Via Media

Via Media

Sister Gets it Done

posted by awelborn

Nun protests filming of DVC at Lincoln Cathedral

Sister Mary, robed in brown habit and blue veil, told The Times that the central thesis of the book was drawn from an old gnostic heresy that she first became aware of 50 years ago, when she was 11. She admitted that she had not read the book but said that she had read enough about it to understand its central errors.

She accused Lincoln Cathedral of the sin of simony, conducting financial transactions involving spiritual goods.

“The Church should not be accepting money for something that is not a true story,” she said. “There is something wrong. They really should be praying more, and then the money would come in. I do not believe the film will be successful. The essence of what I believe is that I received the true body and blood of our Lord at Mass this morning. That is the true bloodline.

“To a believer, any believer, what is happening is blasphemous. It is an offence against God. I am not going to bash anyone over the head with a Bible, I am just trying to make reparation to God.”

She said that many other Catholics in the city opposed the book but conceded that the protest had been small. “It takes a bit of courage to do this. Most people have decided to pray at home.” The scenes in Lincoln are expected to take five days to complete.

By the way, the Lincoln Cathedral is an Anglican cathedral. Westminster was asked to host the shoot, but refused.

BillyHW

posted August 16, 2005 at 12:00 am

I think it’s time the Pope asked for Westminster back.

Tim Ferguson

posted August 16, 2005 at 5:49 am

We’ve already got Westminster Cathedral – which has always been ours – perhaps you’re thinking it’s time to ask for Westminster Abbey back, and yeah, I’d agreed.
A couple years ago the Church of St. Etheldreda in London had an anniversary celebration, it’s one of, if not THE oldest, continuously used Catholic Church in England (it was associated with the Spanish Embassy, so it was open during the time most Catholic Churches became CofE). Queen Elizabeth was present at the celebration, at which the forearm of St. Etheldreda, which had been spirited away from Ely Cathedral during the Reformation and preserved for centuries by a convent of nuns in France, was enshrined in the church. After the Mass, the Queen was chatting with the pastor and remarked that it would be a wonderful ecumenical gesture if the relic of St. Etheldreda would be returned to Ely Cathedral, where is once resided. The pastor, not missing a beat, said, yes, and it would be even better if Ely Cathedral were returned to the Catholic Church, which built it.

Tony

posted August 16, 2005 at 9:15 am

Right on sister!!!

Henry Dieterich

posted August 16, 2005 at 9:54 am

Both stories state that Westminster Abbey (Anglican) refused to allow filming, but the first story appears to suggest that Westminster Cathedral (Catholic) is permitting it. Can this be clarified?

michaelus

posted August 16, 2005 at 10:02 am

No word yet on whether the costumed actor in charge of the historic building (called a “dean”) will accept another fee to allow a combination Rave/Black Mass starring Eminem, Madonna and Kabbalist Choir to be celebrated in honor of the autumnal equinox.
Actually I bet they would do this for free…
One day the faithful who built and worshiped at this cathedral for centuries will rise up and obliterate these idiots. I cannot wait to see it happen.

Boethius

posted August 16, 2005 at 10:24 am

It’s refreshing to see a nun protesting against attacks on the faith, rather than being the attacker.

hieronymus

posted August 16, 2005 at 12:08 pm

“Asked if she thought the people making the film would care about her protest, she said: “I don’t suppose they do, but that doesn’t matter tuppence to me. It matters to me what God thinks, not what the film crew think.”
Tuppence? Ha – Sister Mary rules.

John P Sheridan

posted August 16, 2005 at 1:52 pm

Henry,
I beleve the story said that filming would take place at Lincoln and Winchester Cathedrals (both C of E).

Melllvar

posted August 16, 2005 at 2:23 pm

Its confusing, but they are apparently filming at Winchester, not Westminster, Cathedral.

Lynn

posted August 16, 2005 at 6:03 pm

My kind of nun! God bless her!

Ed the Roman

posted August 17, 2005 at 9:26 am

It’s easy to suspect that protestations (intended) of the faith of the Queen and before her the Queen Mum are just PR. But one interesting thing about the Abbey is that it is what is called a Royal Peculiar, one of several churches where the Sovereign has more hands-on authority in a lot of things, like personnel assignments. I don’t know if Lincoln is one as well, but I doubt it.
None of the Royal Peculiars, btw, has a priestess assigned.