Via Media

Via Media

Remember, if you’re in Philly:

posted by awelborn

I’ll be speaking for the Archdiocese of Philadelphia’s Theology on Tap program on Thursday:

(click on the logo for details)

August 4
Will the REAL Jesus Please Stand Up? Why the Truth about Jesus Matters for You.
Speaker: Amy Welborn (click here to learn more!)
Author of many Catholic publications including: De-Coding DaVinci
and Here.Now. A Catholic Guide to the Good Life.

lw

posted August 4, 2005 at 9:41 am

Marion (Mael Muire)

posted August 4, 2005 at 9:49 am

Lw asks, is “the logo . . . a little inappropriate?”
Theology on Tap New York City’s website contains the following FAQ:
“Come on! Discussing theology in a bar? What does the Church say about that?
“Theology-on-Tap is in perfect alignment with the Pope! The Holy Father tells us to bring the gospel of Christ into the streets and to speak it from the housetops, and to go to where people are. Theology-on-Tap aims to discuss the teachings of the Catholic Church in a non-threatening, comfortable environment.
“I know the program is reaching out to Catholics in their 20′s and 30′s. But can anyone come?
“While we do primarily reach out to Catholics in their 20′s and 30′s, everyone is invited: Catholics and non-Catholics, beer drinkers and non-beer drinkers, ages 21-101.”

Al B.

posted August 4, 2005 at 10:42 am

I am genuinely sorry that I could not make it tonight, for want a babysitter for our 3 children.
Theology on tap is common young adult outreach in my area in Philadelphia and Camden Diocese. The Young Adult Group in Philly seems to be fairly active and I hope Amy visits St. John the Evangelist Church (which hosts them) for prayer or mass.
I think Theology on Tap it is a great way to reach out to people who might not otherwise go to Church to listen to a seminar. When I was younger, this sort of activity was one of the things that helped draw me back to the faith.

ajb

posted August 4, 2005 at 12:03 pm

“I’m not a tee-totaler, but is there anyone else out there who finds the logo to be a little inappropriate? It is a rendering of a keg isn’t it?”
You are correct. The only alcoholic containers that should be referenced by any institutional body of the Church are stone jars and wineskins (old or new). I mean, WWJD (What Would Jesus Drink)?!?

Ian

posted August 4, 2005 at 12:08 pm

See you there! Here’s hoping you’ll have books!

Brian Lester

posted August 4, 2005 at 2:32 pm

“I should like a great lake of ale, for the King of Kings. I should like the family of Heaven to be drinking it through time eternal. Amen.” — St. Brigid
Cool, A lake is even bigger than a keg! ;P

Septimus

posted August 4, 2005 at 3:18 pm

Sed contra…I have NO problem with the logo.
Beer is good: and I mean that in all senses, including metaphysically, ontologically, theologically, soteriologically and last, but not least, eschatologically!

Zhou

posted August 4, 2005 at 3:21 pm

What’s wrong with the logo?
Haven’t you people ever seen a clock before?
Barkeep, give me another!

Sonetka

posted August 4, 2005 at 4:52 pm

I think we’ll be waiting a long time if we’re expecting a German Pope to speak out against a keg logo :).

Kevin

posted August 4, 2005 at 5:55 pm

Nicholas

posted August 4, 2005 at 8:36 pm

How wonderful…the beer discussion fits very well with Fr. Freeman’s recent post about beauty on Pontifications. How, you may ask? The saying attributed to Benjamin Franklin, “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy,” is the proof of the existence of God by beauty, considered under one aspect of its manifestation. We apprehend the created beauty of the beer, which lingers but briefly upon the eye, the nose, and the palate, and yet in its golden depths and sweet savor catch a glimpse of the beauty of God, uncreated and eternal.
Conversely, Budweiser (American Budweiser, not the real stuff from Bohemia) is proof that no creature is too humble for Satan to corrupt.

Kevin

posted August 4, 2005 at 9:06 pm

If moderate drinking does this to our brainpower http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/8-3-2005-74177.asp
can we extrapolate this to our spirituality if we drink and listen to theology lectures?

Plato's Stepchild

posted August 4, 2005 at 9:41 pm

Benedictine monks put their ‘faith’ in Brick
Andech’s Located at the foothills of Germany’s Bavarian Alps lies the world-famous Kloster Andechs Monastery. It is a site of religious pilgrimage, but also one visited by international beer connoisseurs eager to taste and enjoy Andechs beer which is the result of the brewing arts and skill practiced by the Benedictines. These monks have been faithfully brewing their own beer since 1455.
Andechs beer has never been exported to North America. Concerns over quality and freshness have forbidden it. Finally, after 500 years we can appreciate the Benedictine’s precious brew in Canada. After long deliberation, Kloster Andechs judged the Brick Brewing Company to have the brewing skills needed to be entrusted with its historic secret recipes.
Brick is the only brewery to brew and distribute Andechs beer outside of Germany. The Benedictine monks use the proceeds from their licensing fees to help fund the Abbey’s educational and social service programs in their individual community.