The New Christians

The New Christians

The Official Band of the Emergent Church Is…Who?

posted by Tony Jones

Leave it to Rick to finish his countdown of emergent music by naming a band that no one has Arcade Fire.jpgever heard of as the official band of emergent Christianity.

OK, I suppose that some people have heard of Arcade Fire. But not me. Now I’ll have to buy their music. Here’s Rick:

An
indictment of the American religious condition and Western culture that
is only saved through personal responsibility for the needed changes
based in community and hope for the future sounds like a Christian
movement I want to be a part of. In fact, it sounds like a Christian
movement I am part of. And that is why consider Arcade Fire the
official band of Emergent.

Silly me.  I thought he’d name my Pandora station as the soundtrack of emergent!

Blair Bertrand

posted April 13, 2009 at 9:20 am

They are Canadian so I can understand your imperial ignorance.

Charlie

posted April 13, 2009 at 9:41 am

Hilarious. What’s funny is that somebody had Neon Bible playing on and off throughout the Great Emergence event in Memphis out near the registration table. :)

Andrew Tatum

posted April 13, 2009 at 9:44 am

You’ve seriously never heard of Arcade Fire? I take back everything I ever said about emergent just being a bunch of trendy, hip, white guys.

jhimm

posted April 13, 2009 at 10:24 am

ok, wow. who hasn’t heard of Arcade Fire?!?!
/pig piling insults

Mark Van Steenwyk

posted April 13, 2009 at 11:17 am

I agree with Andrew…it isn’t as though we’re talking about some fringe band…its Arcade Fire! ;)

Gideon

posted April 13, 2009 at 11:27 am

Ha! Awesome. Good choice…
In particular, “Intervention” is really good. You can give it a free listen here:

Paul Berry

posted April 13, 2009 at 11:43 am

Really, Arcade Fire? I love Arcade Fire. They provide productivity music for me at least once a week. But from a theological point of view, could “My Body is a Cage” be more gnostic? “My body is a cage/that keeps me from dancing/with the one I love/but my mind holds the key.”

Ted Seeber

posted April 13, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Still, I think I’m finally beginning to get this emergence thing figured out. You’re making *some* of the mistakes the “Spirit of” Vatican II people did, but at least, like them, your intentions are good…which is more than I can say for the “Christianity defined by Hatred in the Lessons of Ayn Rand” crowd.

Mike Stavlund

posted April 13, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Unbelievable! Shame on you, Tony Jones! How dare you question something as canonical as AF?!
Before Bon Iver, There was Arcade Fire. And they were good.
You’re not even worthy to re-post Rick’s stuff. Unbelievable.

tripp fuller

posted April 14, 2009 at 12:24 pm

I heard Leonard Sweet tell a crowd multiple times how amazing arcade fire was so I bought the CD and listened to it twice. Since Sweet is beyond emerging now let’s let him have arcade fire.

Ryan

posted April 14, 2009 at 11:39 pm

Romantica is the sometimes-house band at House of Mercy in St. Paul and a great band in the tradition of Wilco/Ryan Adams. They’ve always reminded me of the house music at Solomon’s Porch and they have a very earthy sound to compliment their tales of love, God, and Belfast.

Theresa Seeber

posted April 15, 2009 at 6:27 pm

I thought it was The Janks.

click here