Via Media

Via Media

From a Sculptor:

posted by awelborn

She writes:

Under the title of your entry ‘ Inspired’ (august 22, 2005) is a comment from Maureen. Her entry ends with:

‘I suspect we’ll see a big crop of great Christian writers and artists from out of Eastern Europe. Of course, first we have to be able to get to see their stuff….’

I am a sculptor from Czechoslovakia (an American now). Here is couple of pictures of my work (three pages):

My response is to the call for Eastern Europe’s artists. The great Christian artist is an aspiration :^)

Donna

posted August 24, 2005 at 12:13 am

As an art-lover who is disgusted with the in-your-face nihilism, supposedly “cutting edge” blasphemy and sheer ugliness of the dreck that passes for art nowadays, I would love to see a return to Christian art.
But the resistance from the NY art establishment will be formidable. In Tom Wolfe’s book “Hooking Up,” he has an interesting essay on the sculptor Frederick Hart, who died in 1999. Hart, a convert to Catholicism, designed the beautiful “Ex Nihilo” sculpture on the west facade of the National Cathederal and the “Three Soldiers” Vietnam Memorial, along other things. His works were never once reviewed by art critics.
However,Wolfe wrote: “The art historian Gregory Hedberg,…,says that with metronomic regularity the dawn of each new century has seen a collapse of one reigning taste and the establishment of another.” From Mannerist to Baroque to Rococco, to Neoclassicist, to Modernism, to – what next?
Please, let the tiresome age of “Look at me! I’m being transgressive!” draw to an end.

Anglo-Catholic

posted August 24, 2005 at 1:02 am

As Roman Catholics, you might be interested in the latest post at All Too Common.
The Common Anglican asks about Indulgences and Purgatory.
Check it out

Julia

posted August 24, 2005 at 6:18 am

St Louis U, my alma mater, does some things right. Check out their contemporary religious art museum in St. Louis.

scotch meg

posted August 24, 2005 at 6:45 am

These sculptures are amazing… of course, one has to appreciate representational art to enjoy them. Perhaps there’s hope.
Another source of hope: whatever one may think of the rest of “crisis”, the music critic, Robert Reilly, does fabulous reviews of modern classical music that has — gasp — melodies, and themes, and isn’t atonal.
And Amy links to Terry Teachout.
Don’t look to the MSM for this stuff, but it seems to be out there.

Jane

posted August 24, 2005 at 6:47 am

Her sculptures are breathtaking.

Maureen

posted August 24, 2005 at 8:36 am

*grin* *grin* *grin*
I’m so glad Ms. Zajicova posted. This is a perfect example of the incredible depth of artistic talent coming out of Eastern Europe.
(Musical talent, too — you can hardly throw a rock at a folk or classical or whatever kind of band these days without hitting three Russian doctorates in music, two of which are probably held by the same person.)

Sandra Miesel

posted August 24, 2005 at 8:40 am

Anybody remember the sculptor Ivan Mestrovich, refugee from the former Yugoslavia who worked at Notre Dame and left several fine works there?
Although the “high” visual arts of the 20th C were sadly decadent, we’ve seen an incredible revival of fine crafts in glass, wood, fiber, ceramics, metalworking. But these don’t get the attention and church commissions aside, aren’t terribly relevant to the “Christian art” debate.

hieronymus

posted August 24, 2005 at 9:38 am

Nearly all of the worthwhile visual art of the last century has been ignored by the “fine art” world and its critics and academic apologists. The “fine art” world is a useless, ugly monster. You’ll find much better art by ignoring it altogether, and looking to places where artists are still bound to some standard of crftmanship.

john c

posted August 24, 2005 at 11:57 am

How old was John the Baptist, again?

Sandra Miesel

posted August 24, 2005 at 1:13 pm

The only 20th C sculptures we have in our house are by Eskimos

john c

posted August 24, 2005 at 5:18 pm

The only 20th C sculptures we have in our house are by Eskimos
Cool. I live right near the factory where they make em. (Have we had this conversation before?)

Maureen

posted August 25, 2005 at 10:46 am

Btw, last night I discovered that Russian readers have defined a new subgenre they call “sacral fantastica”. (Fantastica is their name for the whole science fiction – fantasy -horror area. I have to admit I enjoy this umbrella term much more than that cold, old “speculative fiction” that people keep trying to get American fans to use.) It’s a perfectly logical subgenre to have, in a Russia where Komsomolskaya Pravda headlines a monk cured by a bleeding icon of the Mother of God.
There seem to be some extremely interesting essays on this topic out there, and it seems to provide some kind of window into how Russian folks are working on reintegrating religion into ordinary life, and what religion’s relationship with science and technology should be. Since a lot of these essays are freely available online, I’m going to delve into this and try to get something up in the next few days, hopefully including some kind of “I haven’t read this but Russians call this sacral fantastica” reading list.
In the meantime, those of you who can read Russian might want to check out a Livejournal community on this topic, as it has tons of links on the topic: http://www.livejournal.com/community/sacral_fantasy/