Via Media

Via Media

Mass for Peace

posted by awelborn

This past Sunday, the Archdiocese of Washington had a Mass for Peace in the Middle East – here is the text of Archbishop Wuerl’s homily.

Let us renew our resolve — every member of this community — to do our part no matter how small it may seem or how insignificant it might appear to build a civilization of love so that we are never overwhelmed by a culture of violence, a culture of death. Can this be done?

Yes, we can win in the struggle to let God’s kingdom of truth, justice, understanding, compassion, kindness and love win out here and around the world. It begins with each one of us.

That is why the Pope asks us to come together in prayer. Our prayers can result in God’s grace, touching hearts. If we touch enough hearts, we can influence enough actions. If enough actions change, we can change the world in which we live.

Is what we are doing today truly significant? Is our prayer today going to make a difference? Can we be a part spiritually of the vast effort to lift up the need for dialogue? The need for reconciliation? The need for peaceful solutions to intractable problems?

Of course we can. That is why we are here to stand before God who will always stand with us and respond to our prayers.

Big Tom

posted July 25, 2006 at 10:16 am

I was at that mass in the Basilican of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception and I have to say it was a moving homily, possibly on the long side, where Bishops are free to wander, and full of positive exhortations to prayer and penance as the means by which ordinary faithful around the world can atone for sin and affect change in our world today.
Good stuff from the new Archbishop.

BillyHW

posted July 25, 2006 at 10:37 am

“Can we be a part spiritually of the vast effort to lift up the need for dialogue??
Same old same old. These people are utterly clueless.

T. Shaw

posted July 25, 2006 at 11:13 am

I pray each day that The Lord bless and protect our troops; that He keep them virtuous; and that He bring them home to us VICTORIOUS.
Psalm 139
19 Surely, Thou wilt slay the wicked, O God.
Depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.
20 For they speak against Thee wickedly,
and Thine enemies take Thy name in vain.
21 Do I not hate them, O LORD, that hate Thee?
And am I not grieved with those that rise up against Thee?
22 I hate them with perfect hatred;
I count them mine enemies.
Inscription in mosque on Temple Mount:
“Oh you people of the Book, overstep not the bounds of your religion, and of God speak Only the truth. The Messiah, Jesus, Son of Mary, is only an Apostle of God, and His Word which he conveyed into Mary, and a Spirit proceeding from Him. Believe therefore in God and his apostles, and say not three. God is only one God. Far be it from His glory that He should have a Son.”
Here’s a prayer the bishop might recite for the gallant Israelis as they battle incarnate evil:
O God, Lord of Hosts. Destroy the evil sons of satan, the savage heathens.
O Lord God, King of the Universe. Shake the ground under the bestial sons of monkeys and pigs, instill panic into their brutal hearts and disperse them.
O God Almighty. Destroy the filthy pagans, for they are within Thy power.
AMEN!

Mary Kay

posted July 25, 2006 at 12:26 pm

Big Tom, thanks for the first hand account.
T. Shaw, you’ve missed the message of the Gospel and the bulk of that psalm.

Marty

posted July 25, 2006 at 1:46 pm

“savage heathens, monkeys & pigs”? Osama, is that you???? What are you doing on a Catholic blog?
Or have we met the enemy and he is us? Women, kids, Maronite and Melkite Christians, cell phone towers, hospitals, a lighthouse, an airport, a column of fleeing refugees, are these the evil sons of Satan?
Our Lady of Lebanon, Elias of Mt. Carmel, St. Sharbel Makhluf, pray for Lebanon & Israel. Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Chris Sullivan

posted July 25, 2006 at 3:26 pm

Thank you Archbishop Wuerl for those encouraging words which remind us that we can all do something effective for peace.
Our biggest enemy is often the deception that we are powerless to do anything.
Let’s redouble our prayers for peace and the call of the Holy Father for an immediate ceasefire, aid to refugees, and a just solution.
God Bless

PNP, OP

posted July 26, 2006 at 9:21 am

I just returned from a month-long stay in Europe. I was frustrated beyond reason by the BBC coverage of the current mess in Israel and Lebanon. Without fail the BBC reporters couched the Israeli military response to the terrorists’ attacks as an “invasion” or an “incursion.” The terrorists’ attacks were routinely reported w/o any reference to the nature of the attacks, meaning they said very neutral things like “Hezbollah launched rockets into northern Israel.” However, “Israel occupied southern Lebanon, killing hundreds.” They also routinely interviewed anti-Israeli Talking Heads and almost never directly challenged their historical assumptions about the origins of this mess.
As usual, the media aren’t helping the situation!
Fr. Philip

pw

posted July 26, 2006 at 11:03 pm

Israel has invaded a country – a soverign country. It’s not an incursion. War should be called war. When soldiers attack this is what it should be called. When people die, it should be announced as such. The depersonalization of war allows for it to continue. There are no good guys here. Not israel, not Hezbullah. They’re both out of their gord with power. Launching rockets never solved a darn thing that talking 20 years ago couldn’t have. Not to mention nuclear non-proliferation on the part of Israel. What do they need nukes for? Seriously. It’s a joke. We’re financing bloodbath after bloodbath between Iraq (which we’d previously armed in the 1980′s) and Iran (which we’d also armed in the 1980s) and now Israel. This has got to stop. I think we need to do a general millitary embargo on the middle east. The sharonist policies of Israel are so much disaster, death and imperalism. Manifest Destiny wasn’t right for America and it isn’t right for Israel.

Seamus

posted July 27, 2006 at 10:16 am

Israel has invaded a country – a soverign country. It’s not an incursion.
Invasion. Incursion. Whatever. People got their knickers in a exactly the same twist over terminology in 1970 when the United
States invaded, er, launched an incursion into, Cambodia to root out the Viet Cong terrorists/guerrillas that the Cambodian government was powerless to take care of itself.
Except that at that time the supporters of the invasion were arguing *for* use of the term “incursion.”