Via Media

Via Media

What I (will do) on my summer vacation

posted by awelborn

By Bishop Vasa of Baker, Oregon:

He’s going to sub for priests with a widely-spread out parish responsibilities, giving them a break:

Since the rectory there is largely uninhabited, I can move in without inconveniencing anyone. My presence there for three weekends allows the two priests at Nyssa to be given a bit of a break from the more than 90-mile weekly one-way trip and does allow them to alternate their own vacations without canceling Masses or seeking another substitute. Thus, while taking my own vacation, I can at the same time be of service to these priests.

Since the people in this remote corner of the diocese do not have the benefit of a full-time priest, it is my hope that my presence there, however brief, does let them know that I have not forgotten them and that I am concerned about the well being of the parishes. If the truth be known, the strongest draw is the fact that there is a body of parishioners there whom I genuinely like and enjoy. Even though I do not socialize a whole lot while I am there on vacation, I do like the folks there, and I do want to be of service to them. My life, at least in intention, is given over in service to the people of God. I do try very hard not to reserve anything for myself, and I am happiest and most “fulfilled” when I am living the life of a priest, a life most aptly described as “the life of a man-for-others.”

Ed the Roman

posted July 25, 2006 at 12:02 am

Very cool.

AmericanPapist

posted July 25, 2006 at 1:34 am

Go Vasa!

Maureen

posted July 25, 2006 at 4:29 am

And if a bishop’s working in a parish in a remote area, that probably counts as a vacation. Especially if he doesn’t keep his cellphone on his person…. :)

Jane M

posted July 25, 2006 at 8:20 am

Well, it will certainly be a change from a chancery! What Ed said.

midwestmom

posted July 25, 2006 at 8:25 am

Humility is a virtue and Vasa has perfected it!

Ray from MN

posted July 25, 2006 at 9:28 am

Bishop Vasa is one of Bishop Fabian Bruskewitz’s “boys” and has been declared to be a “Bishop with Spine” also.

Larry

posted July 25, 2006 at 10:09 am

Bishop Vasa is an awesome bishop. I remember a little while back when he required all laity serving in the diocese to take an oath of faith.
He is surely on of Bishop Bruskewitz’s “boys”, however, unfortunately neither one of them will ever be appointed to a larger diocese due to the liberal control of the appointment process.

Larry

posted July 25, 2006 at 10:12 am

Patricia Gonzalez

posted July 25, 2006 at 10:43 am

I wish our Bishop would do something like that! We hardly ever see the man (to be fair our diocese covers a lot of territory), so it would be a good chance to get to know him. And God knows our Pastor can do with a break! Excellent idea, Bishop!

whimsy

posted July 25, 2006 at 10:57 am

In case you are wondering why a tiny parish in eastern Oregon has two priests, they are missionaries from Africa. The parish is St. Bridget’s.

george

posted July 25, 2006 at 10:26 pm

Years ago Bishop Vasa had a weekly commentary on his website. One week he mantioned that on one of his long trips to visit a parish, his car broke own. He said he forgot to bring his tools and parts and therefore had to wait until someone stopped and gave him a lift. Is there another bishop in the whole world that would carry tools and parts to fix his own car?

Sparki

posted July 25, 2006 at 10:59 pm

I inteviewed Bishop Vasa for our diocese’s newspaper a few months ago, when he was due to arrive to be the keynote speaker for our Light of the World conference. He is a man of great passion for the Sacraments, and he delivers them with infectious joy. The people of eastern Oregon are blessed to have him. I hope he can encourage more young men to the priesthood up there.