Virtual Talmud

Virtual Talmud

When Soldiers Pay for the Sins of Those Who Send Them

In memory of our valiant soldiers who gave their lives in this travesty of a war in Iraq, in honor of all those who have come home wounded in body and spirit, and in mourning for the destruction of lives and lifestyle of the Iraqi people (even if they may have been our enemies even before the war), I think Rabbi Waxman has let Pres. Bush and his administration off too easily. The President is certainly guilty of hubris, as Rabbi Waxman points out. But he is also guilty of much more.
There is a little known website put together under the authority of Rep. Henry Waxman, then minority member of Congress’ Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, that lists 237 misleading statements that the Bush Administration made about the threat Iraq posed, which convinced many–myself included–that this war was necessary and justified due to an imminent threat. Click here for the full report.

If that weren’t bad enough, Bob Woodward, in his book “State of Denial,” details how the Bush Administration completely bungled the war they manipulated us into. Then there are all the ethical issues, of torture, abuse, contractor scandals, etc.
Our brave men and women in the armed forces have done what has been asked of them to the best of their abilities, above and beyond the call of duty. Their families, who often suffer financially as well as emotionally, have also done what has been asked of them above and beyond. As a result of their dedication and sacrifice, they don’t even get decent financial support and medical care, thanks to the Bush administration.
It’s one shanda after another. Some might even call them sins. Unfortunately, our soldiers, and many others, have paid a heavy price for this administration’s lies, cronyism, and manipulations.
I don’t know what the right “exit strategy” is. But I do know that, unlike the men and women of our armed forces and their families, this President is unworthy of the trust we have placed in him. That is something we can change in the coming year with the elections.
In the meantime, we can support organizations like Yellow Ribbon Fund, popularized by Stephen Colbert, which supports families whose loved ones are being treated at Walter Reid and the Naval Medical Centers. It is the least we can do for those who have done so much.

Tom

posted November 16, 2007 at 6:04 pm

Roy kennedy

posted November 16, 2007 at 8:15 pm

I doubt this is correct . I trust president Bush

Anonymous

posted November 17, 2007 at 1:21 am

Well,thanks to Bush we are safer at home and the people of Iraq have a chance to live not under fear but with hope.They have a chance to know the one ture God and we have possible gained a friend in that region.In light of the attacks on our soil Bush did the right thing.

Dan

posted November 17, 2007 at 12:57 pm

It is sad that some of the stereotypes of Jews are continued by those in positions of respect and power within their ranks. Any objective reader of this blog entry would probably assume that this proves that Jews are in the pocket of the Democratic party.
This is not true, of course, but quoting a very partisan Democratic leader does not help.

Tom Paine

posted November 17, 2007 at 1:34 pm

Now comes Iran, but I think we Americans will see that the right-winger fear mongers have cried “Wolfowitz” once too often.
T-minus 14 months to go and counting…..

Richard B. Cook

posted November 17, 2007 at 6:05 pm

I was very disappointed to learn that there were Jewish Republicans. I have always equated American political conservatism with brain death. To be a Republican means putting money ahead of coscience. This stance is antithetical to being Jewish.

ds0490

posted November 17, 2007 at 6:15 pm

I most certainly trust President Bush…to make the biggest mess possible whenever he can. He’s doing to this job what he had done to every other job prior. He is making a failure of it.

Dave

posted November 18, 2007 at 10:29 am

An entire column by a rabbi and not a single reference to anything specifically Jewish. If I wanted to read the Daily Kos or Counterpunch I know where they are.
‘Move On’ to Jewish references, rabbis.

Bob

posted November 19, 2007 at 5:54 am

“To be a Republican means putting money ahead of conscience.”
Really? Because I’m a Republican, and yet, I don’t do that. In fact, it was specifically because of my conscience that I switched parties (I used to be a Democrat).
You see, I was having a hard time sleeping at night knowing that as long as I supported the Democrats, I was supporting many policies that went against everything that my conscience told me was moral.
But maybe I’m the only one? I don’t think so.

Sander Bergman

posted November 19, 2007 at 7:16 am

I’m a Libertarian Republican and proud of it.I don’t understand why so many Jews are Democrats. The Democratic party has allowed the Law Bar, AFL-CIO, and the NEA(National Education Association)-teachers union to have veto power over their national platform. The poor have lousy schools, in large part because of the NEA obstructionist policies. The Democrats buy the poor off with a check in the mail. That check is like opium- destroying motivation, creating dependecy.
If you’re a Democrat you’re voting for bigger more powerful government to enter every sphere of your life. I want less government.
Keep in mind—-Hitler and Stalin were the state.

Al Eastman

posted November 19, 2007 at 3:23 pm

I agree with Dave’s 11-18 comment. Perhaps this entire thread belongs on a Political Site.

Aryeh Sax

posted November 21, 2007 at 10:24 pm

I cannot believe this is coming from the mouth of Rabbi. Everyone thought the W.M.D.’s were there. the U.S., England, Israel, just about all the Arab countries, and even Iraq’s Generals and Ministers thought they existed. Saddam made them each think there was a secret program, and did his best to make the world think so also. Many of the top Generals all claimed he had them after Iraq fell. But it turned out no one knew for sure just where they were at. Saddam denied inspectors sites to inspect for weeks at a time. Only after trucks entered and left the sites did he allow inspectors in. I am not a expert in military strategy so I cannot comment on how this war is conducted. Although it appears the surge is working. I do feel that in a Police state like Iraq was, where random and mass murder was the norm, someone has to step in. To do nothing is a act of complicity. Kind of like the millions who stood by and watched, as the Holocaust happen to our people. The thought of gassing people in Iraq or Europe send chills down my back. Mass graves and torture chambers litter the country. In my opinion we should have finished it the first time. Thank the creator that more Jews are seeing that we cannot stand by and not get involved. If we have learned nothing from previous administration, and from Holocaust is that turning the other cheek does not work. The more you turn it the more you get slapped.

Edward

posted December 4, 2007 at 1:05 pm

Two things, Aryeh:
Since everyone thought Saddam had WMD’s, where are they?
And, since you hate the mass graves and toture chambers so much, do you have a list for our military where they will be going next?
Sudan
China
Cuba
Congo
Uzbekistan?
Some of these are actually our “allies”.

Aryeh Sax

posted December 4, 2007 at 5:07 pm

More then two things, Edward:
Where are they? The answer is gone, from I have been able to tell is most was lost in the first Iraq war. Except for some chemical (gas agent) bombs. These were destroyed by order and direction of the UN inspectors who had found some large stockpiles. But Saddam wanted the surrounding countries, that he threatened to think he still had them. Keeping his place as a military might. Countries like Saudi-Arabia, Yemen, Oman, the U.E.A., Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait, and his old enemy Iran. This was not hard to do. Kind of like the the robber who always had a gun in his pocket, people saw it, he had even used it, but even though he no longer had it everyone thought it was still there, because he wanted them to think so. He still got his way.
Oh yes I hate mass graves, and torture chambers, don’t you? If you don’t we have reached a impasse.
As far as where we go next I do not know, it is true we get very little support from our allies even the ones who supported our action, until it looked like we might need their help. I pray we could help those poor people be freed of the oppression they live and die with every day.
I wish we could get the world support, full support with money and troops, that we could go to these other countries that you listed, and remove this scourge from the face of the earth. Now some states that use mass murder and torture have reached the point where no one can never challenge them because the world did nothing, and they became atomic powers with the ability to destroy and county that goes against them. But in these smaller powers we have a different problem, they have not invaded our allies, and been pushed out, and put under a UN mandate, they agreed to but did not uphold.
I agree on the fact that we have some scum “allies” I do not agree we should. Any country that uses mass murder (any kind of murder large or small), torture, and oppression, should not be one of our allies. It is simple two wrongs do not make a right. The upsetting thing is to see Americans protesting that we should do something about the Sudan, Cuba (mostly Cuban Americans) and even countries that are our questionable allies who use torture and murder to keep power. But not to do anything in Iraq.
Many mistakes were made in Iraq, it is easy to point this out after they are found out to be mistakes. Just the same, things seem to be going better their now., We should have started with and finished with the surge, in the beginning. Being a Monday night quarterback, on this.
Then there is the other side we can become Fortress America, and to hell with the rest of the world. I just do not think we would last long like that.