Via Media

Via Media

Scratch that

posted by awelborn

Bishop says no miracle in Dallas.

Angolino

posted March 24, 2006 at 12:18 am

It’s good to know the truth about this. But does the Bishop’s tone seem a bit snippy to the poor priest? Perhaps the priest got carried away and maybe even went public in an unfortunate way. But this sounds kind of like a smack down. I’ll keep that parish in my prayers.

Bender

posted March 24, 2006 at 2:25 am

does the Bishop’s tone seem a bit snippy
His tone? Can we please end this constant mindless, presumptuous, and corrosive questioning and doubting and slamming of our bishops?? Doesn’t anyone ever have anything good to say about them?? Must there be nothing but distain for these Successors of the Apostles??
Instead of criticism for every bishop under the sun, why don’t we rejoice in the Good News that is Jesus Christ?? Isn’t that what we are supposed to be all about??
Or is my tone too snippy?

Magda

posted March 24, 2006 at 7:16 am

People who frequent comments sections, of all people, should know that the written word is not a great carrier of tone of voice.

Joe Gloor

posted March 24, 2006 at 9:25 am

Isn’t it still a consecrated Host?
Who’s going to eat it now?

Caroline

posted March 24, 2006 at 10:24 am

Why didn’t some one just consume it on the spot when the boy spat it out? I have had to do that in my hospital ministry. It’s the quickest and easiest solution.

Thomas Hynes

posted March 24, 2006 at 11:34 am

It is a consecrated host as long as it has the attributes, ie. “accidents” of bread. If it has been digested by the mold it is no longer a consecrated host.

thomas tucker

posted March 24, 2006 at 1:18 pm

i can hear them now: That’s what those Catholics get for worshipping bread and statues.

cheyan

posted March 24, 2006 at 4:50 pm

So, if the mold digested the bread, does that mean that the colony of mold received the Blessed Sacrament?
(This is only partly a silly question. ‘Obviously’ fungus can’t receive communion worthily, because it has no brain. What about a cat or a dolphin? How about an intelligent, self-aware alien?)

Fr Martin Fox (Septimus)

posted March 24, 2006 at 6:38 pm

There’s nothing improper about putting a host that won’t be consumed, into a bowl of water and to allow it to dissolve. That’s de rigeur for when a host, for various reasons, isn’t suitable for consumption, or even if consuming a host is repugnant.

Todd

posted March 25, 2006 at 11:27 am

Receiving Communion is not as simple as the act of ingestion. It presumes participation in the Body of Christ, meaning an active life supporting the Reign of God, with the active cooperation with God’s plan through charity, love, justice, and other callings of the Holy Spirit.
Fr Fox is right: the proper procedure for a host not received and unable to be ingested was followed here.
Faithful, believing communicants receive the Blessed Sacrament, in the full meaning of the word “receive.” Fungi, dolphins, cats, and non-believing humans ingest a host. That’s all.