Via Media

Via Media

Getting Byzantine

posted by awelborn

From a reader:

The following may be of interest to those who like to listen to
liturgical music. Recently, the Metropolitan Cantor Institute
(Ruthenian Metropolitan Church of Pittsburgh) put these recordings
online:

Sunday Matins Tone 4:

and

The Resurrection Matins for Pascha:

These are high quality mp3 recordings entirely in English of
liturgical services from the Byzantine Church.

Jonathan

posted July 4, 2005 at 9:23 am

Amy,
Thank you for posting this. I’ve been on a bit of an Eastern Catholic kick lately and this music is a blessing.
Thanks,
Jonathan

Nerina

posted July 4, 2005 at 5:08 pm

Really beautiful vocals. The songs are actually sung IN PARTS (imagine, sopranos, altos, tenors and basses). Oh, if we could have just one of these chants incorporated into our liturgy…in reality, though, it would sound horribly out of place with the bongos and 5 guitars.

John Murray

posted July 4, 2005 at 6:48 pm

Our Byzantine church doesn’t sound quite this good, but it sounds really good all the same. Even *I* sing, which I hated as a Roman Catholic. Luckily the music isn’t too hard to sing, in terms of range or quick movements up or down.
I think of Thomas Day–the cantors are in back where you can’t see them. The Eastern way is not to use instruments, so there’s no organ (or guitars or bongos, no lutes, no zithers etc.). The priest (baritone) and deacon (bass) don’t sound as if they have trained voices and the cantors have told me they can’t read music. Put it all together and it really sounds.
Father says the people believe it’s their responsibility to sing–but how they did they get to that point? It’s really something. It glorifies God in ways I never thought of before. Anyway, thanks for posting that Amy.

Lawrence King

posted July 4, 2005 at 6:58 pm

This is beautiful.
And the psalms are the Grail translation (the best). It’s odd to hear them with these melodies….

hieronymus

posted July 5, 2005 at 8:40 am

You can get more here, albeit of lower-quality.
And here, although they’re amateur recordings.
I went Byzantine this Sunday, here. What a remarkable parish.

John Gibson

posted July 5, 2005 at 9:31 am

Annunciation’s own choir is producing their own CD also. It is amazing what the parish does with music.
Since the whole liturgy is chanted, everyone is singing. And all of this is done without any instruments.
Fr. Loya also has a radio show on Relevant Radio called “Light of the East.”

Cornelius AMDG

posted July 5, 2005 at 11:14 am

I haven’t listened to all of it, but what I did hear sounds a lot like a high Angligan/Episcopal service.

Mark R

posted July 5, 2005 at 12:31 pm

I used to cantor at Byzantine rite services. It turned out to be an excellent theological schooling as well.

brsebastian

posted July 5, 2005 at 5:06 pm

Nerina,
You can have music this beautiful at Latin Rite services, as soon as the Vatican II renewal hits your parish :-) Seriously, the beauty of Gregorian Chant is just waiting for implementation (I have a friend who heard some at a Latin Rite service at Mundelein Seminary and was awed). The Byzantine Rite shows that the congregation can sing chant quite well.

brsebastian