The New Christians

The Greatest TV Show of All Time

posted by Tony Jones
Seinfeld

800px-Tom's_Restaurant,_Seinfeld.jpg

Patrick Marshall

posted June 14, 2009 at 10:14 am

I’m gonna have to go with The Wonder Years on this one. Seinfeld was hysterical and original, but it didn’t have near the depth that The Wonder Years did. The Wonder Years defined generations, while Seinfeld merely pointed a finger at generations. Besides, anyone who has seen Curb Your Enthusiasm knows that Seinfeld isn’t even the best Larry David show.

Blake Huggins

posted June 14, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Hmm. Seinfeld is good, but I think I’d have to go with The West Wing. Love me some Jed Bartlet.

Jnise

posted June 14, 2009 at 1:32 pm

could not agree more. what more can any human ask for?

Tim

posted June 14, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Heretic!
Blasphemer!
Now you’ve gone too far… Seinfeld is not even the best one word title TV show…
Monk
House
MASH
Raymond (okay, I cheated on that one)

Adin

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Star Trek (TNG)
Arrested Development
Mushi-Shi

Debra

posted June 14, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Seinfeld was a very mean spirited show. I didn’t care for it at all.

Darren King

posted June 14, 2009 at 8:27 pm

Debra,
The mean-spiritedness was meant to be ironic commentary.
For me, while Seinfeld is definitely in the top 10, “Lost” takes the number one prize.

TracieG

posted June 14, 2009 at 11:53 pm

Right you are!!!
It’s not really mean spirited – it’s irony. The main characters are meant to point out the parts of ourselves that are shallow and mean spirited. It looks like they’re making fun of a lot of people but really … they’re making fun of those of us that think we’re so cool and together. We’re the brunt of the joke. I love it!

Ken Bussell

posted June 15, 2009 at 2:35 am

Rarely a day goes by that I do not find reason to quote from a Seinfeld episode. It is a show about nothing, which makes it about everything. Genius.

Richard Jones

posted June 15, 2009 at 12:09 pm

You know, I really enjoy Seinfeld. But, in the final episode when the main characters are on trial, you see that they really have no redeeming characteristics. None. They all are miserable human beings. All of them: Jerry, George, Elaine, Kramer. Maybe that is their appeal.

Ted Seeber

posted June 15, 2009 at 2:01 pm

If this was the greatest TV show to one of the leaders of emergence- then the last episode where all the characters are shown to have no redeeming qualities and are just shallow human beings with no depth sure shows me the *why* behind the giant gulf I sometimes see between American Protestantism and old world Catholicism.

Kyle Nolan

posted June 15, 2009 at 8:33 pm

False. Cheers.

Alan K

posted June 16, 2009 at 3:39 pm

60 Minutes and The Simpsons. No debate.

Kris

posted June 17, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Yada Yada Yada!
I moved to London about 9 months ago and very few people here have ever heard of Seinfeld…it’s like watching it for the first time all over again.

Your Name

posted June 20, 2009 at 9:07 pm

The greatest TV show is on Sunday morning (other times in different
areas) that reaches throughout the world and that is “The Hour of Power” with Pastor Schuller. This is the only program I will watch on a regular basis. It is uplifting, informative, and stands for the only thing in this world that has maintained the moral values and
teachings of our FATHER, who is in heaven and gave HIS only SON,
JESUS, as a sacrifice for all of our sin. Sin to which this nation is returning to as did every “tribe” throughout history. In the end
HIS glory WILL shine through even if HE has to destroy what we deem as human kind. TO GOD be the Glory.

tghali

posted June 22, 2009 at 4:54 pm

I remember the moment that I knew things were going to be ok for me at this church. I was teaching in youth group and the only illustration I could think to use was the time when George decided to do the opposite of whatever he was doing. Not only did my students understand the connection with the last being first and vice-versa, but a common bond formed among us Seinfeld watchers.
Oh there was also the time when the projector wasn’t working and in my frustration I yelled, “Serenity Now!” which was quickly followed by, “Insanity later”.