Most of us at one point or another have looked for secrets to losing weight and looking beautiful, particularly if those secrets to losing weight and looking beautiful involve short cuts to our goals. Unfortunately, there aren’t very many, if any, healthy short cuts to losing unwanted pounds and maintaining a youthful appearance. Despite this, there are some things in our daily lives that impact our weight loss success and skin appearance. Changes to these factors are some of the true secrets to losing weight and having younger-looking skin. One of these secrets to losing weight and looking beautiful is reducing your daily stress.
Recent studies have reported that stress causes some people to gain weight and can make it harder to lose weight. One study demonstrated a strong link between weight gain and certain types of stress in overweight/obese individuals . The types of stress linked to weight gain included difficulty paying bills, greater job-related demands, strain in family relationships, and a lack of decision-making authority at work, among others. Another study reported that higher levels of cortisol, a stress hormone, were linked to larger waist sizes and higher consumption of fats, carbohydrates, and overall calories in obese women .
Numerous studies have also reported a link between stress and skin health . Two of the most important factors related to younger-looking skin are healthy skin collagen levels and a healthy immune system. Studies have indicated that various everyday stressors like job interviews and a lack of sleep can increase stress hormones that start a cascade of events that lead to a breakdown in skin collagen and suppression of the skin’s immune functions. This can lead to premature skin aging, a loss of skin hydration, and a reduction in the skin’s ability to heal.
These and other results suggest that minimizing our daily stress levels might be one of the secrets to losing weight and looking beautiful. While there are probably hundreds of ways to combat stress, I’ve outlined a few ideas below:
- Find ways to relax – enjoy nature in a quiet spot, work on a hobby you like, talk and laugh with trusted family members and friends, or listen to your favorite music.
- Learn to say no – saying yes to all requests might make you feel that others are taking advantage of you, causing undue stress.
- Laugh out loud – laughter can relieve stress and lighten one’s mood.
- Treat yourself – Take a day or half a day and do something for yourself.Take a nap – naps may help reduce stress and increase alertness and productivity
Stress can come from many sources and can sneak up on us before we realize it. Be proactive and incorporate some stress-relieving activities into your daily routine. You might find that reducing your daily stress level might be one of your great secrets to losing weight and a healthy, youthful appearance. There are many secrets to losing weight and looking beautiful and it is up to us to find the secrets that work best for ourselves.
Remember that our true beauty starts inside!
Please “LIKE” the Facebook® button, email questions to Doc@DrTabor.com, and post a Comment.
Aaron Tabor, MD
Diet, Anti-Aging, and Nutritional Cosmetic Expert
Author of Dr. Tabor’s Diet and FIGHT NOW: Eat & Live Proactively Against Breast Cancer.
Learn more about Dr. Tabor’s diet and anti-aging research at www.DrTabor.com.
- Block JP, et al. Psychosocial stress and change in weight amount U.S. adults. American Journal of Epidemiology 2009; 170:181-192.
- Vicennati V, et al. Cortisol, energy intake, and food frequency in overweight/obese women. Nutrition 2011; Article in Press, published online October 11, 2010.
- Kahan V, et al. Stress, immunity and skin collagen integrity: evidence from animal models and clinical conditions. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity 2009; 23:1089-1095.