Via Media

Via Media

World Youth Day, Cologne 2005

posted by awelborn

Following are links related to WYD-news. Mark this post as a favorite and return for WYD news from the ground:

The official WYD page

The schedule for the week

The Vatican WYD page

Vatican Radio coverage

EWTN Coverage Page

WYD official webcam at Marienfeld, the site of the closing ceremonies next Sunday

Drew Mariani will be broadcasting from WYD, starting on 8/15

A WYD site that seems to be sponsored by Regnum Christi.

A site providing updates, mainly from the music angle

A press pool, by and for freelancers

Juventutem – a sub-gathering of traditionalist Catholic youth

Domus Vitae:

The project is to create a "Center for Life" during World Youth Day (WDY) in Kohln (Germany) in August 2005.
At the very heart of the centre will to welcome the Wounded of Life and the needy: People with a handicap, young left out of society, single mothers or ex-addicts

World Youth Day Radio

Now, the Bloggers!

Brandon Evans of the Criterion, the paper of the Archdiocese of Indianapolis, has a weblog and regular articles he’s posting constantly.

Tim Drake, veteran Catholic journalist and author of Young and Catholic

A Canadian priest, Fr. Dowd

Fr. Todd Reitmeyer of the Diocese of Sioux Falls

St. Bonifatius, which so far, is very meaty and interesting:

I’ll be blogging as part of Bonifatius, a group of people travelling from the Diocese of Groningen in the Netherlands. On Thursday morning we travel to Dokkum (place of martyrdom of St. Boniface) and then on to Cologne on Monday afternoon.

Bonifatius’ WJDblog is to be found here. There are three (I think) people who have blogging rights, including me, and thus at least some of the entries will be in English :)

The Roamin’ Roman will be making her way there

An Italian blog on the site from the Paulines.

Confessions of a Recovering Choir Director – going to Juventutem, and WYD

Fr. Willy Raymond of the Family Theater is going in a party that includes Jim Caviezel. This will include both regular blogging and audio podcasts

Mark Butler will be blogging at Catholic Report

A Spanish site with reports from those attending with the NeoCatechumenal Way

Becky at Orthodoxy, Eh is on her way and plans to blog from Cologne

A seminarian named Jeff from St. Louis who is blogging and posting photographs

Various staffers of the Archdiocese of Vancouver youth ministery office blogging from Cologne

This is a good one: a WYD "virtual pilgrimage" in which a blogger who’s unable to go is taking time to study and explain various aspects of the event: the patron saints, the pilgrimage stops, the symbolism.

Ad Limina Apostolorum

Podcasts from the Catholic Insider – Fr. Roderick Vonhoegen

As usual…add your own.

FYI – here’s an explanation of the symbol’s various elements.

Petra

posted August 14, 2005 at 9:33 pm

Here’s a blog in German.
It’s actually a blog written by three journalists of the Westdeutscher Rundfunk (the regional TV and radio station) and the Deutsche Welle (international German radio). They have all kinds of interesting reports from the WYD and its surroundings.

KH

posted August 14, 2005 at 9:45 pm

I just dropped off my son and husband at JFK, in the middle of horrendous thunderstorms. As far as the website says, they haven’t taken off yet, making them an hour late…so far. At the airport, there was a mess of kids and priests and nuns; it was right about then that I really wished I was going.
The important instructions I gave them: make sure you both wear your B16 “The Cafeteria is Closed” shirts (designed by Fr. Bryce Sibley) and wave behind live interviews on EWTN, like good NYers.

Dunstan

posted August 15, 2005 at 7:01 am

Livi, the English-speaking blogger of St Bonifatius, is a friend of mine. She’s also adorable, but I may be a bit biased in my assessment ;-)

Kevin D. Dello Iacono

posted August 15, 2005 at 8:18 am

I came across an interesting story concerning a group of young traditionalists at World Youth Day:
Traditional Latin Mass is given a new lease of life [at WYD]

Devin Scherck

posted August 15, 2005 at 9:54 am

I know one of the Angry Twins is headed there.

Mila Morales

posted August 15, 2005 at 3:23 pm

Travel was difficult, especially with the British Airways strike. My son was supposed to leave from Boston-London-Cologne. Ended up going Boston-Chicago-Frankfort-Cologne, on a different airline. Thank God he made it okay. He will be one of the volunteers.

Magnus for friendship

posted August 16, 2005 at 2:43 am

Christopher

posted August 16, 2005 at 4:51 pm

One of the perks of his profession — my brother Jamie is “attending World Youth Day on a more or less business related trip.” Having blazed through Vienna in Three Hours, he’s now blogging his first day in Cologne — check it out at AdLimina.Blogspot.com.

ederic@cyberspace

posted August 16, 2005 at 8:00 pm

World Youth Day, err, Denied

The World Youth Day participants in Germany are now eagerly looking forward to meeting Pope Benedict XVI in Cologne two days from now. Meanwhile, those of us who had to remain in the Philippines because the German Embassy denied our visa application–…

Ederic

posted August 16, 2005 at 8:02 pm

Thanks for the links. You may want to include one form a would-be-delegate who never made it. :D

katymalone

posted August 16, 2005 at 10:06 pm

Small World Dept: Father Todd Reitmeyer has just settled into the little South Dakota parish wherein I made my First Holy Communion, First Penance, and Confirmation waayyyyy back in the day. How wonderful that he’s “herding young cats” (and their chaperones) to WYD!!! His blog (a Son becomes a Father) is a hoot as he makes his way through Europe. He and his group will be followed with my prayers for a wonderful, holy time!

Teresa

posted August 17, 2005 at 12:29 am

Isn’t WYD great?! There is such a thing as being too young for it though. I have to shoot my young boys the Glare of Correction when they fall into gales of laughter upon hearing a Catholic with a German accent say: “We should all be filled with the love of cheeses.”

Duc In Altum

posted August 18, 2005 at 12:28 am

World Youth Day Information

Amy Welborn at Open Book has compiled a nice list of media sites, blogs and other sites related to World Youth Day 2005. Of note are Tim Drake’s Young and Catholic site where he has been providing insightful posts since early in the week. I will also h…

Clayton

posted August 24, 2005 at 9:40 am

There’s finally some fresh content – both text and audio podcast – over at Fr. Willy’s Coragio blog, now that he has returned from Europe. More to follow in the coming week…

Norm Blanchard

posted September 1, 2005 at 9:26 am

Can anyone tell me where I can obtain a video recording of the opening Mass, the Vigil and the concluding Mass of World Youth Days in Cologne Germany this past month ?
If anyone can help me with this search, I’d much appreciate it.

Richard Elson

posted September 27, 2005 at 6:17 pm

Can anyone help with finding a video of the World Youth Day Vigil and Mass at Cologne?

Gabi

posted October 10, 2005 at 5:07 am

Gabi

posted October 10, 2005 at 5:20 am

I´ll try again:
For videos, check these links:
television/multimedia/archivio_en.html
ccom/
2005/08/21/world/main789032.shtml
_story_230073220.html
europe/4170204.stm#
11/0,3672,2360043,00.html
weltjugendtag_2005_medienverbund.jhtml
actualiteit/nieuws/nieuws_571451.html
topstories_story_233102551.html
inhalt/12/0,4070,2347436-1,00.html

Irmalinda

posted November 1, 2005 at 3:10 pm

well i was one of many blessed youths to attend world youth day in Koln, Germany. I went with a group thats located in my parish called the Neo catechumenal Way. this group is located around the world. many of you have heard of it before. But it was so great to see all these other communities there!!! from Italy, Spain, Australia, China, England and all of the other neo catechumenal communities from the United STates there!!!!!!!!!!!1.. you didnt feel alone for one bit of a second.. ! i especially LOVED the encounter with Kiko Arguello (the founder of the group) after the vigil with the pope. To see thousands and thousands of youth there. all singing the same songs but different languages, understand what we all go through.. and can relate to. was AWESOME!!!.. this was my second pilgrimage (other one in Canada) and my sisters 3rd.(jerusalem, canada, germany) and we Neo catechumens are excitied for the upcomming pilgrimage in AUSTRALIA BABY!!!!!!!!!!!..
irmalinda
california (USA)
2nd community
of the neo catechumenal way.

MZAPHIRIS

posted February 19, 2006 at 3:14 pm

CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE TITLE OF THE MAIN THEME SONG SUNG AT THE COLOGNE WYD…IT WAS SUNG EVERYDAY REPETITIOSLY…BEAUTIFUL…AND WHO WROTE IT AND IS IT AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE SHEET MUSIC….MZ

Merilyn Smith

posted August 9, 2007 at 5:37 am

Hello, not sure if this is when to send this question, but I am looking for the sheet music of “Tell the World of his love” which was used at a World Youth Day, possibly in 2005. anyone know where I can buy this?

music