Via Media

Via Media

Bravo, Bene!

posted by awelborn

German teen mag giving away pope posters:

The decision to include Pope Benedict instead of a pop band is momentous for Bravo, which reports a readership of 1.8m.

"We wanted to do something special for this German pope," said Tom Junkersdorf, editor-in-chief of Bravo.

"He’s a big star in Germany and people want to see him and hear what he’s going to say."

Christine

posted August 17, 2005 at 1:02 pm

I’m glad to see this because I remember shortly after Benedict’s election a dour, leftleaning German woman claimed that most Germans weren’t going to pay much attention to the German Pope.
She may be wrong. This could be an evangelizing moment.
It’s become a bit of a gentle rivalry between my husband and me. Because of the great popularity of the Polish Pope and hubbie’s Polish roots he mentioned their ethnic ties quite frequently. Now I get to smile and say “My turn!”

Dorian Speed

posted August 17, 2005 at 2:30 pm

I want one!

Cheeky Lawyer

posted August 17, 2005 at 2:54 pm

I was at WYD 2002. It was a time of great hope and personal renewal. But I have to say, that the reports about WYD 2005 are even more encouraging for me. Now I don’t think Europe is going to be reChristianized tomorrow. But I do believe that these young people, especially the European young people, are going to be offering something new (and yet old) and beautiful to the world. They are the ones who will have hope while their contemporaries are caught up in the banalities of the world. And I think more than a few people who are used to the insipid nature of the world will find the proposal of Christ striking and come to him because of these young people. This poster in a secular magazine is just one data point but it is indicative of the ferment that is there below the surface.

Ruth

posted August 17, 2005 at 4:53 pm

With my limited German, I just registered on their message board asking how we could get a poster here. I figure the chances are nil, but I’d love to have one and wanted them to know it.

John Farrell

posted August 17, 2005 at 5:09 pm

Even my Slovenian in-laws are psyched (which is the equivalent of the Irish getting excited about an English pope!).

Kevin

posted August 17, 2005 at 5:15 pm

Fascinating. B16 and Lindsay Lohan in the same magazine. Hope the Enquirer isn’t going to put him on the cover too. Who knows what that headline would be.

DJP

posted August 17, 2005 at 7:13 pm

Our God is awesome and the spirit will move peoples’ hearts. Jesus is Lord!

Cheryl

posted August 17, 2005 at 7:16 pm

Of course this very cool poster can be found on ebay already for the low low price of $18.99…

Jenn

posted August 18, 2005 at 12:28 am

You haven’t arrived until someone is trying to cash in on your image on eBay.

Christine

posted August 18, 2005 at 9:40 am

“I have friends in Germany, in Bavaria, and I’m so happy for them. Really, this means a lot more to them as a nation than we as Americans can probably appreciate.”
Yes indeed. I am also deeply moved by the Pope’s words as he arrived in Germany:
“Next the Holy Father spoke of the “rich patrimony of Germany,” which “even today, in the heart of Europe, bears witness to the fecundity of the faith and the Christian tradition.” He mentioned some of the great Christian witnesses of the region around Cologne, including St. Boniface, St. Ursula, St. Albert the Great, and St. Theresa Benedicta of the Cross (Edith Stein). The 20th WYD in Cologne, he said, would be a new “sign of the Church’s vitality” in Germany.”

julian

posted August 19, 2005 at 2:15 pm

I can see it now: Papal Trading Cards
Timmy: I’ll trade you five Paul VIs for a John Paul the Great and a Benedict XVI.
Jimmy: No way! You’ll have to give me a Ven. Pius XII and three post-conciliar Paul VIs if you want to talk about a Benedict XVI.
Timmy: Deal. Did you hear Biff got a St. Pius X?
Jimmy: No. That’s the rarest of the set!