receive, and it is exactly what the pastor was trying to say: Christians aren’t stuffy! However, citing the beautiful Song of Songs is not a parallel to a specific individual standing up to basically tell the world that his own wife makes him horny. I would hope that this would be true, but it is still not appropriate to say this in public. Let’s put it this way, would he have said this at work in front of a boss? I doubt it. And that’s my point. It is a frankly personal comment that he made about his relationship with his wife. The fact that other people in this society pull up their crotch in public does not make it okay, and it doesn’t make it okay for the Christian to do so either. As a member of the audience, is it my business whether he finds his wife “hot”? Not really. And, as a Christian, this does not edify me. Again, it is “me-too-ism”: the Christian pastor trying to show how racy he can be to impress the pagan. Well, this kind of attitude times 1000 is why only 18% of Christian children continue in the faith. There is little distinction between them and the culture as a whole. And why are we trying to impress the nonbelievers with anything else but the Gospel of Jesus Christ? I don’t recall anything in the Bible about the lack of stuffiness convicting anyone of the truth of Jesus Christ.
So, while I understand the desire we Christians have of attempting to correct the egregious errors about the faith made constantly by those who lack real knowledge, I still think this was a tacky way to basically say “we’re cool too”!

Donna Calvin

posted July 28, 2011 at 8:22 pm

vivianclare, you make a convincing argument. I can’t say I disagree with it either!

Manxman

posted July 28, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Love his enthusiasm!!

I’m sure God appreciated it – He’s not a stiff & if He saw fit to have the Song of Solomon in His Bible (which has a LOT more heavy duty male/female sensuality in it than this guy’s prayer), I’m sure He’d understand (and approve of) the pastor’s stated appreciation for his “smokin’ hot wife.”

If more Christians prayed as honestly as this guy, the Church (and God) would be seen as a whole lot more relevant to a world that thinks Christianity is a bunch of life-denying, bloodless doctrines.

Donna Calvin

posted July 28, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Hey, Manxman, I never thought about the Song of Solomon and all the sensual words about his wife. You, too, have made some really great points. Can’t find fault with them. In fact, I told my DH last night that I anticipate that men and women might both have very different viewpoints of this prayer. I hope that many more leave their viewpoints here.

vivianclare

posted July 27, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Hi, Donna–since you asked, I’d have to say I find this tasteless, and somewhat pathetic. First of all, such a comment invites one into the pastor’s bedroom, something which I believe should be private. I’m not interested in anyone telling me how “hot” they find their wife or their husband. 50 years ago, no one polite would do this, because our society understood that there are things which are private and personal, and things which are public. The reason I find his comment pathetic is that it seems as if he is hoping the unbelieving world will see how “cool” and “edgy” he is. As long as Christians continue imitating a degraded culture, there won’t be any difference between those who are Christians and those who are not. That’s how this comes across to me.
In addition, it also strikes me as showing off, essentially, in the same way that Al Gore’s protracted kiss of Mrs. Gore in public did. And as far as the pastor’s wife is concerned, it seems to me to treat her as a sex object in public. The only reason some may not find this offensive is that they use the word “hot” so frequently that they have forgotten its original definition. To refer to your wife as “smokin hot” puts the emphasis on your own feelings rather than complimenting your wife. What do you think?

Donna Calvin

posted July 28, 2011 at 12:16 am

Thank you very much for your well-thought out and very well articulated comment, vivianclare. I hope your comment will encourage others to leave their opinions of this pastor’s words. Being a woman I empathize with your view of “smokin’ hot wife”. Jesus never said we had to be “cool” and “edgy”. He said we should be wise as serpents and harmless as doves. I just can’t quite figure out if this prayer fits into that framework. Thanks, vivianclare, you have helped me get a perspective on this. Anyone else? Please leave comments. [Matthew 10:16] Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Texas Man’s Pregnant Wife Never Wanted to Have a Gun in the House – But Now She’s Sure Glad He Insisted
Item #1 of 2 [caption id="attachment_28130" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Guns save more lives protecting the innocent and victims of crime than any mainstream news outlet has ever told you about! Thank God that lawful citizens are protected by the 2nd Amendment Right to Bear Arms and defe

posted 10:42:28pm Sep. 13, 2013 | read full post »

Heartwarming! Service dog helps teen with diabetes
Calvin's Commentary: The following story and video is about a young 18-year old teenager, Sadie Jensen, with a debilitating, life-threatening, incurable, life-long illness and a service dog named Bailey. Bailey has been trained to detect and warn Sadie when her blood sugar drops so low she could die

posted 9:57:47pm Sep. 13, 2013 | read full post »

9-11-TRIBUTE-2013 ~ 2 Million Bikers Rally To Washington DC vs Million Muslim Demonstration where 20-25 Showed up for ill-timed "No Fear" Protest
KNOW HOW THE MUSLIMS CAN GET PEOPLE TO STOP FEARING THEM? THEY DON'T NEED TO DEMONSTRATE! JUST QUIT BLOWING UP CHRISTIANS AND OTHER PEOPLE AND BUILDINGS! QUIT BEHEADING NON MUSLIMS! STOP THEIR TERROR TACTICS! STOP MAKING WARS IN THE MIDDLE EAST! STOP SAYING THEY ARE GOING TO WIPE ISRAEL O

posted 10:36:17pm Sep. 12, 2013 | read full post »

Family dog helps alert parents to abusive baby sitter (video)
Good Dog! Snitched on ill-treatment of his beloved family member and sent babysitter to jail! ↓To view video, click large arrow in center below↓ A loyal and protective dog helped alert parents to an abusive baby sitter in South Carolina. According to WCSC, which originally reported t

posted 8:48:41pm Sep. 12, 2013 | read full post »

Sept.11,2013 - 3 Good News Stories #3: Fisherman Reels in Wallet Stolen 3 Years Ago
GOOD NEWS ARTICLE #3 [caption id="attachment_28048" align="aligncenter" width="608"] Stolen Wallet found by Joshua Woods while fishing.  But there's an even stranger twist to this story. Woods wasn't always the person he is today and wonders if he would have returned the wallet if he were the

posted 12:36:17am Sep. 11, 2013 | read full post »