The New Christians

The Greatest Novel of All Time

posted by Tony Jones
The Brothers Karamozov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Dostoevskij_1872.jpg

ian Scott Paterson

posted June 10, 2009 at 8:32 am

Are you posing value statements as fact, Dr. Jones?
How very postmodern of you — Ian

Mark Van Steenwyk

posted June 10, 2009 at 9:18 am

Tony, I agree. There must have been something in the water in pre-revolutionary and revolutionary Russia that has inspired some of the greatest novels ever. Period. And the Brothers Karamozov is the best of the bunch.

Kristen

posted June 10, 2009 at 3:29 pm

I managed to get about 1/4 of the way through before giving up in despair of ever finding a plot.
So many people love it though. I must just be uncultured.

H.S.

posted June 10, 2009 at 4:39 pm

Tony Jones: Agreed
Kristen: Some books offer plots, some offer worlds. There’s a plot in there somewhere, though.

Tyler Mahoney

posted June 11, 2009 at 12:07 am

Woah, woah, woah, is this book even in Oprah’s Book Club?

Alan K

posted June 11, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Two for two. First, “Kashmir” and now “The Brothers Karamazov”. Thanks for helping us think about whatever is pleasing, commendable, excellent and worthy.

Dave H.

posted June 12, 2009 at 10:56 am

Dang.
“Rebellion.”
I’ve never recovered..

Kevin Pent

posted June 12, 2009 at 10:56 am

There are few books that speak to me profoundly; this is one of those few. In my estimation it trumps even Tolstoy’s War and Peace and is without a doubt, my fav!! Dostoyevsky leads an entourage of some of the greatest authors ever: Turgenev, Tolstoy, Pushkin, Chekhov, Akhmatova . . . A country with one of the bleakest histories imaginable has produced some of the worlds greatests artists!

Adam

posted June 12, 2009 at 12:38 pm

The Brother’s are great! Check out this very helpful vlog on the book: http://ravenfoundation.org/Blog.aspx?cid=7&Page=2

bob hempen

posted June 18, 2009 at 12:54 pm

The words of father Zossima(sp?) are more inspiring to me than most of the devotional books I’ve ever read.

best cure for plantar fasciitis

posted June 18, 2014 at 8:37 am

Benhinneinflammation i t.Ex. Underbenet är en överbelastning av skenbenet. Överbelastningen orsakar spänning och sammandragningar i benhinnan. Detta kan ge smärtor vid ansträngning både på in-, och utsidan av skenbenet. Vid ökad belastning blir smärtan intensivare.

top credit repair companies

posted July 23, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Appreciate it for all your efforts that you have put in this. Very interesting information. “There is still no cure for the common birthday.” by John Glenn.

Virgilio Magliano