Via Media

Via Media

Speaking of Theocracy…

posted by awelborn

Is it "theocracy" when a public high school announces that its planned post-prom event (designed to keep the kids in control and out of hotel-room drinking parties) is centered on having the kids attend a late-night showing of The Da Vinci Code?

More as it develops….or, we can hope, thanks to some strong parental protests…doesn’t.

Jennifer N.

posted March 30, 2006 at 9:57 am

Entry #1573 on my list of Reasons Why We Homeschool.

Fr. Stephanos, O.S.B.

posted March 30, 2006 at 10:57 am

There is priest stationed in Rome’s Opus Dei headquarters, and he blogs:

Ken

posted March 30, 2006 at 12:34 pm

I look forward to seeing this skewered in a future episode of South Park. (Which is becoming increasingly difficult to tell from reality.)

Mike Hayes

posted March 30, 2006 at 12:56 pm

Sounds dumb to me too (Probably to the surprise of Rich). I also think that h.s. kids are going to find a way to party whether it’s at the prom or not. I’d love to see a follow up story done on Sr. Skip Days in schools where they had a “controlled prom.” Not sure what the solution here is.

Don

posted March 30, 2006 at 3:01 pm

The film will probably be less harmful than what the kids were taught in religion class the previous four years, if it’s your average Catholic high school.

Fortiterinre

posted March 30, 2006 at 4:58 pm

No link? Is this not a public story yet?

amy

posted March 30, 2006 at 5:21 pm

No -it’s something someone told me yesterday. She’s going to keep me posted.

Christy

posted March 30, 2006 at 8:26 pm

Regardless of our feelings about the film’s heresies, what teens are going to want to watch THAT after prom? Was The Manchurian Candidate not available?

Aron