Virtual Talmud

Virtual Talmud

No New Year Celebration for SUVs

posted by mkress

For starters this Tu B’Shevat, we should all take notice of how many of our elected officials run around busy city streets in massive SUVs built for the Rocky Mountins. The only reason I can think of as to why all of sudden in the last 10 years politicians need SU’s is so that they have enough room to fit in their car to fit their ever growing egos.

OK, enough silly rhetoric, here is a simple plan of action. This Tu B’Shevat, ask your elected officials to make a choice: Either (1) stop using SUVs or (b) set a higher standard for miles per gallon of gas that the automobile companies are required to fulfill when they build the SUVs.

Right now SUV’s are not legally considered cars but rather some other “machine” that allows the automobile industry to duck the 27.5% mpg rule that governs all automobiles put on the road. Aside from taking up too much parking room and space in crowded cities, SUVs are gas guzzling giants that only increase our reliance of Middle Eastern oil resources. Perhaps the greatest irony with SUVs is that only 5% of their owners ever need them for the kind of off-road mountain riding shenanigans that they are built for.

Go tell your elected official to stop using SUVs.

– Posted by Rabbi Eliyahu Stern

Dave

posted January 31, 2007 at 7:46 pm

Fight global warming yourself-I live in Canada. Besides we’re supposed to be a desert people anyways, right? PS I’d feel a lot better towards the global warming people myself if so many of their leaders didn’t fly in private planes (but they still drive Priuses!)

Dov

posted February 1, 2007 at 4:09 pm

The SUV in the Pantry http://www.organicconsumers.org/btc/gasfood112105.cfm Vegetarian is the New Prius http://www.commondreams.org/views07/0120-20.htm Fight Global Warming by Going Vegetarian http://goveg.com/environment-globalwarming.asp Vegan diets healthier for planet, people than meat diets http://www-news.uchicago.edu/releases/06/060413.diet.shtml Five Food Choices for a Healthy Planet http://www.veg.ca/issues/enviro-5reasons.html Eco-Eating: Eating as if the Earth Matters http://www.brook.com/veg The Vegetarian Mitzvah http://www.brook.com/jveg

Grethel Jane Rickman

posted February 4, 2007 at 12:08 am

I live in Western North Carolina. I understand that there are necessary uses for SUVs and large pick-up trucks. There are still farms–some family owned farms–in this area. Trucks have actually become part of the culture. However, there are folks who clearly have no use for these type of vehicles that own them. I do understand some folks believe that SUVs with four wheel drive go better in snow and ice. That’s not correct. Any vehicle can skid out and crash in this kind of driving condition. Driving slow and careful is the best solution–not “bigger the better.” I would like to see SUVs and pick-up trucks to be under better government standards so that they still can be produced. However, they would be produced to operate without burning as much gasoline or with as little gasoline as possible {hybrid}. I also would like to see people who have no single good use for SUVs and/or pick-up trucks to stop buying them. There’s plenty of good cars out there that would suit their purposes just fine. Oh! I also would like to see more work done to V6 and V8 automobile engines to make them not burn as much gasoline, too. Older cars? There’s not much that can be done about them other than make sure that the cars are up to good running condition. “If it burns oil, fix the engine or make good use of the good car parts.” That’s my motto. And for heavens sake, if the exhaust system is bad, please fix it!!! {I own an older car too–1994 Buick Century–, so I hope no one thinks I have a bias! You just have to keep things running properly. That’s all. I own a 2007 Ford Focus, too. Well, that also is well maintained!} Proper auto maintenance will also help save the environment. Just some suggestions!

Kauko

posted February 4, 2007 at 7:15 pm

I also agree that some people, like farmers, ranchers, constuction workers, have legitimate need of trucks and the like. I live in Charlotte, NC and this is definitely SUV and truck country, it is very much a cultural thing here, just an unfortunate one.

Iris Alantiel

posted February 5, 2007 at 2:52 pm

SUVs depress me. I look around and see all the SUVs travelling up and down the road and I think, God, what does it even matter if I try to save the environment, with all those giant gas-guzzlers whipping back and forth? But then, that’s the kind of thinking that encourages everyone to get their very own SUV.

Iris Alantiel

posted February 5, 2007 at 2:53 pm

Incidentally, Dave, I live in Canada, too. What part are you from? I’m in southwestern Ontario, where we have no right to complain about our lack of SUVs . . . but you’re right, there are parts of this country where cars like that make the most sense. They’re just not heavily-inhabited city centres, which is where you see the most SUVs anyway.

Dave

posted February 5, 2007 at 4:36 pm

I’m in the GTA (Toronto) where its minus 17 Celsius. If more SUV’s make it minus 12 at the most, that sounds good to me.

Rebecca

posted February 7, 2007 at 4:59 pm

My husband and I have an SUV, we live in the Chicago area. I’m sick and tired ot everyone complaining to me about our SUV. I’ve been stopped in parking lots by people who want to yell, complain, and try to convince me that I’m destroying the planet. So, I point out that my SUV is a hybrid, and gets better gas mileage than their standard vehicle.

Grethel Jane Rickman

posted February 8, 2007 at 10:12 pm

Rebecca, ask them if they recycle. Maybe?

Kauko

posted February 8, 2007 at 10:29 pm

“So, I point out that my SUV is a hybrid, and gets better gas mileage than their standard vehicle.” Actually, your average non-hybrid car still gets better gas mileage than a hybrid SUV. Hybrid SUV only get a few extra MPG than their non-hybrid counterprts.