Via Media

Via Media

Oh yes

posted by awelborn

Joseph did start preschool today. All day, no less. Nothing like having a mother throw you into the deep end for your first swimming lesson. I haven’t blogged about it yet because…I wanted to wait until the day was done. Which it will be in about 45 minutes, so I can go to the school and sense my guilt either be assuaged or deepened. The last glimpse I had of him, he was holding the waistband on his shorts with a tight fist, because, I suppose, I had picked out the wrong pair, the pair that’s just a tad loose and that leaves him in the constant worry that they’re going to fall off. Oh dear. Well, at least I remembered to put him a striped shirt, so at least that particular anxiety will have no place.

julie b

posted August 22, 2005 at 3:45 pm

My youngest started “kinder kamp” today. It’s a little four day, two hour, get your feet wet type of program. Kindergarten is just around the corner. I haven’t sent a child off to Kindergarten since 1989……yup, a big spread between child two and three. He loves it, my little guy. He’s such a social fellow! But oh, is it bittersweet. I know what’s coming. I know our years of almost always being together are slowly going to give way to almost always being apart. I thank God for the past five years. And I know there is much to look forward to. After all, I just became a Grandma for the second time! But those first five years are precious, and I sure will miss them.

Lynn

posted August 22, 2005 at 5:17 pm

Someday you (and Joseph) will look back on this day and smile.

Susan F. Peterson

posted August 22, 2005 at 7:14 pm

You know, I just don’t get the significance of a striped shirt. What anxiety is relieved by having a striped shirt? I have been hoping some commentor would make it clear so I didn’t have to admit my ignorance, but, no luck.
Susan Peterson

Mary Kay

posted August 22, 2005 at 7:23 pm

Susan, my guess is that the striped shirt is sorta kinda the equivalent of Linus’ blanket.
Amy, weellll? 45 minutes must be up.

amy

posted August 22, 2005 at 8:33 pm

Susan -
Oh, it’s just that at some point around the age of 3, Joseph developed a serious preference for striped shirts. He’ll wear non-striped shirts,b ut the first time he wears a particular non-striped shirt is kind of battle. But after that, he’s fine. For example, my dad got him a t-shirt from Rome that said, you know “Rome” on it. He immediately announced that he wouldn’t wear it. We had to bribe him to put it on. But ever since – he’ll wear it, no argument. It’s odd. I don’t remark on it in front of him because I don’t want to reinforce it, but he definitely feels more comfortable if he’s got one of his 4 or 5 old faithful striped shirts on…

Lynn

posted August 22, 2005 at 8:35 pm

What he needs is a Florida Gator shirt! Next time you’re down this way….

Jen P

posted August 22, 2005 at 8:58 pm

My 3 year old is often the same way about clothes (though not as predictable with stripes!). She’ll insist that a particular dress/shirt/outfit is yukky and not to be tolerated. Then I make her wear it and all of a sudden, it’s okay. In fact, she’ll say things like “I didn’t like this dress, but I wore it and now I like it.” And then again, sometimes, she’ll just keep crying and insisting that the pants are of the anti-Christ…or something like that. Very strange.

Mary Kay

posted August 22, 2005 at 9:04 pm

Amy, isn’t it funny how we develop “comfort clothes” fairly early.

Kathy B.

posted August 22, 2005 at 10:05 pm

Amy -
What a good mom you are – it’s Monday evening and you already have Joseph’s first-day-of-school picture here on your website. Very cute!

Lynn

posted August 22, 2005 at 10:23 pm

He looks so grown-up!

Jonathan Carpenter

posted August 22, 2005 at 11:09 pm

Amy:
Treasure these moments, because soon he will be off to college at West Point or Annapolis.

Anonymous Teacher Person

posted August 23, 2005 at 5:19 am

What a sweet little boy! I hope his first day went well.
My 3-year-old’s preference is for Texas Longhorn clothing, due to the conditioning imposed by the paternal branch of the family. If there is a reasonably clean burnt orange item in his closet, that’s what he will choose. Which would be less of a problem if we did not live in an SEC college town.

Mary Kay

posted August 23, 2005 at 7:02 am

Amy, thanks for putting Joseph’s picture up. Great first day of school picture.

Peggy

posted August 23, 2005 at 3:10 pm

My boys don’t have clothes preferences, though they like to run around butt-naked after baths. Gotta hurry after the 2 yo, however, so as to avoid accidents! I like them in short-sleeved striped shirts. My 3 yo looks like Opey Taylor! So cute!
We’re not ready for school yet, though I think our older boy would do fine.

Patti

posted August 24, 2005 at 10:34 am

My 4-year-old’s preschool has an optional uniform shirt. Good thing I bought more than one, because that’s ALL my Joseph will wear! I guess it makes him feel more like an official student like his older brother.