Via Media

Via Media

Enshrined

posted by awelborn

Very nice book signing gig at the Basilica Shrine of the Immaculate Conception today. I will blog more about our entire weekend when we return home tomorrow, but for right now, let me just say how amazed and generally bowled-over I was today to meet so many wonderful blog-readers. It’s quite late, so at the risk of omitting someone, let me tell y’all whom I met:

First, fellow-bloggers Eve Tushnet and David Alexander came by. David really did have a black hat, and I was just so delighted to meet Eve, who was the second Catholic blogger (after Kathy Shaidle) I read regularly and whose sharp mind and great writing I admire so much!

Then…oh, this is awful. I’m going to forget someone. Thanks to: Jim, Patrick Rothwell, Cheeky Lawyer and family, Mario, Lori, an emissary from Glenn, Tom K for coming by and chatting! As I said, I’m really zonked right now and I now I’ve forgotten a few people.

It was great fun, and I really, really want to come back to DC to do a talk or something. So let’s work on this, people.

Peggy

posted August 8, 2005 at 7:35 am

Hi Amy,
I very much regret that my family did not make it out yesterday. Glad it went so well. My parish regularly holds adult education series on Tuesday nights with guest speakers. We also have “Theology on Tap” in the diocese; one meets at a locally famous Irish pub in Old Town Alexandria. Since we’ve had the little kids, we don’t get out so much to these events.

Jay Anderson

posted August 8, 2005 at 7:58 am

I’m sorry I didn’t get to make it to the Shrine, either. My family is in the middle of a move right now, and I had to stay at home and pack up boxes.
I would have much rather been in D.C.

bruce

posted August 8, 2005 at 8:05 am

I’m glad the signing went so well. It was a pleasure meeting you, if ever so briefly. (This is what I get for showing up so early,pathetic FanBoy that I am). I’ve read most of Here. Now. I went into the Shrine bookshop and recommended they carry the Loyola books, too. Hope that helps. In the meantime I will order the saint book for my kids…they’ll just have to go without an autograph!!! Also, glad that you like the DC area and wish to come back for a talk or whatever. Please do. Sorry I missed some of the other folks, especially Eve Tushnet, whose blog is very good. Au revoir!

Cheeky Lawyer

posted August 8, 2005 at 8:31 am

Amy,
It was great to meet you and some other blog-readers. It was also great to meet Michael. You and Michael are doing great work for the Lord. We were blessed to meet you.
CL

ro

posted August 8, 2005 at 8:38 am

I would have liked to put faces to some of the other bloggers and readers but was too shy to stand around and gawk. Or to get into explaining that I am an occasional commenter with a silly pseudonymous set of initials…
Thought I’d seen the Loyola Kids’ Book of Saints there before, and regretted not buying it for a recent family First Communion (she’s an advanced reader, if it’s generally a little old for second graders.) Maybe for Christmas I’ll order it for the same child.

bruce cole

posted August 8, 2005 at 8:42 am

FURTHER ADVENTURES OF A PATHETIC FAN-BOY – Chapter 2:
So, of course, I then remember that I can order your books directly from you rather than, say, Amazon, and that my children-who-are-blessed-with-such-a-wonderful-dad can get an autographed book….So I did.
FINIS

Patrick Rothwell

posted August 8, 2005 at 9:12 am

Yeah, it was great meeting you, and also seeing some other readers who I know from other circumstances, but didn’t know they were readers. It’s a small world after all…

Sara

posted August 8, 2005 at 2:08 pm

Aw. So nice to put a face with the blog now, especially such a kind one! Hope you had a nice time visiting the shrine (and our beautiful CUA campus?) I know a few people involved in campus ministry there, perhaps they could invite you for a talk sometime. God bless! (the sheepish JPII student who just missed seeing the baby)

Christopher Fotos

posted August 8, 2005 at 2:12 pm

So sorry to have missed you. Every time you come to DC (well, the last two times, when I noticed) I’ve been out of town. Congrats on an all-around successful trip.

Christopher Fotos

posted August 8, 2005 at 2:14 pm

jay

posted August 8, 2005 at 2:16 pm

OT: You have got to be kidding department:

Touchy Tech

posted August 8, 2005 at 5:57 pm

jay,
Oh brother!
“They said Michael Schiavo was a controversial choice, but they decided to honor him because of his commitment to honoring what he says was his wife’s wish to not be kept alive artificially.”
(emphaisi added)
Was that weak or what!

Kimberly

posted August 8, 2005 at 10:38 pm

I hope you are able to make it back to DC sometime soon — I would liked to have met you but I didn’t catch that you would be here until just now since I was in the process of moving here. Glad to hear it went well though!