The New Christians

The New Christians

Phillip Clayton Wants Me…and You

posted by Tony Jones

Scientist/Theorist/Philosopher of Emergence Biology, Phillip Clayton, speaks directly to me and you.  Honestly, the importance of what he’s saying cannot be overstated.  Watch it…twice.  Then go to YouTube to see my response.

Paul

posted March 6, 2009 at 12:54 pm

TF Torrence wrote on this “upward openness” aka “emergence” more than 20 years ago (from a cosmological perspective) in his book “Divine and Contingent Order”.

davidw

posted March 6, 2009 at 3:04 pm

fantastic to hear! i have a feeling stories from the emergent paradigm will continue to pour in.
i loved your response too. stasis is an apparition, not an actual state of affairs. nice

Blake Huggins

posted March 6, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Great call, great response. I’ll be interested to hear about the gathering next week. I’m excited about the dialogue between academicians and practitioners. I really hope that blossoms into something larger.

Darren King

posted March 6, 2009 at 9:28 pm

This really is tremendously exciting stuff. And really consequential too. For if our basic understanding of how we as human beings evolve leans towards this feedback loop – where conscious intent creates waves that create new structures – then this will fundamentally change how we look at everything, certainly including theology. Because, it’s only when one assumes that stasis should be the goal that a desire for a set-in-stone orthodoxy prevails. Under a stasis-rules mentality, change is inherently bad – a veering off-course, an aberration. But when change itself is seen as the norm. Then it becomes about vibrancy – and just as importantly, intentionality. In other words, as disciples of Christ, what will we choose to create? For once that decision is made, it will in turn create us, and our world. Now how’s that for responsibility and a great commission?

Benjamin

posted March 7, 2009 at 2:01 am

so truth in science is now relative to what time in history we’re in?
i thought shifting truth was boxed into philosophy and ethics. apparently not.
sad day

Larry

posted March 7, 2009 at 9:31 am

“Truth in science” has _always_ been relative to when you lived. Science by its very nature does not, never has, and never will, produce absolute truth.

Brian

posted March 7, 2009 at 9:42 am

Thanks for posting this video. I have been influenced by Clayton’s process theology and postmodern cosmology for a while, so I look forward to a deep discussion about how we can develop practical theology around these ideas.
Also, here is an article by Clayton called, “God Beyond Orthodoxy: Process Theology for the 21st Century.” It’s outstanding. Check out the link below:

Makeesha

posted March 8, 2009 at 1:47 am

watch it twice indeed. now THIS is a conference/conversation I’d pay to go to.

Tony Arens

posted March 9, 2009 at 3:39 pm

“Conscious intent creates waves that create new structures” – finally someone in Emergent-land admits that we too are the Creator!
“As disciples of Christ, what will we choose to create? For once that decision is made, it will in turn create us”. We are all little gods!
Thanks Darren – I’ve been waiting for this for some time!