Via Media

Via Media

WYD!

posted by awelborn

I’ve still not gathered all of my links, but will work on that today, and have it up by late this afternoon. But you can get started by checking out Tim Drake, who’s on the ground, after a rocky start. One of his initial observations:

The anti-Catholic groups are present as well. There seem to be far more anti-Catholic activities here in Cologne in comparison to the other WYD venues. Could it be because we are in the country that birthed the Reformation?

Fr. Dowd of Canada is also there, and has audioblog posts

The first leg of Father Todd’s journey was rough as well, but he hopes things will get better

Jonathan Carpenter

posted August 14, 2005 at 2:56 pm

I am not to surprised that Anti-Catholic groups are at the World Youth Day in Cologne. Anytime the Pope visits an area such as Germany, Mexico and even the US, these groups are drawn to it like mothes are to lights. An example of this would be during the Pope’s 1987 visit to San Antonio I saw every type of group from Bob Jones University, John Hagee and last but not least NARAL.

Kenjiro Shoda

posted August 14, 2005 at 3:06 pm

NO surprise the anti-Catholic Protestant groups are present. The unfortunate thing is that the German Catholics are now more Protestant than Catholic in their outlook towards the Church, and of course with regards to the Mass. Thanks to Vatican II, world-wide the Mass is almost the same as a Lutheran/Calvinist/Anglican “serivce”…or whatever they call it.
It is unfortunate that the porganizers of the World Youth Day in Germany decided to make large parts of the festivities “ecumenical”, thus allowing for Protestant participation. One of the results of this freedom is the mushrooming of anti-Catholic groups at the WYD. Had the celebrations been limited to Catholics alone, the Protestants and other anit-Catholic groups would havenot been so vocal, or visible.
I think its time for the Catholic Church to once again re-emphasize the very substantial and insurrmountable differences between the Catholic Church, its beliefs and its Mass….and the practices and beliefs of Protestants. Mind you, not to bring back the days of calling people “heretics”, but to bring back the climate of the 1950′s, when each Church respected each other but went their own ways and never crossed paths.
The feeling them was that we should not engage in useless dialog with peopoe of such divergent beliefs. Regardless of the all inclusive mentality of JP II….the same reality is present, and it should be re-emphasized with charity but clarity. Benedict XVI might be the right man for this daunting job.

francis

posted August 14, 2005 at 3:56 pm

Dear Kenjiro,
you might criticize Vatican II as much as you want to. But it hasn’t turned the Mass into some Protestant service. Granted, too many Catholics ahdere to serious errors, not only in regard to Mass, but trusting in Him I hope time will heal this.
Well, my actual point is: it’s not true that the WYD is organized on a ecumenical scale (and some officials of the mainstream Protestant churches have even discouraged Protestant participation). And it has nothing to do with anti-Catholics. The anti-WYD’ers (and they are not at the WYD or part of it – they are just in the same city at the same time) are mainly two groups:
1) Free church Protestants who protest against certain Catholic particulars (e.g. Mary, indulgence etc)
2) Atheists who cannot bear to see Christians out in the open
Well, and and a third one:
3) Catholics-for-a-free-choice (Yes, the Quissling group) putting up posters in tube stations advocating safe sex etc.
So, Kenjiro, certainly not everything is all right in Germany’s Catholic church (though I except improvements) but no reason for what you posted about.

reluctant penitent

posted August 14, 2005 at 7:06 pm

“you might criticize Vatican II as much as you want to. But it hasn’t turned the Mass into some Protestant service.”
It’s undeniable that the average US Novus Ordo Mass resembles something that one might see in a Lutheran Church on any given Sunday more than it resembles a Tridentine Mass. And chances are that the music is composed by a Lutheran as well.

francis

posted August 15, 2005 at 6:00 am

That might be so, reluctant one, but the question is how to evaluate these things. And IMHO the above post was going at least a bit too far.

Rich Leonardi

posted August 15, 2005 at 8:17 am

I believe Catholic Answers developed its “Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth” booklet to distribute at WYD Denver because of the anticipated large anti-Catholic presence.

reluctant penitent

posted August 15, 2005 at 11:11 am

“Also, I think it’s more important to be true and faithful to God and His Church and tradition (of which the Tridentine Mass in all its glory is only one part) than to be afraid that we are becoming to much alike the Lutherans.”
I agree, o correct one.

francis

posted August 22, 2005 at 4:05 pm

Than, Reluctant one, I say Amen to that, having returned from Cologne.