Via Media

Via Media

Newmax, eh?

posted by awelborn

You know, I normally don’t read NewsMax anyway, but for some reason I get email alerts from them. Tonight’s caught my eye because it was about the Mel Gibson Passion thing at WYD in Sydney. Amazing that I had to scroll through a long advertising paen to some uh, male performance-enhancing supplement, written in the persona of a guy praising it for the impact it’s had on his relationship, not with his wife, but with his girlfriend.

Is this for the species known as "South Park Conservative?" Or was "passion" a coincidental keyword?

Suibhne

posted August 25, 2005 at 10:21 am

I’m also aggrieved by this lamentable trend of the South Park Conservative. It’s similar to the trend in sports in which athletes break the law to get “steet cred.” It’s ridiculous.

Suibhne

posted August 25, 2005 at 10:22 am

Make that “street cred.”

john c

posted August 25, 2005 at 11:08 am

I like a guy (woman?) who takes the trouble to put his single letter spelling corrections in italic font!

Victor Morton

posted August 25, 2005 at 12:24 pm

Hmmm … I didn’t get that ad on my alert.
I got it!!! Maybe what it is is that they customize the ads to the recipient. And they’ve figured out that Madame Welborn is a filthy-minded, foul-mouthed perv and that my every thought, word and deed is as sweet and pure as the driven snow.
THAT’s the ticket.

Nguoi Dang Chay

posted August 25, 2005 at 1:40 pm

>>I’m also aggrieved by this lamentable trend of the South Park Conservative.
I suppose it really depends what one means by such a term. Those who self-identify as such would likely dispute the characterizations of those who criticize SP cons.
Some of the SPCons are likely just libertarian types like the creators of the show, distrustful or even scornful of religion.
Other SPCons may just like irreverent humor and tend toward a more open acknowledgement of their own sinfulness, shall we say.
I tend in that (second) direction to some degree but I wouldn’t call myself a SPCon, since I’d rather not be defined by whatever Trey Parker and Matt Stone come up with next.

HP

posted August 26, 2005 at 5:28 am

What’s a South Park Conservative?

HP

posted August 26, 2005 at 5:29 am

What’s a South Park Conservative?

Der Tommissar

posted August 26, 2005 at 3:36 pm

What’s a South Park Conservative?
A very brief description would be: and “edgy” individual with conservative/libertarian beliefs. They trend moderate on social issues.
Of course, that’s just one of nine thousand.

HP