Via Media

Via Media

Blogger Bleg

posted by awelborn

No, not me. Mary of Veritatis Splendor writes that she would like to help a priest friend of hers, now pastor of two rural parishes, in need of silver chalices to replace glass. She is looking for someplace that sells quality used/antique chalices, reasonably. She mentioned this place, but said it was expensive. I’m pretty sure I wrote an article on this a few years ago, and interviewed someone who "rescues" such church items, but I can’t remember the site. I don’t think it was the one she mentioned.

Anyone? Anyone?

ambrose

posted July 17, 2005 at 11:47 pm

It seems with all the fuss being made there can’t be some sort of exchange program where the larger parishes that might have an excess of silver chalices (or whatever liturgical gear is required) can get them in the hands of smaller parishes. Like a Catholic Craig’s List.
There is one on ebay that right now is $103, btw.

F. C. Bauerschmidt

posted July 18, 2005 at 6:50 am

I put in my vote for ebay. If you were willing to spend a couple of hundred dollars, you could get something pretty nice.
It will be interesting to see if the move from glass/pottery to precious metal will drive up prices on ebay.

Chris-2-4

posted July 18, 2005 at 7:24 am

Can parishes actually put consecrated chalices and such on sale at E-bay?
Isn’t that Simony?

chris K

posted July 18, 2005 at 7:33 am

One of the “good things” the Catholic Missions Office does is ask for people to donate chalices for third world country newly ordained priests whose families cannot afford to buy them a chalice. (You can have your name engraved and thus be remembered at every mass celibrated by the priest). These are relatively inexpensive, so they may be able to give you a source for their chalices…or, for a donation, even send you one. Anyway, you might contact:
Susan Tassone (the Purgatory Lady!)
Catholic Missions Office
Society for the Propagation of the Faith
721 North LaSalle Street
Chicago, IL 60610-3752
This is a great place to easily have masses said quickly (by the third world country priests whose only income may be these mass stipends) for living, dead,…and Gregorian masses.

Julia

posted July 18, 2005 at 7:53 am

The Catholic Extension Society assists poor parishes and diocese in the United States. I know that it gives assistance to some parishes in the Diocese of Belleville.
If you google the society and contact them, I’ll bet somebody there could either help or steer you in the right direction.
Other suggestion: That church in Chicago that Amy linked – scroll back to find it or I’ll find it after I post this. Anyway, on their website it says that they have a mission of rescuing Catholic art and church artifacts. That could also be a source.

Julia

posted July 18, 2005 at 7:55 am

Here is the Chicago parish that rescues discarded chuch stuff.

Julia

posted July 18, 2005 at 8:01 am

Here is the link to the Catholic Extension Society.
I hadn’t thought about that group in years. My parents always had a copy of their monthly magazine lying about the house. It specializes in helping rural parishes.
Good luck

Sr. Lorraine

posted July 18, 2005 at 9:06 am

With all the churches being closed in Boston, there must be some extra chalices around. I don’t know who would have info about it.
One church that was closed donated all its church goods to a new church being built in Central America. Some of the parishioners made the trip themselves to bring the goods in person.

Sandra Miesel

posted July 18, 2005 at 9:38 am

Antique dealers, whether or not they specialize in church goods, sometimes have such things. I gave my parish a chalice bought from a silver dealer who’d bought it with a load of scrap for melting. It’s a pity that Ft. Wayne’s dealer in church antiques closed a couple of years ago.
Silver goods on e-bay are often cheap.Try google, too, to find dealers.

Septimus

posted July 18, 2005 at 10:17 am

I’d be interested in knowing if anyone can point to an organization, and/or website, that has a broader selection of used church art and fixtures, things like baptismal fonts, altar rails, artwork, etc.

george

posted July 18, 2005 at 12:02 pm

http://www.catholic.org/shopping has a list of places that sell Catholic goods.

chris K

posted July 18, 2005 at 1:52 pm

Try getting in contact with this guy:

Steve Skojec

posted July 18, 2005 at 5:54 pm

Can parishes actually put consecrated chalices and such on sale at E-bay?
Isn’t that Simony?

That’s a good question. I’ve been trying to figure that out for a while. My wife and I like to buy old rosaries (if they’re damaged she makes new ones from the parts) or scapulars, etc. – and we’ll often find things that are blessed, or more sacred items such as chalices, patens, monstrances, etc.
In one case, I believe we attempted to purchase a silver patten from the 1800s for a seminarian friend of ours. But we felt kind of creepy about it.
I don’t really want to encourage people to sell these sacred things, but I’ve never been sure whether or not this falls under the category of Simony. Simony – as I understood it – applied most specifically to relics.
Does anyone know more about this?