Via Media

Via Media

Pope on a Boat!

posted by awelborn

Go to the EWTN site for live streaming coverage

He looks very happy, surrounded by young people, riding down the river…

An account of his opening remarks:

"I am happy to be with them, to confirm their faith and to enliven their hope," he added.

That statement is striking, and an answer to those who fret about celebrity worship and wonder why the Pope-focus. He knows why he’s there.

EuropeanCatholic

posted August 18, 2005 at 10:35 am

Has this idea with the Pope on the boat worked?
At the moment, he is delivering his message. He seems so far away from everyone, plus there is this massive echo after he speaks!
On the Plus side. The Holy Father has just said something very beautiful about Christ in English. I can’t wait to read his address when it is released on the Vatican Website.

reluctant penitent

posted August 18, 2005 at 10:47 am

What’s with the kids around the Pope making hand puppet gestures?

Dennis

posted August 18, 2005 at 11:04 am

If only they had done something about the insipid music for this WYD. This incessant “Here I Am Lord” in the background is giving me unwelcome flashbacks to elementary school music class.

Jason

posted August 18, 2005 at 11:36 am

I caught part of his English address. He said something beautiful to the effect of “there is a name and a face to the happiness you search for, Jesus Christ”.

SouthCoast

posted August 18, 2005 at 11:44 am

My local PBS radio station had a brief reference to WYD on the way into work this morning. They couldn’t get around mentioning the Pope, but the report’s salient feature was the presence of some Young Persons protesting the Church’s policies on abortion, birth control, and homosexuality, (which apparently throw a wrench into their personal lifestyle plans). What a surprise. I am so glad I am no longer a PBS donor!

Dennis

posted August 18, 2005 at 11:48 am

Ahh…much better now, the music from the Cathedral Choir.

Christine

posted August 18, 2005 at 12:21 pm

I am hoping and anticipating that someone, perhaps EWTN, will have videos or DVDs available after WYD?

Tim

posted August 18, 2005 at 12:35 pm

To make sure that the youth of the world understood they were in Germany, where frivolity has its place, the Archbishop of Cologne shouted “Silence!” to the chanting youth who interrupted his introduction of B-XVI outside the Cathedral in Cologne. Up until then it seemed like everyone was having a good time.

TSO

posted August 18, 2005 at 1:02 pm

Gosh I feel so guilty loving this Pope so much, as if I’m being unfaithful to the memory of JPII!

TT

posted August 18, 2005 at 1:11 pm

TOS,
You need not feel guilty for loving this man whom John Paul the Great loved and depended on first. JPII sowed the fields that BXVI is now harvesting.

Erik Keilholtz

posted August 20, 2005 at 2:41 am

You can bet that the Holy Father is not “ordaining” any women on this riverboat!