Virtual Talmud

Virtual Talmud

Without America…

If there is one thing this war has taught Israelis, it’s that without America they are nothing.

Could things change? Could America grow weary of Israel? Perhaps. But as of now America is Israel’s chief supporter. America has single-handedly protected (some say protected too much) Israel from the ire of the world, allowing Israel to continue to wage war against Hezbollah.

That said, we were wrong a few months ago to laugh at those such as Israeli author A.B. Yehoshua who mocked American Jewish identity, giving it a secondary status next to Israel. Instead of laughing. we should have been crying and denouncing him.

I wonder what A.B. is saying now. WhileI am Zionist and believe in the importance of making Aliya (immigration to Israel) the influence and impact that American Jewry wields with respect to Israel should never be downplayed or dismissed.

Joey

posted August 10, 2006 at 9:42 pm

Yes, exactly. I can’t say I agree perfectly with the way Israel is waging its current war, but when I read people who denounce America for not being as “smart” as the rest of the world, I think, well, what are we supposed to do? America was silent during the first Holocaust; if we stop supporting Israel, Americans in a century will be mourning how we helped cause the second. God bless!

Rick Abrams

posted August 11, 2006 at 9:00 pm

Dear Rabbi, You and I must live in parallel universes. In my universe the entire Democrat Jewish establishment has abandoned Israel and helped defeat Joe Lieberman. The Left’s anti-Bushism is quite anti-Semitic; yet the Jewish Democrats let the Moral Equivalency Doctrine be spread by the likes of Dingle. But of all the horrendous betrayals in the history of mankind, Olmert betrays Bush, the moderate Arab states, and Israel by his incompetence culminating in his surrender to France, the UN and Nasarallah. How could Bush support Israel when Olmert refused to defend Israel? Olmert gave the historically anti-Semitic State Department the opening it needed. As Hillel said, “If I am not for myself, who will be for me?” How can America support Israel when Jewish Democrats won’t support her and Olmert has refused to defend her? “Never Again” was the slogan after the last Holocuast. What’s the slogan going to be after the next Holocaust which Olmert and the American Jewish Left have brought upon us?

janet muir

posted August 11, 2006 at 9:05 pm

I ask for God’s wisdom and not a closed mind. In all that I read (in books) tv and newspapers truly do not give you an unbiased opinion. My feeling that Israel is not seeking the face of God only land and possessions and they have ceased to be victims. They are now in their own hatred creating more hatred, teaching this to their children and assuring that all Arabs are educated in this misery as well. In my heart I ask what happened to the teaching, do unto others as you would have them do unto you? Where is any show of Holines in what you do?

Ashira Himelson

posted August 11, 2006 at 9:30 pm

In the talmud itself it says “trust not the mighty”.America has been a great friend and supporter(yes perhaps enabler)to Israel in it’s perpetual fight against terrorism and for survival.But I believe it is in the strength of the torah and the people of Israel that the fate of all jews is dependant.Not America’s power and wealth. As an American, I have a great love for my country,and it’s love for freedom and human rights, but America will always come first for America.

Michael Salvatore Gentile

posted August 12, 2006 at 9:16 pm

WAR IS FOR THE FEWNOT THE MASSES

Michael Salvatore Gentile

posted August 12, 2006 at 9:19 pm

FOR I AM SALVATORE.

Laurie

posted August 13, 2006 at 1:47 am

War is not wisdom, it is cruelty, suffering, death, destruction, murder.

Richard B. Cook

posted August 13, 2006 at 8:46 pm

I am a Jew and for the most part proud of that. I grieve for the innocent Lebanise killed and injoured in the current fighting. There is no glory in the slaughter of innocents. In the horror of war let us not loose sight of responcibility. The people of Lebanon lent credibility to Hezbolah by allowing them to be elected into the government. Hezbolah has been elevated from A fanatic fringe group deadicated to the destruction of all non muslems to a legititmate player. I don’t know how to distinguish innocent Lebonneese from Heezbolah murderous fanatics. As long as thelebaneese give safe harbor to Hezbolah fanatics there will be no peace in Lebanon.

Joy DeVercelly

posted August 13, 2006 at 9:05 pm

I stand with Israel. If I was young enough to fight I would join her if I was allowed. Hezbolah has no regard for human life. Israel has every right to defend itsself. Hezbolah is killing civilians. They are killing Israel citizens and not and not even saying they are sorry.Everyone I talk to stands with Israel. It will be a long time and something really bad to turn the people of the United States against Israel. Where are you do gooders when people in Israel are dying at the hands of the Hezbolah? A few liberals in political power do not represent the people of my country. We the people of the U.S. think for ourselves and to date I have not heard any critizism among our people. I realize it is there but they do not represent the majority. Joy

Joy DeVercelly

posted August 13, 2006 at 9:05 pm

Judy Simpson

posted August 13, 2006 at 10:07 pm

I would shiver at the thought of the happenings of Hezbolah. The hand of the Lord will come down on them,Israel is the apple of my eye saith the Lord. I will protect them always.I hope we always stay on their side and never stop supporting them.

DR SAFI UR REHMAN

posted August 14, 2006 at 3:04 am

I would remind Israel,not to be too short sighted, learn lessons from the past and do not inlfict the smae miseries on others. Yes, today America ( USA ) is strong and ALMIGHTY and Israel can count on America. But its a matter time . It would not be long when USA will no longer be a super power. I believe Hezbullah, Hamas, Alqaeda and others are the products of aggression and they cannot be defeated by force. They will carry on killing themselves and killing others, both innocent and not innocent people. The innocent casualties are considered collateral damage. Just as Isareli bombing of Beirut, even on the eve of Ceasefire, killing civillians is justified as collateral damage. What a savge mankind.

DR SAFI UR REHMAN

posted August 14, 2006 at 3:04 am

Master Peace

posted August 14, 2006 at 3:23 pm

THE RITUAL OF SAKU RADO IS A BLESSING TO ALL THE PEOPLES OF EARTH

louis dedon

posted August 15, 2006 at 3:26 am

didn’t God command the children of israel to take the promised land, destroying the inhabitants? and have they ever done this? and what would happen if they finally did? every time israel asserts itself it wins. it is only the peace that follows the wars that give the liberals freedom to decry war. if israel were to lay down its’ arms it would quickly be destroyed. then there would be no war or conflict between arab and jew in israel, because there would be no jews and no israel.

Rodney Veitschegger

posted August 16, 2006 at 6:30 pm

I’m Christian, not Jewish. The U.S. will desert any claim to righteousness if it does not support the nation of Israel. It matters not if it the whole world against us, we must stand against the holy wars of the Muslims.

Ester

posted August 16, 2006 at 6:57 pm

Dear Rabbi, I have a (some) question(s), and I am asking because I sincerely seek information. Is Israel a land or is it a people? What happened to the tribe of Dan, and what are the names of the twelve tribes? Do the tribes of Manessa and Ephram make up one tribe? When Jacobs name was changed to Israel,was God talking about a land or a people? In the books of Isaiah and Jerimiah it talks about Egypt and Assyria building a hiway to Israel. Is Assyria modern day Iraq? If you can answer these questions for me, I will be very grateful. I want to make correct decisions, not decisoins based on misinformation. Thank you,

Dale

posted August 16, 2006 at 8:03 pm

I’m a Christian also, not Jewish. But my heart is for the Jewish people. My love for her causes me to pray for her peace. I had the pleasure of living and working with her people for 3 beautiful months. A time that I treasure more than anything else in this life next to my children. I experienced first hand the heart of her people. And I can truly say that they are beautiful loving and caring people. They do not want war, they don’t want to kill innocent lives. But to preserve her existance she must do whatever it takes to survive. The innocent civilians of Lebanon were killed because of Hezbollah using them as human shields. They were warned to leave the area. Their staying was their choice but I honestly believe that Hezbollah lied and deceived them to remain there. I stand for Israel in what she does and I will always stand with her. As a Christian, I know as well as all the other Christians in America, that we are to bless her and pray for her. It is what the Lord wants us to do and we will continue to do so. I don’t believe that the American Christians will ever stop helping Israel. I know this, because of the places that I’ve been that they all talk of praying and helping Israel and asking others who aren’t Christians to help as well. So to sum it up, America knows that the day she quits helping and praying for Israel is the day of her own downfall will begin. “PRAY FOR THE PEACE OF JERUSALEM”

TJ

posted August 16, 2006 at 8:17 pm

I am a Messianic Jew and I live in America. My personal belief is it is nice to have allies you can trust stand by you but Israel doesnt NEED anyone to have to stand by them. I believe God placed Israel where it is and He will take care of His chosen people and I COMPLETELY support Israel in defending what God Himself gave them and to us who love our land but do not live in it. I believe Israel is strong and will remain that way. Shalom in Yeshua,TJ

Marian

posted August 16, 2006 at 9:37 pm

I believe Israel desperately needs allies other than the US. The US has always been an unreliable ally. At the moment, President Bush has squandered his credibility in the international forum, as well as a huge amount of military resources, in a feckless and futile war in Iraq, so he has virtually nothing to offer Israel. There was a time when Israel could have allied itself with the nascent European community. It’s too late for that now; Europe is falling back into its old anti-semitic ways. There was also a time when Israel could have allied itself with Lebanon, to form a force for multi-culturalism in the Middle East. That is obviously not about to happen any time soon, now that Israel has bombed Lebanon back to the Middle Ages. But the search for real allies for Israel has to continue. Probably the place to look is among nations that are working to free themselves from addiction to oil, like, say, Singapore. That is the most important project Israel can undertake right now.

Rabbi Eliyahu Stern

posted August 16, 2006 at 11:17 pm

Dale, I really enjoyed your comments. While I have a slightly more critical eye your love for the Jewish people is appreciated. Ester these are important informative qustions here are a few answers: I dont know what happened to Dan. Menashhe and Ephraim are two tribes (Joseph got two shares). Jacob’s name changed to Israel representing both the land and the poeple…

LYNN JOBE

posted August 17, 2006 at 2:59 am

DEAR RABBI STERN: AS AN AMERICAN CHRISTIAN, I AND MOST EVERYONE I KNOW FEEL A GREAT RESPONSIBILITY TO OUR JEWS. WE WOULD NEVER GROW WEARY OF THEM, AND AS A MATTER OF FACT WOULD BE WILLING TO GO AND FIGHT BY THEIR SIDES (JUST ASK). WE KNOW YOU ARE THE CHOSEN PEOPLE AND RESPECT & INTEND TO PROTECT THAT TO THE BEST OF OUR ABILILITY. WE HATE TO SEE WHAT THE ENEMY DOES TO OUR PEOPLE IN ISRAEL. SHAME ON THEM. WE PRAY FOR YOU & YOUR PEOPLE. LETS JUST HOPE IT DOESN’T GET ANY WORSE. GOOD LUCK.

SilverThorn

posted August 22, 2006 at 6:59 pm

America should no longer support Israel, they discriminate against citizens of their own country, ie the Arabs, like the South African government did to all non-whites up till the 1990s. (I am 19, I only of this thru the history books, ok?) Israel is more of a curse than a blessing to the world…and don’t misunderstand, I am not anti-Semetic, I love Arabs and Jews, I am anti-ZIONIST, I nor see nor support the reason for the existence of Israel…

Felecia

posted August 27, 2006 at 3:58 am

SilverThorn, Yes you are an anti-semite.

shelly

posted September 1, 2006 at 5:16 pm

Silverthorn, You obviously have not read enough history. I recommend World Bk Encyclopedia, as it is reasonably unbiased. Maybe then you can form opinions that are fact based. I would say read Exodus by Leon Uris, but you’ll probably think that it is biased. It is a great read and very much on target.

anon

posted September 2, 2006 at 8:00 pm

Silverthorn, I agree with Shelly. You have to do some more research about World history. And Ancient History. More than not, Those with evil agendas are re-writing history to support anti-sematism, anti-christian, anti-just about anything that deals with The Oldest and Only history book that has stood the test of time. Do some archaelogical research and you will find that even science (some hellbent to prove there is no God and that the Old Testament and the New are fiction) is finding evidence every day to support the Bible as true historical history. To say that you do not see neither support the reason for the existence of Israel? That is anti-semite. It is better to stand for something positive than to grovel in anti-sematism, anti-Zionism. Why would you do that to yourself not to mention your fellow human neighbors. That is exactly the result that those spreading lies on a grandeous level want. Don’t be a puppet, don’t be decieved. Israel is going to be the last one standing because God declared it. And even you can’t change that no matter what you believe. Be careful. Do some research without any agenda and you will find the truth. May God shine some light on you. You are settling for lies. Do the work, find the truth

Camilo

posted September 3, 2006 at 9:27 am

Without Israel, The elite who control every Arab country would stand the most to lose. Why? Because they are robbing their people blind. By keeping all focus of their people on Israel- they keep an extremely unfair portion of the wealth and leave little for the people. THERE WOULD BE CONSTANT REVOLUTIONS— OR— the Arab Elite would have to discontuinue their arrogant and greedy ways- which would be hard to change. If I was Arab, I would be more concerned with the poverty in my country that is rich in resources. Why are we so poor- and the kings and dictator are so rich? I would not be dumb enough to blame all problems (both personal and universal) on a country that exists and was created just like any other country – through war, politicking, and force. Eventough I am not Jewish, I root for Israel because they are the true underdog. (Eventhough the media takes the easy way out and makes it look like the mighty Israel against the poor and weak Arab organizations). Because of the Arab Elites’ control and miguidance of their people- I would have to agree with you that Israel needs the help of American Jews- and just plain old Americans like myself and no one should ever downplay it- especially when other countries throughout the world would use Jews or Israel as scapegoats when things go bad just like the Arab world.