Via Media

Via Media

Confiteor

posted by awelborn

A round-up of Passion-related confessions

Fr. Brian Stanley

posted March 31, 2004 at 10:48 am

Where’s the report on all the anti-semitic crimes perpetrated in the name of the film?
You mean to tell me that not one anti-semitic crime has been uncovered in among the 300 million plus population of the US, considering that millions have seen the film? How about Europe? Where are the anti-semitic crimes that are attributed to viewers of TPOTC?
Like Louis, the police chief in Casablanca, I confess that, “I’m shocked — shocked, I tell you.”

Donald R. McClarey

posted March 31, 2004 at 11:47 am

Amazing what happens when people come face to face with a powerful dramatic representation of what the Catholic Church has bean preaching for 2000 years.

David

posted March 31, 2004 at 12:20 pm

Ok, ok. I confess.
I haven’t seen The Passion yet.

Mark Shea

posted March 31, 2004 at 1:07 pm

As one of my readers said, the body count from Passion-related pogroms stands at a staggering zero–and it’s doubling every day!

Meggan

posted March 31, 2004 at 2:50 pm

I looked around a little on the net for articles mentioning anti-semitic incidents related to The Passion. I only came up with three incidents of vandlism (graffiti) which were thought to have been caused by the movie.
The strangest Passion related incident was from a Connecticut (I think) newspaper about a woman who purposely drove her car into a brook at a local park. She told police that she was attempting to re-enact a scene from The Passion of the Christ.
I can’t remember which scene had a car driving into a brook.
As far as I know this story is real and from a real newspaper. But I’ve been fooled before.
Here’s where I found it:

Jesse

posted March 31, 2004 at 3:07 pm

this reminds me of what a 14 year old boy said after seeing The Passion, ‘This movie makes me want to be good.’

Grant Gallicho

posted March 31, 2004 at 4:46 pm

This isn’t anti-Semitic, just crazy: a couple of weeks ago the wires reported that a man in Maine tried to crucify himself. He survived.

Michael

posted March 31, 2004 at 6:43 pm

Grant, How did he pound the nail into his other hand?

michigancatholic

posted March 31, 2004 at 8:13 pm

Michael, that’s when they caught him.