Via Media

Via Media

I thought I was done taking snow photos

posted by awelborn

March 1
…apparently not. March 1 in Birmingham…
Yes, it snowed here last night and well into this morning. Was it predicted? I have no idea- I’d spent Thursday and Friday watching rain storms coming and arriving, and then slacked off the weather -watching which was Michael’s department anyway. (Once, early in our marriage, my father asked what he might get Michael for Christmas. “Well, I said thoughtfully, “He likes the weather.” And he did!) .
It’s very pretty and already melting – I was surprised that it stuck to the ground at all, but a good bit of did -although that around our apartment has been quickly scooped up into snowballs and snowpeople by lots of delighted children – and just as many adults. No electric outlet or monitor required. Just a surprise from the heavens.
Driving to church was interesting, not because of the snow, but because it was also very foggy. 10 AM Mass was maybe half full – and it is usually overflowing. Come on, people!
(Yes, yes, they’re not prepared for snow down here. But seriously – it wasn’t sticking to to roads – although it probably was in the hilly areas, of which there are many in this city.)

Cathy D.

posted March 1, 2009 at 10:50 am

Watched The Weather Channel this morning and saw Birmingham was getting snow. Wondered if it made you think of Indiana :)

Lynn

posted March 1, 2009 at 1:55 pm

And we were complaining in Gainesville because it’s 50!

Nancy (n.o.e.)

posted March 1, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Here in Atlanta we’re in the midst of the same storm. This morning the prediction was for 3-5 inches, but they’ve backed off of that somewhat. I think this is the first snow of the winter – in March!

Shannon

posted March 1, 2009 at 2:55 pm

We’re snowy, too! Though we are in for awhile to get warm, and dry our snow clothes in the dryer. It’s the first snow here in SEVEN years! Unbelievably it started sticking almost immediately…my MIL, oldest son, and middle daughter are still stuck out on the road–which also are very snowy and slushy and apparently filled with stuck cars. No idea what the roads will be like when my husband get off of work at 10:00….(he’s incidentally working a book signing for the author of the new Flannery O’Connor biography)

jane

posted March 1, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Snowing in RI. Mass standing room only. Joyful mass. Offered prayers for you, Amy, and your family. Mission priests gave a homily on the progressive spiritual transformation that can take place during Lent if we say yes to the invitation. Postcards addressed to our Representatives were signed and collected at second collection protesting FOCA. (Freedom of Choice Act) I am ready for Spring.

PMcGrath

posted March 1, 2009 at 4:16 pm

In New York, we’re supposed to get dumped on — maybe a foot of snow or more, late Sunday into Monday — from the same storm system that just gave Birmingham the powdered-sugar treatment.

Mary Jane

posted March 1, 2009 at 4:18 pm

This is one neck of a winter. Over here in St. Augustine, we have no cause for complaint compared to everyone else. And I gather there’s more to come up North.

Renee

posted March 1, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Up here in North Alabama, I was scoffing at the protestant churches that were cancelling services because of a dusting of snow. Then I read on the news trailer that my own Catholic parish had cancelled religious ed classes. Bah!
One reason for all of this over caution, though, is that we so rarely get snow that most people don’t know how to drive in it.

Martha Fiegen

posted March 1, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Dear Amy,
I have been following your blog for some time now, after discovering your wonderful Book of Saints for Children, and then discovering your blog. You have been an inspiration to me. I was so saddened by your loss of Michael. I too have a husband who is 50 and two small children. I cannot imagine going through what you are gonig through, and with such faith, hope, love and grace. Thank you so much for sharing your insights, feelings and thoughts through your blog. In reading your faith experience, I have benefited greatly in my own faith and “thoughts” of death. I strive too to no be scared of death and to not fastinate on missing out on my children’s lives. They aren’t mine afterall, they are His! I think often of you and Michael and your children throughout the day when I experience a “family” moment, and I “offer it up” for you and Michael. I hope that’s okay with you.
In reading what people have said about Michael from other blogs, and your stories of him, I have even found myself asking him to intercede for me to strengthen my faith.
Again, thank you for your candidness, and love of our Lord.
God Bless you,
Martha in Sioux Falls, SD
Martha – thank you so, so much for these kind, loving words. God bless you.

John P, CSC

posted March 1, 2009 at 10:46 pm

When I lived in Birmingham for a year we had less than an inch of snow one overnight. My northern co-workers and I went into work at the Federal Courthouse, and when our judge came in at 1:00, having stayed home because of the snow, he said we yankees were idiots (in a loving way). Just because you know how to drive in snow doesn’t mean anyone else on the road with you does, so you’re at just as much risk as they are, he said. It didn’t snow again, so we didn’t get the chance to follow his advice and stay home.

Mark in Spokane

posted March 1, 2009 at 11:18 pm

Warmer and rainy here in Spokane today, but the weather has been a little off and on lately. Last week there was snow, but before that very warm temperatures. I think we’re done with the snow here for the winter — but then again last June it snowed here! Who knows?

bill bannon

posted March 2, 2009 at 7:53 am

Amy….your photo like your favorite Japanese notebooks….is very Asian…nature as primary…people (building in this case) subordinate….this ranking occurs in the art of the west much less…. until the west was very familiar with Asian art.

Gina

posted March 2, 2009 at 10:29 am

Birmingham is my hometown, and trust me — you don’t want to see a bunch of Alabamians try to drive when it’s snowing!
(Not that we here in Georgia are any better.)

Memphis Aggie

posted March 2, 2009 at 2:13 pm

We had six inches here. My wife went to the early morning mass and Monsignor told them “they were fools for Christ” for braving the roads, but we live just a few blocks away. I went to the Saturday evening mass which was also a 4th exemplification for the K of C and they were they in full regalia. It was snowing throughout mass those big fluffy flakes that are so beautiful. Knights with capes and swords and snow in Memphis, what a treat. This was the best snow my six year old had ever seen so he had a blast.

Christine

posted March 2, 2009 at 3:09 pm

I live in Minnesota. We have snow from oct. till sometimes april. You have to love it or move. I choose to love it.
Love the pic!

Mimi

posted March 2, 2009 at 5:22 pm

I’m not a huge fan of driving in the snow, but it is gorgeous! Beautiful photos!

Amy P.

posted March 2, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Here in Milwaukee, we woke up this morning to a good 5″ outside our apartment, and between 15-18″…yes, 15-18 INCHES…between here and the lake (about 7 miles east of us).
To the west, even about 40 blocks, nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Sunshine and cold, but no snow.
Freaky. Winter weather really gets me down, especially now that we’re coming to the end and it seems like it’s gone on for so long. I’m trying to offer up the seasonal affective disorder I have and hold out hope for warmer weather.

Thomas M.

posted March 2, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Southerners in a snow storm. There are very few things that are funnier to me than imagining that.