Via Media

Via Media

Another step…

In the UK, screening embryos for the eye cancer gene

Comments read comments(7)
post a comment

posted August 22, 2005 at 8:58 am

*paraphrase on*
“I can’t stand to see another of my kids suffer, so I’ll have them killed off instead. As long as I don’t see it, it’ll be okay.”
*paraphrase off*
It’s really terrible to see how people’s real and loving emotions are twisted by this culture of death we’re in. If this woman ever figures out what she was tricked into doing, she’ll be in a sad way.

report abuse

Cacoethes Scribendi

posted August 22, 2005 at 9:04 am

How is this different from eugenics?

Now, doctors in the UK can screen embryos for retinoblastoma, even though it’s 95% curable. For years, we’ve been doing the same thing, more-or-less, with Down’s syndrome and other abnormalities that are easy to detect in the womb. …

report abuse


posted August 22, 2005 at 9:54 am

I was watching “The Boy Who Lost His Skin”, about a man whose skin constantly falls off, and both he and his mother supported “termination” of such children. One of the themes he kept stressing was that he had something to learn in life, that’s why he’s here. Somehow, he didn’t realize that those aborted children have something to learn too, pain and all…

report abuse

Cranky Lawyer

posted August 22, 2005 at 11:32 am

My fourth son was diagnosed with retinoblastoma at the tender age of 3 days. Upon further review, however, he didn’t have cancer after all, rather a benign condition affecting his lens.
In other words, mistakes are made under the best of circumstances. Such mistakes have certainly been used to powerful effect by death penalty opponents.
They should give everyone pause in the eugenics movement as well.

report abuse

john c

posted August 22, 2005 at 1:09 pm

They should give everyone pause in the eugenics movement as well.
Here’s a tip: It won’t. When they say better safe than sorry, they mean it’s better a hundred healthy children die than one imperfect child be born.

report abuse

scotch meg

posted August 22, 2005 at 2:50 pm

Many years ago, BK, I remember reading about a couple who aborted a baby who was 25% likely to become a criminal, according to genetic counseling at the time. The father was a policeman. I remember thinking — and what about the other 75%, and what about your own parenting? This is more of the same thinking. I as parent can’t cope, so you as child can’t live. I am not denigrating the troubles children and parents suffer (I have a kid with a heart condition) — but surely killing isn’t the solution.

report abuse


posted August 23, 2005 at 1:19 pm

And remember the flip side of this — what happens to Those Perfect Children? Baby Boomers’ genetically-screened Mini Me’s who Must Be Perfect (especially more perfect than all the other Baby Boomer Mini-Me’s)?
Ever heard of Dallas Egbert III?

report abuse

Post a Comment

By submitting these comments, I agree to the terms of service, rules of conduct and privacy policy (the "agreements"). I understand and agree that any content I post is licensed to and may be used by in accordance with the agreements.

Previous Posts

There is nothing I shall want
A couple of weeks ago, a memorial Mass for Michael was held here in Birmingham at the Cathedral. The bishop presided and offered a very nice, even charming homily in which he first focused on the Scripture readings of the day, and then turned to ...

posted 9:24:16am Mar. 05, 2009 | read full post »

Revolutionary Road - Is it just me?
Why am I the only person I know..or even "know" in the Internet sense of "knowing"  - who didn't hate it? I didn't love it, either. There was a lot wrong with it. Weak characterization. Miscasting. Anvil-wielding mentally ill prophets.But ...

posted 9:45:04pm Mar. 04, 2009 | read full post »

Books for Lent
No, I'm not going to ask you about your Lenten reading lists...although I might.Not today, though. This post is about giving books to others. For Lent, and a long time after that. You know how it goes during Lent: Prayer, Fasting and ...

posted 9:22:07pm Mar. 04, 2009 | read full post »

Why Via Media
How about....because I'm lame and hate thinking up titles to things? No? about...St. Benedict? Yes, yes, I know the association with Anglicanism. That wasn't invovled in my purpose in naming the joint, but if draws some Googling ...

posted 8:54:17pm Mar. 04, 2009 | read full post »

Brave Heart?
I don't know about you, but one of effects of childbirth on me was a compulsion to spill the details. All of them.The whole thing was fascinating to me, so of course I assumed everyone else should be fascinated as well in the recounting of every ...

posted 10:19:45pm Mar. 03, 2009 | read full post »


Report as Inappropriate

You are reporting this content because it violates the Terms of Service.

All reported content is logged for investigation.