Virtual Talmud

Virtual Talmud

More Wishes for 2008

I appreciate Rabbi Grossman’s wishes for 2008 and would like to add a few of my own (in no particular order):
• President Bush becomes invested enough in Mideast peace to keep pressure on the Israelis and Palestinians to talk to one another.
• Kosher certifiers stop deriding the idea of Hekhsher Tzedek (a socially-conscious certification that food, in addition to being kosher, was ethically produced)
• All Jon Stewart, all the time.
• Anti-Semitism stops being fashionable with left-wing intellectuals throughout Europe.
• Jewish community puts enough pressure on Washington and Beijing to bring genocide to an end in Darfur.
• Kevin Youklis, Shawn Greene, and all other Jewish major leaguers cleared of steroid use.
What are your top wishes for 2008? Add them below.

Carole Delger

posted January 4, 2008 at 12:36 pm

My Uncle Sammy and My Aunt Tootsie,
I love you and
I will lift up mine eyes unto the mountains: from whence
shall my help come?
My help cometh from HaShem,
who made heaven and earth.
He will not suffer thy foot to be moved;
He that keepeth thee will not slumber.
Behold, He that keepeth Israel doth neither slumber nor sleep.
HaShem is thy keeper;
HaShem is thy shade upon thy right hand.
The sun shall not smite thee by day,
nor the moon by night.
HaShem shall keep thee from all evil;
He shall keep thy soul.
HaShem shall guard thy going out and thy coming in,
from this time forth and for ever.
Be well and safe with love always your Carole

Evin Daly

posted January 4, 2008 at 8:40 pm

Gee – thanks for deleting my wish :(

Beliefnet_Tiger

posted January 5, 2008 at 1:00 am

Dear Evin Daly,
No posts were removed from this blog entry. It doesn’t appear that it was captured by the spam filter, either. You might want to resubmit.
Thanks,
Beliefnet_Tiger
Community Monitor
Beliefnet.com

starla

posted January 5, 2008 at 10:18 am

Sorry, I will stick to reading some of your newsletter.

Duchess B. Breinstein

posted January 7, 2008 at 12:23 pm

•If Barack Obama becomes President Of the United States he becomes invested enough in the United States to keep pressure on important American policies such as changes on health issues for our children and seniors.Cut back on some of the programs for the wealthy who are indebting our social security system into trillions and trillions of dollars.

senlin

posted January 7, 2008 at 11:25 pm

I second (or third) R. Waxman’s and R. Grossman’s lists, and also wish for Orthodox Jewish leadership to be less insular/defensive and more committed to addressing issues and problems in its community (esp. agunot, sex abuse and kashrut corruption), for Jews of all affiliations to find more common ground and work together instead of drifting farther apart, and for people of different religions to do the same.
I wish that fundamentalism wouldn’t exist and people who believe in the values of the Enlightenment would do a better job defending them.
I wish for world peace, for real.

LESLIE FURSETZER

posted January 11, 2008 at 4:45 am

I THIRD OR FOURTH THAT AND AGREE WITH “SENLIN” ABOVR… THE U.S. NEEDS TO MIND IT’S OUN BESSNESSS. THE ORTHADOX OUT OF POLITICS [ THEY DO NOT
FIGHT FOR ISREAL] WHY SHOULD THEY RUN IT?

thetruth

posted January 11, 2008 at 1:08 pm

I just wish that religious Jews for a change, admit that Israel is an occupying country and that its policies towards its neighboring Palestinians, is what is causing this whole mess.
Look at the settlements, how much more proof you want to see the expansion strategy of the political Israel?
Look at the nuclear arsenal of Israel, its refusal to let the internationl community to inspect its weapons of mass destruction, and yet criticizes Iran and previously Iraq for having WMD? Isn’t this hypocratical?
Look at all the restrictions to allow Arab workers into Israel, and the humulation that these folks go through.
I can go and on, but you get the point.
I am sure, many people will just attack me and this post and call it all kind of names, if at all keeps it. That’s ok too, you can shut the truth by deleting a comment/post and pretend that everything is great and the enemy is not amongst ourselves.
If you want to have peace, you have to work for it equally.
Peace.

Susan

posted January 15, 2008 at 9:10 pm

What wishing for antisemitism to stop being fashinable among the American left. I’ve always thought that America will probably have a Black president before we have a Jewish president. I am a liberal, but I think that a Jewish presidential candidate will cause more concern among the readera of Mother Jones that the readers of the National Review.
The truth, The reason why Israel is an occupying country in the first place is the Arab world’s refusal to accept Israel’s right to exist within its pre-1967 boundaries.

Joan Fernandez

posted January 18, 2008 at 10:10 am

Peace for Isreal & Realism that the Palenstineian will never be satified until Isreal is all Palensistines. Beware

Billie Berman

posted January 29, 2008 at 12:18 pm

I wish that men would listen to women’s voices and I wish and hope that all of you will read the new Commentary written by Women Scholars.