Virtual Talmud

Virtual Talmud

Top 10 Wishes for 2008

To paraphrase someone else who was called upon to make predictions, “I am not a prophet nor the daughter of a prophet” (Amos 7:14). Therefore I will not be joining those who make predictions, serious or otherwise, about what the New Year will bring. However, I would like to offer my wish list for the top 10 Jewish headlines for 2008. We may not see any of them in the coming year, but to paraphrase Theodor Herzl, if we can imagine it, then perhaps it will not just remain a dream.
Following David Letterman’s lead, my top 10 wishes for 2008 headlines appear in ascending order:
10. Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw Admits She’s Jewish
9. Stephen Schwartz Musical “Eight Nights” Lights Up Broadway
8. Ahmadinejad Looses Reelection to Moderate
7. Jew Tube Attracts Unaffiliated
6. Foundation Funds Turning Synagogues Green
5. Millionth Couple Marries Through JDate
4. Birthright Founders Launch New Program To Train Jewish Youth Leaders
3. Hamas, Silencing Rockets, Says Will Recognize Israel
2. New President Launches Manhattan Project for Energy Independence
1. Arab League Signs Peace Treaty with Israel
What would your top Jewish headlines of 2008 be? Add them below.

Evin Daly

posted January 2, 2008 at 6:52 pm

1. That Arabs, Muslims and the rest of the world recognize and respect Israel and Jews everywhere.
2 – 10. If #1 comes true, someone else can have the other 9 wishes.
Happy New Year 2008.
Shalom!!!

mana

posted January 3, 2008 at 10:49 am

dr Ahmadinejad is the one and the only responsible and aducated president throghout the world…no one is right to insult him

Anonymous

posted January 3, 2008 at 2:41 pm

If he is as responible and educated as you say he is, he should go back to school and both of you should learn how to spell the English language.

Anonymous

posted January 3, 2008 at 3:54 pm

That the righteous will be blessed and vindicated
That the wicked will be punished and liars exposed and dealt with accordingly

Billie Berman

posted January 6, 2008 at 10:44 am

1. Jews Experience Time Warp 2008? We’re Ahead It’s Really 5758!
2. Palastinians Cannot Live Without Jews Any More. They Promise Peace?
3. Carrie Bradshaw Marries Nice Jewish Boy.
4. Obamma and Mamma-A First for Running Mates.
5. Divorced Orthodox Rabbi Meets & Marries Reform Widow from J-Date.
6. Synagogue Uses Endowment Funds, Members Only Pay Dues.
7. Jews Eat Fresh Natural Amish Chickens Reject Frozen Caged Kosher Chickens.
8. Jews Admit Chanukah Celebration Was Derived From Story in the Book of Macabees. Rabbi’s Embelished/Lied? About Lamp Oil in Talmud.
9. Jews Don’t Start Year in January.
10. Country Kosher Cookin – Smoken Hot.

sidney cohn

posted January 10, 2008 at 12:12 pm

That Jews will not only be recognized worldwide for their accomplishments, but will be admired and accepted by all peoples as at least equals and not empathize with the Palestinians who are probably good people, but do not seem to contribute to the world or even their own.

Susan

posted January 13, 2008 at 8:32 am

Rafsanjani is a moderate. He has said that the Holocaust did happen, and it was a good thing because it saved the world from the “Zionists.”
During the moderate Khatami regime the Revolutionary Guard was involve in the bombing of the Jewish Community Center in Buenos Aires. I’m

Billie Berman

posted January 26, 2008 at 7:01 am

This is old stuff, haven’t we wished enough. Wishing, fishing vat does that get you. Herring, yes, I want Herring, pickled and creamed in the New year with lots of Matza and Bagels and Philidelphia cream cheeze and a little smoked Salmon. Please get on with it.
I am happy to order the New Commentary published and written by Jewish women scholars. I hope the Orthodox, Conservative, Reform and Reconstructionist Rabbi’s get a chance to read what the women’s voices have to say about the Torah. A long time coming.